An Elusive Thor Appeared... And Slowly Went Obsolete

6 replies to this topic

Poll: Does Thor need some love/patch fixes? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Give the Thor some love PGI.

1. Yay (13 votes [76.47%])

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. Nay Nay (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

I've nearly mastered the Thor(Summoner) now, and I see where it's role is being directed. But does it really stack up in usefulness as it should be for a 70 ton Clanner? It's more nimble than ever. But not Meta. That annoys me, because its now a mech relying on very few hardpoints where it must have the biggest guns in the game in order to be intimidating. It's surrounded by Metas. Besides its SRM meta build, I've tried the Gauss with 4small-to-medium backup laser build. And the Jack-of-all-trades style; (UAC10, LRM15, 2sL). I'm just not sure if I love this Mech yet though. I always have, just not MWO's rendition. Well the design looks almost perfectly original. Props for that. But I can't find many builds that work for it.
Hey seasoned Thor pilots! Anyone have advice for me on utilizing this Wild Card?

I've thought of a few specific things PGI may have already considered they might want to reconsider in reformatting the Thor's role. And here they are:
-Option to remove some JJs on some variants
-Specific ranges of JJs per variant(Did Thors always have JJs in older games?)
-built-in Masc on one variant, disabled for the others
-Option to choose between a limited amount of Engines(Say XL300-350)
-I'd say new hardpoints in the end, but with pushing back the JJ hype and Speed hype maybe Pilots would already have enough space by then.

I mean this mech is so indefinable, its vague, an intangible mech surrounded by metas, its stiff, abstract. I mean it's one of the those iconic 3 mechs that sold and shot this game to mainstream heights in the olds days. What gives?! WHY CAN'T I MAKE THIS MECH WORK!??!?! Sorry. I see this mech rusting in this picture rather than surviving any battle now. Take it as a petition for a comeback for non-meta mechs. Please, for the Thor, fix it PGI.
Posted Image

Common comment in games with Summoners: "The Summoner needs some love."
My comment: "I've seen that written too many times now......."

Edited by Zephonarch II, 28 July 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:46 AM

I desperately want to like the Summoner (Thor) but I can't justify it as it is.

I love the Quirks, they are ideally suited to the Summoner's role. Yet, they just don't quite go far enough:

1) Overall speed is not quite up to Lore standards. (I think it should be about 86 kph base)
2) JJs don't even come close to jumping far enough. In fact, the entire JJ system seems to need some love.

Ok, that said, this game does not stick to lore, nor should it. But therein lies the reason why it sucks so much that the Summoner sucks! If the game is already deviating from lore, why not just balance the 'Mech already!

In addition to the above options I suggest:

Give it Endo-steel!

Three and a half extra tons are not going to make it the new meta-'mech. Just barely makes it viable, I think.

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:41 AM

A MAJOR reworking of all mechs in the game is on the way, as Russ Bullock stated in the last town hall meeting. They will rebalance the whole game at once, and all in one patch.

So keep your hopes up and stop whining. Maybe they make some mechs better..

#4 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:57 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 29 July 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

A MAJOR reworking of all mechs in the game is on the way, as Russ Bullock stated in the last town hall meeting. They will rebalance the whole game at once, and all in one patch.

So keep your hopes up and stop whining. Maybe they make some mechs better..

Great!  I look forward to it!  I can't load the Town Hall Meeting videos, so I have no way of knowing this.And BTW, wasn't intending to whine, just stating that there is a simple fix to a featured 'Mech that has disappointed quite a few people!Cheers!

#5 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

6 srm6 +lrm15 is a great build or 2 uac5 +4 small laser will eat moat things. Both very effective.

#6 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:46 AM

Interestingly enough I have actually reached my highest damage record in a Thor of 1100. I suppose I am an experienced player of MWO however.

I think it performs very well for a mech, yeah it is not meta, but it does not need to be meta. Meta can single out even good mechs, because meta only focuses on the easiest and most effective result. Meta will always leave out mechs that can still perform nearly if not just as good and that is only because its not quite as easy or tactically reliable.

Edited by Livaria, 04 August 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:28 AM

i had a very good experience leveling my summoner. the prime varient was the star of the show. i did pull its lrm launcher, ran a uac10, erppc, and replaced the lerms with an srm6. the mech then mastered its way through cw. i had not even basiced it before i started getting really good results. you really need to exploit its mobility, you can get to those high places and rain down fury, and be gone before they get tone on you. that jump capability is damn continent. im gonna have to say nay, its a great mech that caters to an aggressive playstyle which i enjoy. but you camp with it (though it does this pretty well), or play to cautiously and you are wasting its capabilities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users