#1 Dace

• Pip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 15 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:52 AM

Hey,

So, quick exposition. I fairly recently restarted playing, sought some advice here on the forums about what mech to pick up first and ended up going with the much suggested (per my clan tech preference) Stormcrow. I have now got, and totally elite'd and unlocked the mastery module slot on all 3 of my Stormcrow's (Prime, C and D for reference) and now I am not such a green pilot any more, I am starting to do decently well in all my games and steadily building up c-bills. The event that's going on just now has given me a big boost in the amount of c-bills I have.

So I find myself wondering what to do now? I have (at time of posting) 16.4m c-bills, 30k gxp.

I have 3 mech bay slots left, so I can basically pick and totally master out another mech if I so choose! My question is; what to do next? I am trying to decide on if I should get another mech, my inclination is leaning towards something different from the SCR but still trying to keep my general preferences (speed, mobility, decent firepower, clan tech preferred but not required this time around) or do I sink all that gxp into modules, and get some of those at 3/6m a go? People keep telling me that modules are "end game content" as far as MWO goes, so given that I am only in possession of 3 mechs; do I build up my collection first?

I have a mind of getting the Arctic Cheetah when it's available for c-bills, but I think i'll have them in 3 months time so no worry there. As it seems like it is almost exactly what I am looking for but not available for us penniless punters yet :D lol.

Anyway; I have rambled long enough I think! Long and short (TL:DR if you will) I am looking for some suggestions for mechs to get next (or if I should get modules, I suppose?) and I figured posting this here was likely to get me a nice variety of responses and I wasn't sure if it fit in the new player area or this one; so if it's misplaced I do apologise and if it gets moved so be it.

So yeah; I am feeling directionless now that I've "completed" the Stormcrows (but still love playing them, but would like something else; a different 'spice of life' and all that) and would like some suggestions or nudges in a direction to go from here!

Cheers; and sorry about the rambling post :D

-Dace

#2 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

If your looking at something like the ACH, you could try to Ice Ferret. It was the king of clan 'lights' (even though it's a medium just like the Cicada) until the ACH was released.

If you don't mind something slower and lighter... I enjoyed both Kit Foxes and Adders. They in a lot of ways play just like SCRs depending on how you build them.

I'm not a great Heavy or Assault pilot, though I did level both HBRs and TBRs and I have my Ebon Jags elited... Unlike most, I never did terribly well in my TBRs, but I do better in my EBJs and HBRs...

#3 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

Kit fox is like an expensive french vase with guns. Very glassy, can pack as much alpha as most mediums. Just swaps armor for a little more speed and firepower. Novas are powerful too if you have heat management skills, wide variety of builds and increased mobility with jump jets. Hellbringer is a nice heavy as well as one of the more balanced mechs (if you take it's lack of quirks as a sign of that) can mount ECM in addition to high torso mounts , it is easy to pick one apart though.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

#4 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

How did you configure your SCRs? Streakboats? Laserbuilds? Would help finding a new Mech for you.
I would say go Nova. I run mine exclusively like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...77c41870df8480a

Tried the Summoner? Not as terribad as most claim. Can be quite a beast when brawling.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6b2233c87b630c
Or as a sniper:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8fcaa9eb6848916

Or you go Gargoyle - an assault medium (I drive mine as a non jumpcabable 80t Nova):
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c46cf69b1f7a315

All those Mechs are being run with their respective weapons cooldown / range modules and radar deprivation and or seismic.

Or an Adder.

As for ECM: everybody loves to drive their Cheetahs and Shadow Cats right now, so there will be plenty of ECM around you and covering you. So you do not really need it for the team.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

You can grab some Hellbringers for ECM or Timberwolves for... well whatever it is those things do (though the high mounted A shoulder with 3 energy is quite fun). You can bring 3 crows and 1 of those to community warfare when you master them.

#6 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hey,
you should take a heavy mech next. If you want a ACH soon, the choice should be something heavier to get a feeling for the different classes. And it's a chance to lvl them to the module slot for all heavy mechs. ;)

Clan mechs like the Hellbringer, Timberwolf and Mad Dog are good mechs with many different options to play them.
You should be able to play any of them like a bigger Stormcrow. Maybe the Mad Dog is not that durable, but it's a good body for SRM ans LRM boating and even lasers will work.

A 80t Gargoyle should be good too, but I did not try that one yet. This would be a choice for something most players don't use and so you will not end up like me in my Hellbringer... running in circles with another ECM/Laser Hellbringer till one gets support or dies... kind of boring sometimes. ;)

#7 Dace

• Pip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 15 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

View Postlatinisator, on 25 July 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

How did you configure your SCRs? Streakboats? Laserbuilds? Would help finding a new Mech for you.
I would say go Nova. I run mine exclusively like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...77c41870df8480a

Tried the Summoner? Not as terribad as most claim. Can be quite a beast when brawling.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6b2233c87b630c
Or as a sniper:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8fcaa9eb6848916

Or you go Gargoyle - an assault medium (I drive mine as a non jumpcabable 80t Nova):
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c46cf69b1f7a315

All those Mechs are being run with their respective weapons cooldown / range modules and radar deprivation and or seismic.

Or an Adder.

As for ECM: everybody loves to drive their Cheetahs and Shadow Cats right now, so there will be plenty of ECM around you and covering you. So you do not really need it for the team.

My 3 SCR's are all built differently, although one of the loadouts is my least played because I have been having such success with one more than the others;

I have one that's 2 LL, 3 ML. One that's 6 SPL, 4 SRM4's with artemis, and one that's 6 MPL's (the least played) and I've been having the most fun/luck in games with the 2LL/3ML as it was the last one I got (so the last to get exp'd up). I've also tried the gauss/ML build, and some other random variation's of my own.

Some interesting other suggestions! I've been theorizing that by the time I get the last of the c-bill rewards from the event. I'll have over 20m, which free's up some more options I guess or at least just gives me more room to get different builds! The TBR and HBR both have been suggested to me by other people and I have been giving them some serious thought (TBR is just so damn iconic and badass to boot!) and the other clan lights have also been tempting. Although the Nova has been suggested lightly I haven't really thought about it too much in honesty! Something JJ capable is something I want to try, as I ran around on the trial Spider a few times and enjoyed it's speed and JJ's, if not much else about the mech lol!

#8 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

My advice? Get the advance seismic sensor module before everything else... why, because almost everyone you are fighting against have them, and they know when you are moving behind a corner , or are in a tunnel, its 17K gxp and 6 mil , and you only need one for starters , but it's value is priceless , I can't perform well with out it anymore..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users