'mech With Lower Arm Actuators + The Most Ballistics?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:32 PM

Sorry if I'm not describing this well, but I'm looking for 'Mechs that have:

1: Lower arm actuators
2: Ballistic slots

For example:

The Dragon 5N has 3x Ballistic slots, all on the right arm, with arm actuator.
The Shadow Cat P has 3x Ballistic slots, all in the left arm, with an arm actuator.
The Spider 5K has 4x Ballistic slots, 2 in each arm.
The Myst Lynx can mount 3x Ballistics in the arm.
The Kit Fox can mount 3x Ballistics in the arm.
The Vindicator 1X can mount 3x Ballistics in it's left arm.
The Enforcer 5P can mount 4x Ballistics, two in each arm.
The Cataphract 4X can mount 4x Ballistics, two in each arm.
The Battlemaster 1D can mount 3x Ballistics, in the left arm.

What I don't want:

The Centurion-AH has 3x Ballistics in it's right arm, but DOESN'T have a lower arm actuator.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Edited by Night Thastus, 26 August 2015 - 07:01 AM.

#2 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

You know about Smurfy, right? Very good place to start (and the place I'm about to take a quick look).

Following your pattern, it looks like you want those ballistic hardpoints to be in the arms. I notice you didn't include any chassis with ballistics in the torsos.

Most noteworthy chassis with ballistics in the arms, lower arm actuators, and not already on your list:
Panther 10P, 2 ballistics in its right arm.
Quickdraw IV-FOUR, 1 ballistic in each arm.
Thunderbolt 9S and 5S each have 2 ballistics in the left arm.
Cataphract Ilya Muromets has 1 ballistic in each arm.
Mad Dog C has 1 ballistic in each arm.
Hellbringer B has 1 ballistic in each arm.
Victor Dragon Slayer has 2 ballistics in the right arm.
Zeus 6S has 2 ballistics in the left arm.

Looks like you probably found all the ones fitting your requirements with 3+. If you have found a strong reason to maximize lower-actuated arm ballistics, it looks like the Enforcer 5P and Cataphract 4X are the way to go.

Just out of curiosity, what are you planning to do with them?

#3 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

I feel like this more highlights the inefficiencies of the AC 2 more then it highlights the need for a lack of a lower arm actuator.

Having a lower arm ac slot with 3 slots would be fine if there was an option beyond machine guns that you could use.

Tripple UAC2 used to be an option, but its been nerfed into the ground to where it is not a valid option to use anymore.

#4 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

Actually, I used smurfy to make this list. I just figured I might miss some.

As well, this is for MG's (not AC/2s) , since they are a hitscan weapon and them + lower arms = good. :D

My main ideas are:

Spider:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...08e3cb84eea282b

Enforcer:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ff9299e0d13170d

Cataphract: (Warning, dumb)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...77c1ab3a2cc24d0

Edited by Night Thastus, 26 July 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#5 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

Your Spider is nearly an old favorite, except that it needs at least 1 jump jet.

I'm not sure why you're using CASE on the Enforcer, nor how you could possibly use 3 tons of MG ammo. You could drop the CASE, drop 1 ton of ammo, and drop the unnecessary heat sinks (you're already above perfect heat efficiency!) and switch to a decent size standard engine.

That Cataphract is an exercise in absurdity. Thanks for that.

Although you may be right to imply that you can keep MGs on target better with arm actuators, if you own Cicadas, you should probably try this out. It has pretty good torso twist and amazing ER PPC quirks (50% heat reduction!!).

#6 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:38 PM

View PostProfessorD, on 26 July 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

Your Spider is nearly an old favorite, except that it needs at least 1 jump jet.

I'm not sure why you're using CASE on the Enforcer, nor how you could possibly use 3 tons of MG ammo. You could drop the CASE, drop 1 ton of ammo, and drop the unnecessary heat sinks (you're already above perfect heat efficiency!) and switch to a decent size standard engine.

