Petition For Mwo To Support Dx 12

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Petition for MWO to support DX 12 (158 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want MWO to add support for DX 12

1. Yes (124 votes [78.48%])

Percentage of vote: 78.48%

2. No (34 votes [21.52%])

Percentage of vote: 21.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 28 July 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

PGI DOESN'T WRITE CRYENGINE. CRYTEK WRITES CRYENGINE. STOP PRETENDING PGI ACTUALLY PROGRAMS THEY JUST USE CRYTEK TOOLS.

there is still a lot custom code added to the engine.

#22 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:34 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 29 July 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

If you have not pirated windows that you're on its free

Incorrect. Free upgrade to Windows 10 does not apply to Volume Licences. Like mine.

#23 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 28 July 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

PGI DOESN'T WRITE CRYENGINE. CRYTEK WRITES CRYENGINE. STOP PRETENDING PGI ACTUALLY PROGRAMS THEY JUST USE CRYTEK TOOLS.

If they update the engine it gains DX12 support
Trouble was that it drops DX9 support at the same time (was from Russ on Townhall)
Typical hardware that does DX9 only and not DX11 is about 5 years old
Now questions is if such old hardware can run this game good enough anyway

Also an AMD card at the low end that can do DX12(does not need to be this generation) would be quite cheaper than a new CPU and mobo to gain increased performance through DX12

View Postgloowa, on 30 July 2015 - 04:34 AM, said:

Incorrect. Free upgrade to Windows 10 does not apply to Volume Licences. Like mine.

Well I guess you're right

Let me rephrase my statement

99% and more of home users that use legal keys that have not been blocked can upgrade for free (from windows 7 up, although not all versions)
Others might have to pick up a phone to activate

That volume licenses don't get that perk is kinda normal
Businesses are supposed to shell out money for it, n governments, schools
Now I'm sure there's a use for normal users for volume licensing

Than again you could opt in to insider program and staying inside for free one one machine

#24 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

I have an old box running Vista. I purchased a Win 8.1 copy this month specifically so I could get free Win 10 and DX12 (I have a DX11 card). My AMD CPU struggles to keep frames at 30. I just want a rocksteady 30 fps and I'm confident DX12 is the only thing that might get me there.

I just can't afford to go full CPU, Mobo, and RAM upgrade right now no matter how much I want to.

I need DX12 to be implemented and not because I want all the flashy graphics. I just want steady, playable frames.

#25 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:55 AM

View PostDomenoth, on 30 July 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

I have an old box running Vista. I purchased a Win 8.1 copy this month specifically so I could get free Win 10 and DX12 (I have a DX11 card). My AMD CPU struggles to keep frames at 30. I just want a rocksteady 30 fps and I'm confident DX12 is the only thing that might get me there.

I just can't afford to go full CPU, Mobo, and RAM upgrade right now no matter how much I want to.

I need DX12 to be implemented and not because I want all the flashy graphics. I just want steady, playable frames.

Prepare to be sorely disappointed.

1) PGI are unable to implement dx12 into CryEngine by themselves
2) Even if they were that would take solid 6 months for a sizable group of people
3) dx12 will not be able to magically make your pc run faster. how do i know it? because neither did dx10 or 11 or amd mantle or any "breakthrough" technology that was marketed as essential and revolutionary for the past 8 years. Games still use dx9, games that use dx11 are often buggy and unstable, noone uses dx10 and mantle performance gain can be measured in single-digid precentages if that gain is present at all (can speak from experience, AMD CPU/GPU and mantle performs about the same in games i tried, except for stutter every Xseconds and game loading times going from 1min to ~7min)
4) do not confuse taking dx9 engine and making just enough changes to make it compile with dx11/dx12 with making that engine dx12 engine. You need to redesign the engine to make it work with dx12 properly. Expect first proper dx12 engines no sooner than 1st/2nd quarter 2016.

Edited by gloowa, 31 July 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#26 Codestar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

DX12 is software. Microsoft are spinning it like they did with previous windows versions to try and get sufficient numbers to migrate to windows 10. If there is a performance benefit then there is no reason (other than financial) why it could not be implemented on current versions of windows.. DirectX versions have been used as carrots to entice gamers to the next version of windows since XP. Some of the top 10 reasons why gamers need DX12 are complete BS.

Annoys me a little!

Don't waste Dev time on DX12 PGI. Keep the features coming and the money flowing! If Crytek are willing to consume their resources to create a "compatible" DX12+ engine then it may be worth investigating but until then keep doing what your doing!

Codestar.

#27 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

Anyway 14 million Windows 10 upgrades in 24hrs so far so much for people so called not all jumping to DX12 also this. :)

https://twitter.com/...178473275068416

#28 DeadDomineus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostCodestar, on 31 July 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

DX12 is software. Microsoft are spinning it like they did with previous windows versions to try and get sufficient numbers to migrate to windows 10. If there is a performance benefit then there is no reason (other than financial) why it could not be implemented on current versions of windows.. DirectX versions have been used as carrots to entice gamers to the next version of windows since XP. Some of the top 10 reasons why gamers need DX12 are complete BS.

Annoys me a little!

Don't waste Dev time on DX12 PGI. Keep the features coming and the money flowing! If Crytek are willing to consume their resources to create a "compatible" DX12+ engine then it may be worth investigating but until then keep doing what your doing!

Nerdstar.

