129 replies to this topic

#21 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Did anyone sink money into MWT? Was that under Catalyst games? And if so did anyone get their money back?

#22 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:18 PM

View Postandrewkhlim, on 29 July 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

Did anyone sink money into MWT? Was that under Catalyst games? And if so did anyone get their money back?

I unfortunately bought a mid-level founder's pack for myself and a friend, the game froze on our first try and was still frozen a week later when I tried to log back in. I made a (very civil) post about it in the bug section of the beta forum, but a certain ex IGP forum mod, who was also a forum mod here said the post was inflammatory and deleted it (again nothing aggressive or passive aggressive in the post). To make a long story short, even after contacting support, the problem was never fixed (because IGP canned the original devs and replaced them with some Facebook shovelware devs who didn't do much of anything) and IGP auctioned the game off before I could ask for a refund.

To answer your question, though, I really don't believe that Catalyst had anything to do with the game other than allowing them to base the game off of the Battletech rules.

#23 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:26 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 29 July 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

I unfortunately bought a mid-level founder's pack for myself and a friend, the game froze on our first try and was still frozen a week later when I tried to log back in. I made a (very civil) post about it in the bug section of the beta forum, but a certain ex IGP forum mod, who was also a forum mod here said the post was inflammatory and deleted it (again nothing aggressive or passive aggressive in the post). To make a long story short, even after contacting support, the problem was never fixed (because IGP canned the original devs and replaced them with some Facebook shovelware devs who didn't do much of anything) and IGP auctioned the game off before I could ask for a refund.

To answer your question, though, I really don't believe that Catalyst had anything to do with the game other than allowing them to base the game off of the Battletech rules.

Ah, that's rough luck. Knowing that they have little or nothing to do with ditching you guys, now I won't feel as bad if I decide to back their game.

#24 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:59 AM

Hope we get out of 'Mech action and story like Shadowrun had.

#25 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

The most interesting thing to me is the use of what are clearly MWO mech silhouettes on their webpage graphic.

http://battletechgam...TECH_04_HBS.jpg

#26 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

View PostEximar, on 30 July 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

The most interesting thing to me is the use of what are clearly MWO mech silhouettes on their webpage graphic.

http://battletechgam...TECH_04_HBS.jpg

It is MWO graphics, PGI agreed to share art assets: https://mobile.twitt...422835804659712

#27 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

View Postandrewkhlim, on 30 July 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

Ah, that's rough luck. Knowing that they have little or nothing to do with ditching you guys, now I won't feel as bad if I decide to back their game.

MW:T had three different developers before it got cut, didn't have anything to do with CGL at all. Battletech (board game) rights are different from the Mechwarrior/Battletech (video games) rights, PGI/IGP had the rights to Mechwarrior (from Microsoft.)

Edited by Jack Gallows, 30 July 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#28 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

Harebrained Schemes has done some very nice work so far with the other old FASA IP, Shadowrun. They have Weisman and I don't think they will let their iteration of Battletech go any different.

Seriously, if you haven't sampled Shadowrun returns/Shadowrun Dragonfall, They are on sale on Steam all the time and they have Shadowrun Hong Kong releasing on August 20th on steam as well. Fun games in my opinion. Give them a try and see for yourself.

I plan on backing the kickstarter when it launches. They have a solid foundation in delivering what they promise.

Edited by Ronyn, 30 July 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#29 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

View PostRonyn, on 30 July 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

Harebrained Schemes has done some very nice work so far with the other old FASA IP, Shadowrun. They have Weisman and I don't think they will let their iteration of Battletech go any different.

Seriously, if you haven't sampled Shadowrun returns/Shadowrun Dragonfall, They are on sale on Steam all the time and they have Shadowrun Hong Kong releasing on August 20th on steam as well. Fun games in my opinion. Give them a try and see for yourself.

I plan on backing the kickstarter when it launches. They have a solid foundation in delivering what they promise.

I'm going out of my mind waiting for the kickstarter to start so I can drop loads of cash on it. Having a new 'mech game that isn't MW:O or that horrid abomination that was MW:T is a dream come true.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kinda funny, the new logo has the Mechcommander insignia in it...but upside down

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jack Gallows, 30 July 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#30 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:03 AM

I have been checking out their new subReddit ( https://www.reddit.c.../battletechgame ) and it seems like the game is going to be like a turn-based version of Crescent Hawks Inception / Revenge, which could be really cool, although I still would lime some kind of PvP worked in.