That Cataphract is an exercise in absurdity. Thanks for that.

Although you may be right to imply that you can keep MGs on target better with arm actuators, if you own Cicadas, you should probably try this out. It has pretty good torso twist and amazing ER PPC quirks (50% heat reduction!!).

I actually made that Standard engine Enforcer as well, I just thought the benefits outweighed the drawbacks for adding an XL. The case on the original one I showed is to keep leg ammo explosions from reaching the side torso. On a medium, it's pretty valuable, especially with XL.

(Here is the version with standard engine I would personally use): http://mwo.smurfy-ne...15de5967873ff94

However, I could do that as well, and it's certainly cheaper.

I already have the Cicada with 4x MG + 1x ERPPC. I absolutely love the thing.

Edited by Night Thastus, 26 July 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#7 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 26 July 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

I actually made that Standard engine Enforcer as well, I just thought the benefits outweighed the drawbacks for adding an XL. The case on the original one I showed is to keep leg ammo explosions from reaching the side torso. On a medium, it's pretty valuable, especially with XL.

That's not how CASE works in MWO. In MWO, CASE only keeps damage that starts in the side torso from traveling towards the center torso. That's it. It does not prevent damaging traveling into the side torso from an arm/leg at all.*

Usually, if you mount ammo in a side torso, and it gets destroyed, you lose the side torso completely. Also usually, the damage from the ammo explosion is so high that you have a bunch of "left over" damage left even after your ST gets popped. Say your ammo explosion deals 40 points of damage, and your ST containing the ammo only had 10 points of internal structure left. Well, 10 of those 40 points take out your ST - now there's 30 points of damage left over.

These get applied to the CT, but there's a damage reduction mechanic. Whenever damage transfers from one 'Mech component to another, it loses 60% (I think, the actual number may be a bit off) of its potency. So your 40-point ammo explosion deals 10 points to your ST, taking it out entirely, and then proceeds to deal a further 12 points (40% of the remaining 30 points) of damage to your CT. This is why you hardly ever see anyone use CASE even on STD engine builds - it just doesn't add much protection.

If an ammo explosion occurs in your leg or arm, destroying it, and excess damage from that explosion gets applied to your ST? CASE does absolutely nothing there. There is a damage reduction due to the transfer mechanic, but CASE has nothing to do with it. In MWO, using CASE on an XL engine does literally nothing.

Now, if you run a STD engine, and your leg/arm ammo explosion ALSO takes out your ST, CASE will prevent any excess damage from the ST loss from getting applied to your CT... but that's rather pointless, as the initial excess damage will have gone through two 60% damage reductions by the time it reaches your CT anyway.

*This entire post is talking about Inner Sphere 'Mechs specifically. Clan OmniMechs automatically have CASE installed in all components. Even so, they only prevent damage from traveling out of the originating component - they do not prevent damage from coming in from a different component.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 26 July 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#8 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

As for build options, I strongly recommend getting a Dragon 5N. Three MGs, and two LPLs. Biggest engine you can put in. All weapons arm-mounted and hitscan, unless you decide to throw in a missile launcher as well. It was hella fun while I was Mastering Dragons, and I keep meaning to buy one again just to do that build.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostBloodweaver, on 26 July 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

That's not how CASE works in MWO. In MWO, CASE only keeps damage that starts in the side torso from traveling towards the center torso. That's it. It does not prevent damaging traveling into the side torso from an arm/leg at all.*

case in MWO prevents damage from the area of explosion to be transferred. thats how case works. What makes it into what you describe is the fact that IS mechs can not equip case to arms and legs. Which probably should be allowed for balance reasons. Thsi way IS XL's cna put ammo to feet and arms with a case and stay XL save.

Edited by Lily from animove, 28 July 2015 - 05:17 AM.

#10 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

Hmm. Mechs with lower arm actuators and lots of Balistic slots...

If that is all you are looking for, then the Fire starter Ember is perfect for you. Lower arm actuators and 4 balistic slots. :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users