Derek Smart Bans Reporter Of Germanys Largest Gaming Magazine "gamestar" After Submitting Feedback For His Game "line Of Defense"

22 replies to this topic

#1 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

Remember Derek Smart?

The Guy that talked about Star Citizen, then went on and personally insulted everyone at Cloud Imperium games and told people to file fraud complaints against them?

He made a game. At least he calls it a game. It's an early access space shooter or something and its HORRIBLE! I am talking farming simulator bad if not worse. Of course you can buy stuff for money there but hey.

So, the german magazine "Gamestar" checked his game out. They tried it and after EVERY SINGLE map out of the 4 maps crashed on them, they submitted the bugs in the steam forums of the game. The thread is still up: http://steamcommunit...50948617267965/

DS responds personally and rolls back the game, which fixes the crashing but renders all maps pitch black. Benjamin Danneberg, the reporter of Gamestar, moves on and reports these bugs too, in technical detail.

DS responds by saying that he must be trolling and is now perma-banned from the forums.

Obviously, the article reads like a punch in the face. And the video they made for the article is worse. Everybody who understands a bit german should watch this: http://www.gamestar....60,3234021.html

DS sees the article and answers to the closed thread on the steam forums that Benjamin is obviously a Star Citzen Fanboy and just created his account to troll on him and his game.

After I posted this on my twitter, it took him about 5 minutes to block me there:
https://twitter.com/...690619730599936
https://twitter.com/...691877870825472

Edited by Iqfish, 27 July 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

That guy... he's gone off the deep end.

You know who he reminds me of? Tice Daerus.

#3 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostHeffay, on 27 July 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

That guy... he's gone off the deep end.

You know who he reminds me of? Tice Daerus.

Right now I am honestly expecting that he is mentally ill. And I am saying this in a non insulting way, i am honestly worried.
I mean, critizise Star Citizen all you want, program ****** games all you want but this guy must live in his own WORLD

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:24 AM

I do not care about both games. SC too much promises, the other, looks broing. My steam library filledwith stuff I can't even play by lakc of time.

#5 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 27 July 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

I do not care about both games. SC too much promises, the other, looks broing. My steam library filledwith stuff I can't even play by lakc of time.

That's... Nice but not in any way related to what my post was saying.

I am talking about a developer being abled to rob people off their money and silencing them on the forums by calling them "trolls".
Things like this destroy the idea of early access or crowdfunding

#6 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostIqfish, on 27 July 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

Things like this destroy the idea of early access or crowdfunding

Thats buisness, it works that way, you can put money in invenstement fonts, and you are not promised to get any. thats why people should be careful with spending money on early access and who they trust. People these days throw too much monwy at promises without care.

also forums are private owned and anyone can do whatever he likes there as an owner.

#7 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 27 July 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

also forums are private owned and anyone can do whatever he likes there as an owner.

I strongly recommend to actually read what I wrote.

he did this on the steam forums. They are not his. They are owned by steam. And thats good, because he is silencing everyone else on the sites controlled by him, valve does not let that happen,

#8 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostIqfish, on 27 July 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

I strongly recommend to actually read what I wrote.

he did this on the steam forums. They are not his. They are owned by steam. And thats good, because he is silencing everyone else on the sites controlled by him, valve does not let that happen,

but he is there repsonsible for his own threads as a moderator, and stema is also not a public area.

You know the internet is full of weird people, and given the amount of devs around, what makes some people think those are free of those weird people? if he cna silence people, than because valve gave this guy specific permissions, which are probably bound to contracts. And when enough people complain, this may change, since valve is the supervisor of that.

This basically is not the first time somthing that weird happens, it only is voiced now because soem guys of a pc magazine had this happend and its probably SC related which lately has some publicity.

#9 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

I was around for the whole Battlecruiser fiasco back in the 90's. Yes, I said fiasco and that's an apt description of the crap that was that game.