Update: This is not an official HBS reddit, but it does link to some official info.

Edited by Ed Steele, 30 July 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#31 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 30 July 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

I have been checking out their new subReddit ( https://www.reddit.c.../battletechgame ) and it seems like the game is going to be like a turn-based version of Crescent Hawks Inception / Revenge, which could be really cool, although I still would lime some kind of PvP worked in.

Probably depends on any kind of multiplayer they announce during the kickstarter. If it's got steam support for the workshop and a robust multiplayer tool set...it could replace megamek as the first go to for playing Battletech on the computer. Player mods and content? It'd be AMAZING!

#32 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 30 July 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

it could replace megamek as the first go to for playing Battletech on the computer. Player mods and content? It'd be AMAZING!

I still enjoy Megamek but I would love something modern and wonderful to replace it. Fingers crossed.

#33 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

Please have good voice acting at least and good video/animation on talking characters (or static images if you can't make good models) for the sake of immersion in the story.

Just make me really want to kill the bad guy without the rest of it disrupting the experience. :lol:

#34 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Damn, wish I could go to GenCon:

Posted Image

#35 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

To prepare yourselves for this game, you should read, or reread the Grey Death Legion Trilogy:

Decision at Thunder Rift
Mercenary's Star
The Price of Glory

These are the books that made me a life-long Battletech fan.

Edited by Ed Steele, 30 July 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#36 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

View PostElizander, on 30 July 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

Please have good voice acting at least and good video/animation on talking characters (or static images if you can't make good models) for the sake of immersion in the story.

Just make me really want to kill the bad guy without the rest of it disrupting the experience. :lol:
I wouldn't worry about that! Their Shadowrun games were all about static images, no voice acting, but beautifully written. And I'm talking novel quality here. Sucks you right in. :)

http://gamecola.net/...12-19_00004.jpg
http://www.hardcoreg...nreturns-01.png
http://www.rockpaper...dowrun-returns/

Iirc, they are of the opinion that videos and voice-acting are detracting from the experience, and that a well-written text can be much more immersive due to how it gets processed by your brain.

Due the company's history, I still fear the game won't have any multiplayer, but given how the editor and modding possibilities were received by the community, I think there is a very real possibility that the game will come with another suite of such features, so that players can at least develop and share stuff like missions/campaigns and units or equipment.

On a sidenote, I had the chance to talk to Jordan Weisman during an event for Shadowrun Chronicles, and he said that they would like to do a new Crimson Skies game some day, too. So if you liked that as well, chances are Harebrained will truly remake all of this nostalgic stuff. :)

View PostEd Steele, on 30 July 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Careful, it isn't their subreddit but just something that a couple fans have put up. Still a good place to talk about the game, I suppose, but be mindful that you don't mistake rumor-mongering for facts or official announcements.

#37 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

turn based is easier to balance so i'll drop some funds to help get it started.

#38 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 30 July 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

Damn, wish I could go to GenCon:

Posted Image

Aaaaaaaand here goes my 50 future dollars....

#39 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:48 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 30 July 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

To prepare yourselves for this game, you should read, or reread the Grey Death Legion Trilogy:

Decision at Thunder Rift
Mercenary's Star
The Price of Glory

These are the books that made me a life-long Battletech fan.

I thought I have to do some witcharft on my dices. But then my dwarves would refuse to use them, DAYM, im trapped.

Edited by Lily from animove, 31 July 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#40 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:54 AM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 30 July 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

I wouldn't worry about that! Their Shadowrun games were all about static images, no voice acting, but beautifully written. And I'm talking novel quality here. Sucks you right in. :)

I'm fine with that! I was just afraid of some half-baked 3D head wiggling around in a small box with bad voice acting ruining it. Better go clean minimalist than tryhard that ruins the experience. I guess I'll keep an eye out if voice acting will be part of the stretch goals. Gotta admit that VA has been part of almost every MW game so you tend to kinda expect it. :)

Even if the Shadowrun games are good I'm just not a fan of that IP but I'll see what they come out for this one. :D

Edited by Elizander, 31 July 2015 - 01:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users