Kernel Power 41

10 replies to this topic

#1 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

Argghh this is killing MWO for me atm.

Play a game[if lucky} and then...."entering powersave" blackscreen and a reboot.

I have upgraded the Bios of the Asus Z97 mark 1, and rebuilt the computer. tweaked video card to performance mode. Power supply is a corsair 850HX to a PNY 770GTX video card. Win 7 Pro. I haven't yet swapped out either of the two 8gb memory sticks. Driver for the video card was 353.3 and then as a possible fix 353.38, after rebuild I kept it at a 347{something} driver. Case is Corsair 540 with h100i watercooling, temps seem good (any idea to "flighrecord" temps in a "dying" computer?)

Next step will be putting in an old video card (Gigabyte 650ti 2gb) andseeingif failure occurs.

I can play World of Warships)sorry..) without a glitch. Again this event only occurs in MWO and not other wise.

memory check of ram was OK.

So, any ideas?

#2 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

Is your CPU overclocked? what temperatures does it reach under MWO?

Failing this being a problem, im going to point the finger at a PSU that's developed a fault. Do you have access to a second PSU you can try?

#3 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

CPU is i7-4770. Nothing is overclocked (system really built for this game).

Yes, second PSU an Antec is kicking around. I thought PSU as a last resort as the Corsair should be rock -solid?

The problem I have with trying to record temp data under game load is the crashing, are there any programs that record temps up until a computer crash?

#4 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostVerkhne, on 26 July 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

CPU is i7-4770. Nothing is overclocked (system really built for this game).

Yes, second PSU an Antec is kicking around. I thought PSU as a last resort as the Corsair should be rock -solid?

The problem I have with trying to record temp data under game load is the crashing, are there any programs that record temps up until a computer crash?

The Corsair unit is one of their good models, but faults are always possible even on the highest of the high end.

You could try using something like MSI Afterburner and make it create a log file for what it records, hopefully..that will persist through the crash.

I think a faulty PSU is more likely.

#5 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

Ah didn't know afterburner could do that! Will give it a try.

#6 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

Interesting . Just got through a game in Tourm, crashed but still alive on rejoin and managed to play through.

Afterburner said at the point of crash my GPU got as hot as 76 degrees Celsius. GPU usage was up to 69%(what does this mean? ) and Power Limit was 95. After I reclogged back in these numbers reached 80, 95 and 100!? I am a neophyte regarding this program so am not sure what it all means.

I have manually adjusted fan speed to 75%9 should I just go 100?)

#7 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

The things to check+change here are essentially every step in your power delivery chain from the outlet to the motherboard. It could be a bad power strip or surge protector, a bad power cable, a bad internal PSU component, a bad PSU to motherboard connecter, or a bad power delivery component on the motherboard. Essentially, something is out of whack delivery-wise and the system is trying to protect itself from extreme highs/lows.

#8 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

@ xWiredx

This all makes sense as well, Win 7 rebuild was at a computer savvy friends house so power strip and cable can be ruled out ( the problem did demonstrate there with his outlet power cable)

So this leaves "a bad internal PSU component, a bad PSU to motherboard connecter, or a bad power delivery component on the motherboard" to investigate.

Update: just tried a game frozen city with adjusted fan setting, still crashed, so VidCard or power issues will need to be looked at.

Edited by Verkhne, 26 July 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#9 Darklekin

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostVerkhne, on 26 July 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Argghh this is killing MWO for me atm.

Play a game[if lucky} and then...."entering powersave" blackscreen and a reboot.

I have upgraded the Bios of the Asus Z97 mark 1, and rebuilt the computer. tweaked video card to performance mode. Power supply is a corsair 850HX to a PNY 770GTX video card. Win 7 Pro. I haven't yet swapped out either of the two 8gb memory sticks. Driver for the video card was 353.3 and then as a possible fix 353.38, after rebuild I kept it at a 347{something} driver. Case is Corsair 540 with h100i watercooling, temps seem good (any idea to "flighrecord" temps in a "dying" computer?)

Next step will be putting in an old video card (Gigabyte 650ti 2gb) andseeingif failure occurs.

I can play World of Warships)sorry..) without a glitch. Again this event only occurs in MWO and not other wise.

memory check of ram was OK.

So, any ideas?

When you did the downgrade to 347.88 (I supose), did you clean the system from previous installed display drivers?, maybe this is why the downgrade didn't work.

try with Display Driver Uninstaller

I read that driver version 350.12 works too, for this issue.

Edited by Darklekin, 27 July 2015 - 09:36 AM.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Are you playing in Full Screen mode? Have you tried playing in Full Window mode?

HWmonitor Pro will allow you to log the data, iirc. You can use the 30day trial period.

Now, you may be approaching this from the wrong direction. You should turn off the Auto system restart on error. The message you are getting on the monitor is that it is no longer getting a signal, so due to its default setup it goes into power saving mode. My does the same thing.

Restarts can be due to a windows error, with auto restart enabled it restarts the system. Another issue is CPU overheating/etc, though that requires monitoring software to determine that, or take the system apart and make sure the heatsink is seated correctly.

#11 Verkhne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

OK, replaced PNY770GTX with an old Gigabyte 650ti. This ran well after driver update to current 353.3 (@Darklekin, computer was rebuilt to the 347 .?? and upgraded after changing video cards).

It ran very well until , it did a "video driver kernel..something. This didn't shut down computer but left game not responding.

At this point, after reading Tarl Cabot's(always bring weapons when none are allowed) post, I wanted to check what start up options were active. Auto system restart was still on so I have changed that.

Plan: Run in full windowed mode with autorestart on system failure disabled.
Buddy is going to bite bullet and run the PNY card on his rig to see if error occurs on his rig (above and beyond...)

Then assess, if card craps out on his computer probably bad vidcard. If not..PSU moves up list. Hopefully gam runs stably tonight.

Edit to say: ran stably tonight, answer pending

Edited by Verkhne, 28 July 2015 - 06:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users