315 replies to this topic

#261 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:23 AM

I also have not heard of Mechwarrior Tactics until after it died.

I think it makes sense that it's called "Battletech" and have it a turn based game, much like the tabletop, while Mechcommander is real time and Mechwarrior is a shooter.

I hope it comes with an offline vs AI mode so i can play it when traveling.

#262 Buzzkillin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:48 AM

View PostHollow Earth, on 03 August 2015 - 01:23 AM, said:

I think it makes sense that it's called "Battletech" and have it a turn based game, much like the tabletop, while Mechcommander is real time and Mechwarrior is a shooter.

It's a single player game, it better have offline AI

#263 Cattra Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:49 AM

View PostHollow Earth, on 03 August 2015 - 01:23 AM, said:

Games not MW:Tactics nor anything to do with MW:Tactics, we also know that the game is singleplayer but no word yet on multiplayer.

I did an article here at NGNG about everything we know so far.

#264 BigMooingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:24 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 02 August 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

Every fan has a vision about what the game should be. And then there's what actually is.

For sure. From my perspective, MWO was really good when I plunked down my $60, but rapidly got worse as gameplay changes were introduced in the name of balance. Now, MWO is sitting on the Battletech name while suffering from ghost heat, air strike modules and the like, and clan/IS "balancing". Or, at least I thought! <crossing fingers for Battletech>

#265 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:19 AM

Hm, lets consider what we might be getting,.

If you compare what this BT game could be as would be the simplest for them to make would be shadowrun with mechs instead of runners , so a tactical 4 man lance with mby some cover play ( trees, boulders, buildings ) , having a move and shoot phase at once so instead of positioning all mechs then having them fire, one by one mech can move to position 1 by walking if it is close or running if the position is far away, with the aiming penalty and fire. I would expect in any case mechs to have all the hit locations and the spread to be random.
I would get even such a version of the game.

But I would prefear to lead ~12 mechs or less but with combined arms of infantry and tanks on bigger maps, and would still like the move and fire in the same phase , even if it is not like the TT rules.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 03 August 2015 - 06:20 AM.

#266 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

I guess that many people are expecting a new MechCommander, while the game will be probably more like ShadowRun.

#267 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

View Postmartian, on 03 August 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

I guess that many people are expecting a new MechCommander, while the game will be probably more like ShadowRun.

I'm hoping for something like Mechwarrior Tactics. Just you know? Good.

And Singleplayer.
Basically, not Mechwarrior Tactics and more like Battletech, you know? Like the name of the game :lol:

To be honest, i've never been a huge fan of MechCommander, mostly because i don't really like RTS, i prefer Turn based strategy instead.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 03 August 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#268 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 02 August 2015 - 11:30 PM, said:

Oh, indeed. I do not envy any Developer who has to deal with a core fanbase of a franchise as entrenched, old and stubborn as us Battletech fans, because let's face it. We've never really been able to agree on anything except that pretty much all translations from TT Battletech to simulator/FPS has never been "what we were hoping for". If you ask us what _exactly_ we were hoping for you're likely to get a million different answers from a hundred different People. :D

We're not easy to please is what I'm saying. :)

Exactly. There's so many conflicting opinions. Even the new mech select screen is still being criticized

I'm sure even if they do everything right with Battletech. There will still be someone complaining about something. lol

#269 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

View Postmartian, on 03 August 2015 - 06:48 AM, said:

People only brought up Mechcommander because they couldn't move from RTS to Turn Based Strategy (like the announcement even says.) Also, the game has the Mechcommander symbol but upside down in the name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm expecting a core game with a robust (depending on kickstarter,) story and single player with a light multiplayer mode (again, depending on kickstarter,) that will have a map/level editor so people can make their own content. Game rules will probably be very close to tabletop as much as possible. Being turned based is fantastic and the time period is just amazing....don't have to deal with yet another Clan game.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 03 August 2015 - 08:06 AM.

#270 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 03 August 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

I'm expecting a core game with a robust (depending on kickstarter,) story and single player with a light multiplayer mode (again, depending on kickstarter,) that will have a map/level editor so people can make their own content. Game rules will probably be very close to tabletop as much as possible. Being turned based is fantastic

Good storyline has always been important in MechWarrior or MechCommander. After all, MWO shows clearly what happens when you have only a series of deatmatches without storyline.

View PostJack Gallows, on 03 August 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

the time period is just amazing....don't have to deal with yet another Clan game.

I won't be surprised if HBS - if their game will be successful - offers some expansion packs. One pack could implement new Lostech equipment recovered during the technological renaissance of 3030s and 3040s, another expansion pack could add a new story and Clan 'Mechs from 3050s.

#271 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

And honestly, i hope Jordan starts this game in like 2550......so there is no way in hell we ever get Clanners. I despite IS tech, but thats only cuz I always have Clan **** to compare it to. I so love my Warhawks, but I to love my Zeus, Warhammers, Riflemen, Atlas, Awesomes, Victors, Centurions, Bushwackers(yes I know post clan mech)....

#272 BigMooingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

If it's a story-driven single-player game there's no reason they can't just keep making new games on the same engine. Look at all the great games to come out of the Infinity engine, for example.

