Terrible Timberwolf

21 replies to this topic

#1 SolutionCat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

I mostly pilot IS mechs, but I decided to save up for a clan mech and went with the timberwolf S. It is starting to feel like a mistake, have timberwolves really been nerfed down to be as awful as this mech feels? I can barely get 200 damage on most maps, I frequently overheat and just get my face torn off.

Thinking about selling it, bad idea/good idea?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Problem isn't the mech. It's probably the best mech in the game still/again. What's your build?

#3 TITANIUMsmoothy

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

All mechs suck if not elited, once you max the skills on the timber wolf it becomes the best heavy in the game.

#4 AdrenaHawk

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:46 PM

What you are experiencing is the difference between IS tech and Clan tech. You are frequently overheating because you are used to your ice-cold IS Lasers. You're getting your face torn off because Clan lasers have a significantly longer burn time, so you have to face your opponents longer to do damage. IS mechs can be customized to fit the pilot's playstyle, but with Clan mechs, you have to alter your playstyle to fit the Mech.

If you want to do well with Clan tech you are going to have to learn to manage your heat better and torso twist that damage away from vulnerable sections. Clan weapons have better range than IS in general, so make sure you use it, and the Timberwolf is fast and agile for a Heavy, so don't trade blows if you don't have to. The Timberwolf is a great Mech, but if you can't get used to Clan tech, you'll never do well with it. Sell if it you prefer IS tech, keep it if you want something different from time to time.

#5 Hellion Kell

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

one. don't sell anything.

two. my fav loadout on the timber wolf S is 2 UAC5s and 4 ER medium laser and all you need to do is change out one are omni-pod 4 and 1/2 tons ammo no extra heat sinks.

#6 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:35 AM

Gauss rifle, 4 and a half tons ammo, 5 med lasers.

#7 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:58 AM

their is a difference between piloting IS mechs and Clan mechs, clanners are reckless kamikazes so their mechs have a lot of firepower and a lot of risk of overheating

that being said the timberwolf is one of the greatest mechs in the BT universe. Able to fit into any kind of role, you picked a good mech. You just need to elite it first and foremost and config it. ECM is problematic for missile boat and SRM
streakers these days so you may have to get rid of the timberwolf ears and instead get some lasers and ballistics,

#8 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:04 AM

View PostSolutionCat, on 26 July 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

I mostly pilot IS mechs

I frequently overheat and just get my face torn off.

haha, no wonder

all the clan mechs are toasty, did you think they are easy mode or what

also the timber nerfs mostly affect its laser duration and are irrelevant there, can be mostly avoided with a proper build too

i dunno... try 2 uac-5 4 ml build it shouldn't be too toasty

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 27 July 2015 - 04:05 AM.

#9 fyurian

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:26 AM

Im srry to say that u bought the worst variant of all timberswolf available.
nevertheless there are builds out there that suit it very well.
TBR-S
TBR-S
TBR-S
Get used to heat, a lot of heat...
Stay a bit more at range, yey clantech.

#10 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

View Postfyurian, on 27 July 2015 - 04:26 AM, said:

Im srry to say that u bought the worst variant of all timberswolf available.

lolwhat, tbr-s is one of the best variants

tbr-s has jj in the ct, it means it has 1 jj to help with obstacles while all the other versions pick minimum 2 which also limits their side torso omnipod choice, for quite a lot of builds it's more important than a ct energy point

it's prime which is probably the worst

upd well for 2 uac-5 4ml tbr-s obviously is worse than other versions since you get the redundant 3 jj, 1 in ct and 2 in tbr-s left torso (tbr-s right torso can be swapped to tbr-prime one which also has ballistic)

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 27 July 2015 - 04:48 AM.

#11 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

As an IS pilot what do you do when you see a Timberwolf? Kill it with fire! An unelited TBR runs like a small furnace, even elite it's still an oven, so just keep it firing until it shuts down. TBRs are the main target I think as they are slightly easier to kill than an SCR.

So...what does a TBR pilot do? Watch your heat and don't rush in and get surrounded (at least not until elited). I have done best with 2 UAC5s, 4ERMLs. I wouldn't touch the meta build (2 LPLs, 4 ERMLs until elite). I think the gauss rifle is ok but as I can't hit the inside of a barn door with it I dropped it quickly.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

If you're having a hard time getting the hang of the chassis, try easing yourself in with laservomit. Try two large pulses and three ER meds. If you find yourself wanting more, add two more ER meds for a total of five. It's a very easy build to play: shoot, wait, shoot, go hide in cover until your heat is 30% or so, repeat. Performance is determined by how well you position yourself.

