Multi Display Issues W/ Dx11... Dx9 Still Seems Better.

8 replies to this topic

#1 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

Curious if anyone else has similar issues to me with MWO and multiple displays on DX11.

Asus Maximus Hero VII
i5 4690k @ 4.4ghz currently
16gig GSkill Sniper ddr3
Hyper X Fury SSD
Zotac 980 Ti Amp edition
Etc.

My primary monitor is a VG248QE 144hz monitor and 2nd is a VE248Q 60hz monitor.

So when I try DX11 in full screen is blacks out my 2nd monitor entirely when in game. Alt tabbing out it get a signal again but as soon as I am back in game it shuts off.

DX11 full window the 2nd screen will function normally but I get a nonstop stutter on the primary display in game and it is basically unplayable.

Only solution I have found is to go back to DX9 and full screen for both monitors to function normally, no stutter, and pretty good FPS. I have seen and heard people saying they are getting better performance in DX11 but I cannot seem to find a way to use it on my setup without issues. Anyone have any tips or tricks they can share how they have their DX11 working well? Without stutter in full window or with both monitors working in full screen without a bunch of craziness.

ETA: Wondering if the difference in the monitor refresh rates are what causes the stuttering when DX11 and full window.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 27 July 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#2 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 27 July 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Curious if anyone else has similar issues to me with MWO and multiple displays on DX11.

Asus Maximus Hero VII
16gig GSkill Sniper ddr3
Hyper X Fury SSD
Zotac 980 Ti Amp edition
Etc.

So when I try DX11 in full screen is blacks out my 2nd monitor entirely when in game. Alt tabbing out it get a signal again but as soon as I am back in game it shuts off.

DX11 full window the 2nd screen will function normally but I get a nonstop stutter on the primary display in game and it is basically unplayable.

Only solution I have found is to go back to DX9 and full screen for both monitors to function normally, no stutter, and pretty good FPS. I have seen and heard people saying they are getting better performance in DX11 but I cannot seem to find a way to use it on my setup without issues. Anyone have any tips or tricks they can share how they have their DX11 working well? Without stutter in full window or with both monitors working in full screen without a bunch of craziness.

ETA: Wondering if the difference in the monitor refresh rates are what causes the stuttering when DX11 and full window.

someone recommended I run full windowed to fix alt-tab issues - it really did seem to help, though sometimes my mouse escapes from MWO and when I try to shoot I instead switch to something on one of my side monitors :P

#3 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 06 August 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

someone recommended I run full windowed to fix alt-tab issues - it really did seem to help, though sometimes my mouse escapes from MWO and when I try to shoot I instead switch to something on one of my side monitors :P

^^ that's about the only issue I run across... used to have 2 23" LED's left and right with a 32" LCD TV as my center... (center died) and currently just running the 2 23"'s...

I DO run in Full Windowed mode as well tho'... mainly due to my second monitor runs my TS/etc while I'm playing...

Full Screen didn't cut it since I do use that second one all the time...

#4 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:06 AM

Generally speaking, DX11 has never really been made use of in MWO. It's there, but PGI has not elected to take advantage of anything with it, and that's not a criticism (if it's not a priority then it's not, no big deal since DX9 works fine) but it does mean we might as well just stick with the old API.

I've seen games add in DX11 and really use it, like Star Trek Online which kept visuals about the same but got a flat 100% performance increase for everyone once it was finalized and AMD got a driver out to take advantage of it (they were late to the party there), or Space Engineers which gets about the same performance, but sees a quantum leap in lighting quality.

In MWO, the visuals are the same, the performance is the same, it's just a matter of whether you want to run it in normal mode (DX9) or bugtacular mode (DX11). PGI will do something with it some day, I'm sure, just not right now.

#5 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

Windows aero isn't dx11, so if you have aero on and go fullscreen the other screens will black out.

The only reason alt tabbing is a "fix" is because it'll sometimes go full window instead of fullscreen.

#6 Uparmored Rickshaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 27 July 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

Asus Maximus Hero VII
16gig GSkill Sniper ddr3
Hyper X Fury SSD
Zotac 980 Ti Amp edition
Etc.

Darth, I have

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4
i7-4770K at stock speed
16GB Vengeance Pro
Samsung EVO 840 128GB
EVGA 780Ti Reference

Three ASUS Acer S220HQLAbd's

I run D11 and max settings. FPS are pegged, except to 53ish in the larger, confined engagements. I run Full Window as well and still will occasionally get a crash, but changing over to that mode has helped.

#7 Ragnar Bashmek

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 60 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChandler, TX

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:11 AM

I have a different problem. Mine is "disappearing Mechs". I have only been seeing this problem for the last few weeks.

What happens is that mechs around or in my crosshairs just disappear from the screen. It is sort of a blinking in and out situation. The associated red triangle is still there but the mech is gone. toggling zoom will usually bring them back as will moving the crosshairs away.

I am running 3x 22 inch Dell monitors in an AMD "Eyefinity" group with a total resolution of 5040x1050, running at "Very high" video settings on an AMD R9-290X video board.

This problem is very consistent so I end up taking a lot of shots at "where I think the target might be".

On a much less frequent basis roughly the right half of the right hand monitor will cease to show the game in progress and instead show unrelated and unmoving scenery from the battle in progress. Sort of looks like a a wall mural.

I haven't tried reverting to DX9 but give that a go and see if it helps.

Considering that DX12 is being rolled out it would be really nice if PGI would at least bring the game up to a proper implementation of DX11.

Ragnar Bashmek.

#8 Howzer

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

I was on vacation for 2 weeks at the end of July. When I came back, I noticed the same issue with mech disappears but red triangle stays. If you move the crosshairs next to the mech then the mech is visible again. Only happens with less than 50% of the mechs when looking around and will happen both with own team and other team. Have not had an issue with side monitor as you described.

I7-4820 OC to 4.5 using ASUS AI software (increased bus speed from 100 to 125)
ASUS p9X79 Deluxe MB
2X8 GB GSkill Ares 1600 RAM (9-9-9-24) going at 1333 (the ASUS AI software disabled XMP when it OC'd the CPU; I'll work on it later)
XFX R9 290 x 2 in crossfireX and is working in MWO

MWO going 5760 x 1072 over 3 23" ASUS 1 ms monitors, full screen
Played with custom video settings and did not seem to make much difference
Currently AA/damage glow/V-sync/motion blur are all off
The rest are medium except object detail and post processing are very high and particles are low

Strangely I haven't noticed any of the disappearing mech issues today over 6-8 matches

Edited by Howzer, 15 August 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#9 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

nVidia card, right?

Under "Manage 3D settings," "Program Settings" for MWO, what is "Multi-display/ mixed-GPU acceleration" set to?

Under "Set up multiple displays," which monitor is set as Primary?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users