E-Sports Gamers To Be Tested For Performance Enhancing Drugs

9 replies to this topic

#1 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:25 AM

The Electronic Sports League will begin testing gamers for performance enhancing drugs from August

Professional video gamers will soon be subjected to the same scrutiny as professional athletes.
The largest and oldest professional video game organization, the Electronic Sports League (ESL), announced in a statement Thursday that starting in August they’ll begin testing gamers for performance enhancing drugs.

“As the world’s largest and oldest esports organization, ESL has an ongoing commitment to safeguarding both the integrity of our competitions and that of esports as a whole – we wish to ensure we can provide a fair playing field for all participating players,”a post on ESL’s website reads.

The first tests will be administered at the ESL One Cologne event in August, according to the statement.

Sports Illustrated reports the announcement comes in the wake of a scandal surrounding a team that admitted to taking the anti hyperactivity and attention deficit correction drug Adderall during a recent competition.

http://time.com/3970...sl-drug-doping/

#2 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:52 AM

"the announcement comes in the wake of a scandal surrounding a team that admitted to taking the anti hyperactivity and attention deficit correction drug Adderall"

But but.... doesn't that eliminate like 99.9999999% of the NA gaming population?

#3 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostLORD ORION, on 24 July 2015 - 02:52 AM, said:

"the announcement comes in the wake of a scandal surrounding a team that admitted to taking the anti hyperactivity and attention deficit correction drug Adderall"

But but.... doesn't that eliminate like 99.9999999% of the NA gaming population?

Hehe.... I have a bit of the opposite problem... As long as I'm still allowed my prozac, I'm good :ph34r:

#4 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

Drugs are for the weak.

#5 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:49 AM

Posted Image

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Well high e sport scene has cheaters, I would not wonder if some take other stuff as well already.

#7 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

People are dumb, they even use adderal for magic the gathering. That's like playing roulette on adderal, see how much better you play. But never underestimate the placebo effect.

I understand drugs in sports, they do make you better, and that's exactly what the people want.

#8 Choppah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIn transit, ETA unknown.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

It is amazing what people will do to their body's for an advantage in sports. Do these pro players understand the long term consequences of taking amphetamines? Ironically this drug's side effects could very well limit or outright destroy their ability to play any videogame, just look at these side effects:
  • chest pain, trouble breathing, feeling like you might pass out;
  • hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not real), new behavior problems, aggression, hostility, paranoia;
  • a seizure (convulsions);
  • numbness, pain, cold feeling, unexplained wounds, or skin color changes (pale, red, or blue appearance) in your fingers or toes;
  • muscle twitches (tics);
  • changes in your vision; or
  • unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness (especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine).
  • weight loss;
  • mood changes, feeling nervous;
  • fast heart rate;
  • headache, dizziness;
  • sleep problems (insomnia); or
  • dry mouth.
How would a gamer be able to compete with random muscle twitches screwing up their aim or combos? And there are even more side effects if you wish to look it up. I guess I just can't understand the mindset of trading one's health for money/fame. Hopefully anyone dumb enough to use this drug realizes the error in their ways before it is too late, especially if they are young enough to still be growing.

Edited by Choppah, 27 July 2015 - 07:22 PM.

#9 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

seeing as video games are not real sports and gamers are not real athletes I don't see the big deal is, besides aren't there people who are prescribed such medication for a real problem?

#10 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

If you take drugs to play a sports game, you must really @%*#!

lol.

Maybe it's a perception thing. Hey if I take this maybe my pretend player will score better. Worked for him, didn't it?

Here's a solution. Plug in the Shark card, if you still loose, try this. GET A LIFE!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users