#13 ScreamingSkull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

Play something fun instead of the meta ******* builds people are suggesting. I'm running 1 LBX20, 2 ER MLs, 4 SRM 6 and having fun.

#14 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

Oh, you're from the inner sphere?

This is called: "Heat" Too much of it will shut down your mech, and unfortunately, Clan mechs do not get much in the way of heat quirks.

Good luck!

#15 KhanJames

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationFl

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

Personally most of my timbers are mainly energy. you just have to learn to play differently. Hell i have one which runs 3 erppcs and with proper use never overheats, when im going for a fast kill (say an assault or heavy is rushing me) i can ususally get off 3-4 rapid fire shots before hitting 80/90% to overheat then a double shot shuts you down and usually kills your opponent (again assuming your a decent shot and probably get a little help from team).

Another good way of doing timbers is to combine a LPL with a ERMed (nearly the same burn/run time) get 2 lpl and 2 erM and with a tcomp and you can do pretty good (depending on mastery you can add/remove HS or other weapons and run the ERMeds in a 3rd group as well for when you get high heat).

So mainly use range start wearing them down (slow Accurate fire to control heat), then get close and pound em (Moar Lazer). I have many of the weapons in multiple groups (1LPL 1ERMed x2, 2LPL, 2ERMed) to control heat vs range.

Also dont forget OMNIPODS aka give me more of X weapons (or less to avoid nerf/longer burns). So you never have to sell an omni just buy other pods and tweak until you get the desired result.

And finally avoid going to "meta" because when everyone does it the nerfhammer comes out, and then you have whine and rebuild your mech or try to compensate which only gets harder as the nerfs change.

#16 Hellion Kell

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 27 July 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

As an IS pilot what do you do when you see a Timberwolf? Kill it with fire! An unelited TBR runs like a small furnace, even elite it's still an oven, so just keep it firing until it shuts down. TBRs are the main target I think as they are slightly easier to kill than an SCR.

So...what does a TBR pilot do? Watch your heat and don't rush in and get surrounded (at least not until elited). I have done best with 2 UAC5s, 4ERMLs. I wouldn't touch the meta build (2 LPLs, 4 ERMLs until elite). I think the gauss rifle is ok but as I can't hit the inside of a barn door with it I dropped it quickly.

this seem a good example of a pilot looking at a mech and going OMG I need one, buying one and then realising how hard clan mechs are, we only have heat quirks on the warhawk and the nova not to mention the fact that ALL our lasers and er lasers or stupid hot pulse lasers the best builds for the timby are ones that use ballistic and lasers together like gauss 5 er med, 2 Uac5s and 4 meds or one of my favs on the timby prime 4 er meds 1 LPL and 1 Uac10

Edited by h3llst0mr, 27 July 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#17 Fractis Zero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, Canada

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

If you are running a hot build you can't brawl with TDR-5SS or the likes because they run so much more cooler. The TBR is fast for a heavy, most likely has JJs, and has a high alpha. Use it's strengths and you will soon be wrecking face! If you want to brawl use SRMs and SPL. Greatest thing about TBRs is you can build them however you want and be more then affective.

#18 Fractis Zero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, Canada

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

Keep in mind that the ideal range for most timber wolf builds is 400m. If your build has ER ML then that is the range you will want to maintain.

If you like to snipe use gauss 2 ER PPC. Or if you are not a good shot use gauss and 3 ER LL, this is the build i prefer since i am not a grear shot. The meta build of 2 LPL and 4 ER ML can alpha 2x before over heating with double basics. So manuevers shoot shoot manuevers.

Edited by Fractis Zero, 27 July 2015 - 08:54 AM.

#19 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

Gauss + 2 LPL in the torso's.

Stay at a distance. 500m is good.

Edited by Khereg, 27 July 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#20 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

You can look at this video from before the nerf at my mixed build Timberwolf doing well if you would like to see how Timberwolves are played effectively. If you want to see the mech in solo action search for my solo TBR drops. Nonetheless the concepts are the same. You should use the mech's speed to put it in places where the enemy firing line is weak, use your range advantage as much as possible, and manage your heat well. If you do those things you will be well on your way to being a good TBR pilot.

As you have experienced, the mech is not OP or auto EZ mode, but it is one of the most well rounded mechs out there and worth mastering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users