If you wouldn't mind posting these 10 raisins that are complete BS and we can decide if they are legitimate.
Besides all of that from what I'm gathering it is nothing but beneficial.

#29 Codestar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:19 AM

View PostDeadDomineus, on 31 July 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

If you wouldn't mind posting these 10 raisins that are complete BS and we can decide if they are legitimate.
Besides all of that from what I'm gathering it is nothing but beneficial.

Found it:-
http://www.msn.com/e...s-10/ar-AAdFjCT

Some other internet propoganda:-
http://i.imgur.com/iHge6RJ.jpg

Cheers

#30 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

I'd say yes. This game relies way too heavily on CPU as it is. With a proper DX12 implementation this will hopefully be somewhat toned down.

I wouldnt see any reason for people to say 'no' unless somehow this would impair progression of other development areas.

Edited by Marctraider, 04 August 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#31 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostCodestar, on 03 August 2015 - 01:19 AM, said:

Found it:-
http://www.msn.com/e...s-10/ar-AAdFjCT

Some other internet propoganda:-
http://i.imgur.com/iHge6RJ.jpg

Cheers

The first one is unrelated to the second one.

Now what's your evidence that those 10 reasons are BS? I'd say performance boost is not a BS reason. Now whether or not we'll get a 300% boost, yes, I can doubt that. However, there's no evidence as of yet that there won't be a boost.

So those 10 reasons are not really BS, unless there's something I am missing.

#32 Tiberius Augustus

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:53 AM

on a side note -

Mech looks Word of Blake Celestial series :ph34r:

#33 Codestar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 04 August 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

The first one is unrelated to the second one.

Now what's your evidence that those 10 reasons are BS? I'd say performance boost is not a BS reason. Now whether or not we'll get a 300% boost, yes, I can doubt that. However, there's no evidence as of yet that there won't be a boost.

So those 10 reasons are not really BS, unless there's something I am missing.

See original post. I said "[color=#959595]Some of the top 10 reasons[/color]". I also said the same performance boosts would be possible with other versions of windows. DX12 would be possible to implement on other versions of windows. Its a hyped up carrot used to lure customers to their new cash cow. I will no doubt upgrade too at some point in the future.

Cheers

Codestar

#34 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:36 AM

View PostCodestar, on 31 July 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Annoys me a little!

Codestar.

This is a bit of a stretch... Direct X is a routine/protocol or as we would know it as an API. A low level API at that. To call it just software kinda undermines it. On the flip side I'm kinda torn on DX 12, I voted no. This is really only going to help those with an ATi card. Nvidia has always fallen short in terms of low level processing, Ie Bitcoin etc. The current benchmarks reflect the same. There is zero indication that PGI can code this properly to alleviate the CPU bottleneck that everyone is getting. I mean hell the HUD sucks down 30-40 FPS...

Also Codestar, do you own a smartphone? Android? Apple? If yes those companies know more about you than Windows ever could. Plus you can turn off all the 'data mining' via the settings in Windows 10 as your propaganda imgur post shows.

Edited by Saxie, 31 August 2015 - 03:40 AM.

#35 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

I always support increased performance, and stability.

#36 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

Nice to see this pop back up :)

#37 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

Supported graphics Api depends on the engine used. That being said, openGL (or even Vulkan) would be a better choice for being easier to port to other operating systems.

#38 Túatha Dé Danann

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:40 AM

Why DX12 when Crytech could just add Vulkan to the line?

Both APIs take a similar amount of work to be implemented, but Vulkan works on any OS. Yes, I'm talking about Linux too, because it get increasingly more attention due to Steam OS and the bad reputation of Windows including the spystuff.

Again: Its Crytech who does the API implementation, not PGI. And I'm in favor to Vulkan as it seems to be the better solution. Issue: Microsoft has a saying towards battletech and may want to for PGI to stay on DX.

#39 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:30 AM

in the Town Hall last week Russ said they are looking at ether upgrading to a new version of CryEngine or switching to a new engine, and doing so would likely take 6-8 months whichever they choose.

That is 6-8 months where the software engineers will not be fixing bugs or adding new features.

I understand why it needs doing, but am glad they are waiting until now to look into it, 6-8 months with only Mechs and maps after CW phase 2 (yes I know PGI call it phase 3 but they called the ability to form units phase 1, and I do not think that should count) will be a big deal but should be survivable for MWO if they do it right after a major update

#40 Túatha Dé Danann

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:40 AM

Yes. I mean, what new features can we NOT have, because the code base is borked?
I want mah tanks, aerospace fighters, Dropships, battles in open space... that funny stuff and not a simple deathmatch on the same old maps all over again.

Can I wait half a year for that? Yes. Do I want to be stuck with the current engine and features forever just because some minor updates are released here and there? No.

So, PGI - if you want to go to the Unreal 4 Engine: Do it!
They give you out of the box everything you want to have. You can easily convert your mechs, meshes and textures, assets, maps and whatever you have.

You can also use most of your scripts, but I recomment to do most of them in a new way (like Ghost Heat)

You get: DX 9 -12, Vulkan, a load of tools for creating content and optimization and please for the sake of the entire genre: Hire 1-2 additional good programmers that de-bork all the broken scripts and give you the opportunity to go crazy on whatever gameplay ideas you have. Tank you very much! :)

After that, we don't have to bother about question like DX12, Vulkan etc, because the unreal engine will do that for us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users