Derek Smart, in my opinion, is a complete hack. He has yet to create a game of any note or merit.

#10 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

Everyone rushing to bash Derek Smart thinking that doing so validates Star Citizen ;)

#11 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 27 July 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

Everyone rushing to bash Derek Smart thinking that doing so validates Star Citizen ;)

There are many reasons to bash how he is acting right now that have nothing to do with supporting Star Citizen.

#12 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 27 July 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

I don't play Star Citizen. As noted, my opinion of Mr Smart goes back to the whole Battlecruiser debacle. I still consider him a complete hack.

#13 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostMarineTech, on 27 July 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

I was around for the whole Battlecruiser fiasco back in the 90's. Yes, I said fiasco and that's an apt description of the crap that was that game.

Derek Smart, in my opinion, is a complete hack. He has yet to create a game of any note or merit.

Back then he passed as the guy who promised too much, now we changed our mind on him.

#14 Sizzles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Sounds like the guy would make an outstanding dictator.

Somebody send him to Cuba!

#15 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostHeffay, on 27 July 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

There are many reasons to bash how he is acting right now that have nothing to do with supporting Star Citizen.

Oh, I'm sure.

But that's not why some people are bashing him right now. ;)

#16 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 27 July 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

Oh, I'm sure.

But that's not why some people are bashing him right now. ;)

I think you want to remove the smiley if you are serious and not joking about this.

#17 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

I'm waiting for something like this to happen with MWO. Someone's gonna do it. I know it. #2013NeverForgetNeverForgive

#18 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:35 AM

I'm clueless as to what's going down with Derek Smart or Line of Defense but if DS said things Star Citizen fans didn't like, I wouldn't be surprised if they review bombed his game on steam and trolled him. It wouldn't be the first time journalists used a media platform like kotaku for their own SJW social justice warrior antics.

If I remember right, DS never told people to file fraud complaints. He asked for better accountability and for people to keep Roberts from going overboard with including more game features than he could deliver on. I think DS also said if Roberts doesn't deliver the game as promised, he could face a future fraud investigation due to the large sum of money involved. That's the only thing he said about fraud that I remember.

Imagine how things will be if Roberts runs out of money and the game isn't finished. People will be a hundred times more upset about it than they ever were about 3PV in this game. Roberts has failed to deliver titles in the past and ran out of money before he could complete his projects. In some ways Roberts could be his own worst enemy and I don't blame DS too much for trying to reign in Robert's ambition. It seems like a sensible thing to do given Robert's past history.

In case people are unaware, this is the area of Robert's past history that could be relevent here. See link:

http://www.eurogamer...s/article_29857

Edited by I Zeratul I, 31 July 2015 - 12:45 AM.

#19 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:40 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 27 July 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

I think you want to remove the smiley if you are serious and not joking about this.

I guess that they tested his game was even caused by his SC criticism attemp.
If he wouldn't have bashed SC, no one would know about his crappy game, and even less would care. And instead of bashing him, poeple would spent their time with something valuable and useful instead.

#20 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:32 AM

None of the people involved acted very professionally. The article was rather sensationalist and seemed to lack objectivity, apparently indeed triggered only by the developer's recent criticism. Of course, that does not make the developer and their reaction come across any better. It's a sad thing that some of Mr. Smart's otherwise valid points regarding Star Citizen were completely drowned out by his incessant hyping of his own game.

If he had not misused his own blog post as an advertising platform, it may have come across differently. But this way, he made himself vulnerable, and at least one writer seems to have happily jumped into the breach to poke fun at the lackluster status of the project he is currently working on.

"Nothing to see here, please walk along."

View PostI Zeratul I, on 31 July 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

It wouldn't be the first time journalists used a media platform like kotaku for their own SJW social justice warrior antics.
Player inclusiveness, content diversity, developer culture and social impact are related to gaming. The Manosphere needs to take a step back and realize they have no rights to a monopoly here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users