We're all getting way ahead of ourselves, of course, but if a game like this succeeds I'm sure the developer would look to churn out more stories using the existing assets. Consider that the engine will probably at least partially be inherited from the Shadowrun games. The first game will be all new art/audio assets and a bunch of code for rules (PPCs and jump jets, etc). A follow-up game would be a relative few new art/audio assets, and almost everything else reused.

So, 3025? Sure! 2550? Sure! 3050? Sounds good! Why not a freebirth-to-riches story, too? There's no need to keep a single storyline going.

This game (and any follow-ups) are only limited by profitability. Save your pennies, mechwarriors!

#273 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

I don't do pre-orders and this is one hell of a pre-order.

#274 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

View PostRhent, on 03 August 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

I don't do pre-orders and this is one hell of a pre-order.

Seems like the nature of kick start, pre-fund before any work starts, wait two years for game, and hope it is what you wanted. Fortunately, HBS has a good track record with these.
What I found odd is the kickstarter for the kickstarter. You literally pay $10 or $50 now (outside of kickstarters legal protection) to get something added to kickstarter, it smells fishy as hell, like I said HBS has a good reputation, and they are probably trying to leverage additional free funding.

#275 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

Indeed. Everyone bitched about MWO not being Loretech Online, yet MW2 is a massive fan favorite... Everyone remember how lore UNFRIENDLY it was? Slow ass balls of PPC lightning anyone? Sure it still had a lot of lore friendly stuff in it (JJ height for one) but it wasn't perfect or a direct translation of BT. MW3 and 4 weren't either, but somehow they're still better than MWO?

Granted, I think MWO needs to strip all these bandages off and rebalance the core mechanics before beginning to quirk stuff, but its no different than the older titles in terms of straying from the BT rules.

Now we have Battletech coming out, a TBS made by Harebrained who have so far shown it to be their specialty and give it a promising outlook. But they're going to be VASTLY different types of games. Immediately Battletech and MWO will be different genres, one a TBS board game adaptation and the other an semi-simulation shooter. BT will probably have you control multiple mech units, while in MWO you yourself are piloting a mech.

I think half the problem this game is having honestly, is the lack of single player/co-op content (like have a lance comprised of actual human players, not just AI lancemates) that made games like MW2/3/4 enjoyable with the ability to break up multiplayer sessions without having to stop playing the game entirely.

#276 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 03 August 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

Indeed. Everyone bitched about MWO not being Loretech Online, yet MW2 is a massive fan favorite... Everyone remember how lore UNFRIENDLY it was? Slow ass balls of PPC lightning anyone? Sure it still had a lot of lore friendly stuff in it (JJ height for one) but it wasn't perfect or a direct translation of BT. MW3 and 4 weren't either, but somehow they're still better than MWO?

Granted, I think MWO needs to strip all these bandages off and rebalance the core mechanics before beginning to quirk stuff, but its no different than the older titles in terms of straying from the BT rules.

Now we have Battletech coming out, a TBS made by Harebrained who have so far shown it to be their specialty and give it a promising outlook. But they're going to be VASTLY different types of games. Immediately Battletech and MWO will be different genres, one a TBS board game adaptation and the other an semi-simulation shooter. BT will probably have you control multiple mech units, while in MWO you yourself are piloting a mech.

I think half the problem this game is having honestly, is the lack of single player/co-op content (like have a lance comprised of actual human players, not just AI lancemates) that made games like MW2/3/4 enjoyable with the ability to break up multiplayer sessions without having to stop playing the game entirely.

100% right. I am half convinced that at least some of the "lore" complaints about Mechwarrior Online are an excuse to troll. Really.

This game is closer to the ORIGINAL Battletech than any of the previous video games and many of the TT addons and revisions!!!!! But no there are still complaints sighting parts "lore" chosen that are at odds with SOME aspects of Mechwarrior Online.

I got complaints to. I just dont choose to complain about stuff which simply isnt possible in a persistent multi player online game.

Edited by Johnny Z, 03 August 2015 - 07:29 PM.

#277 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 03 August 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

Seems like the nature of kick start, pre-fund before any work starts, wait two years for game, and hope it is what you wanted. Fortunately, HBS has a good track record with these.
What I found odd is the kickstarter for the kickstarter. You literally pay $10 or $50 now (outside of kickstarters legal protection) to get something added to kickstarter, it smells fishy as hell, like I said HBS has a good reputation, and they are probably trying to leverage additional free funding.

An established studio using Kickstarter to fund is a way for them to build their game without any of the rules and regulations from the publisher, such as good project management, creating milestones for delivery and quality assurance so they don't screw the publishers name.

#278 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

Confirmed 3025 tech, massive bummer. Guess I will have to wait for a potential expansion to play.

#279 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:44 PM

He'll, that's AWESOME! I love 3025 tech. And 3050, 3055, etc, would be a natural progression for expansions. I'm psyched!

#280 Mathius Ward

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in one of the clan attack corridors.

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

View PostKain Demos, on 03 August 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Confirmed 3025 tech, massive bummer. Guess I will have to wait for a potential expansion to play.

How is that a bummer? You DON'T want them to work out a game with basic tech that they can make sure is 100% balanced and works well before tossing in all the other crazy stuff?

You need a good foundation to build on after all, right? Or is all the stuff I've read on the forums about PGI not building a good foundation which is causing all the issues the game seemingly has, got no merit?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users