Is Cooperative Counter Attack

19 replies to this topic

#1 CainenEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

Seems like the clans have made rather unsettling and steady progress to conquering worlds of the inner sphere. I was wondering if there as an active cooperation among the houses to combat this threat? Most of the odds are stacked against the IS because of all the big units on the clan side.

I recalled that at some point there was a "star league" established to help combat the clan during beta1. Is such a thing in effect today?

and before you ask, yes I'm from a merc unit: "The Monitors"

Edited by CainenEX, 29 July 2015 - 09:36 AM.

#2 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

Humm........

#3 Rahul Roy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

I think what generally happens is that if IS groups attack a Clan planet not enough Clanners will defend and there will be long wait times and ghost drops.

Meantime there will be IS planets under attack by Clanners, with less wait times and ghost drops, so IS players will switch to defense instead.

#4 CainenEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

Actually I was asking if we had a cooperative front to start working against the clans "Together". Like HHOD working with the 12DG kind of thing.

#5 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

View PostRahul Roy, on 29 July 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

I think what generally happens is that if IS groups attack a Clan planet not enough Clanners will defend and there will be long wait times and ghost drops.

The clanners always show up when you attack, your chance for a ghost drop is bigger when defending.

#6 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

Is such a thing in effect today?

The short answer is no..

Longer answer:
Some attempts were made when there was more activity in CW (including the star league initiatives), but they failed to coalesce. Now, With the current activity levels and state of CW, if you're not riding the wave of clan mech superiority and/or MS' coattails yourself, you are constantly fighting an uphill battle against stronger mechs and superior numbers over planets that have little meaning anyway....IS vs IS engagements at this point are almost non-existent, so fighting the comp crowd that has naturally gravitated to the side with OP mechs for distinct advantage is the only choice now.... this and number of other similar factors (like most every PGI event pulling away from CW) seems to have burned out the vast majority of the rest of the pilot base on CW in it's current form. There is very little faction interaction that I have seen. At this point, even coordination inside the factions themselves has diminished significantly, as many units struggle individually to keep a burned out pilot base engaged as we wait hopefully for new content that will turn things around.. as opposed to the "get nowhere and lose ground fast unless you have 2-3 companies more than the clan force facing you" dynamic that is CW now.

But now here is a crazy thought.... We've seen the mechanics of CW grind to a crawl with the 1 dimensional attack/defend selection introduced by PGI... and how large units like TCAF could no longer steamroll planets, defended or not.. but the side effect was much worse than the fix, and the IS fronts completely dried up as inactivity became the simplest way to defend a front with low populations while dealing with other threats, and eventually, all focus went to clan.. The clan march has always been predicated on constant activity...Someone is always defending a clan front planet... constant activity pushes over the hurdle of this clunky mechanic, (and ironically, still rewards larger groups).. If that stopped and everyone actually turned back toward an IS front... How many planets do you think the clanners would dry drop away before they got bored, and switched factions to an active IS front, or turned on each other (clan vs clan) ???

Think about it people... This is the best form of coordination we could possibly apply here... simply all agree to turn away from the clan front. Ask TCAF (who took the most planets overall) how effective that can be currently... It could be the healthiest thing for CW in the last year for Inner Sphere factions.. Clan wars do not have to dominate this game. Inner Sphere factions could be re-energized.

Things like this could be the catalyst: http://mwomercs.com/...-weekend-event/

Bottom line...there is no cooperative IS on Clan counterattack going on, but I think we should look in a different direction as outlined above..

#7 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

Just wait for the mercs to switch sides.

#8 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

Marik's Star League, oh man the memories

#9 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

yea the 7 people who still play CW should totally get together and push back the clans

#10 SpeCtaCular

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostCzarr, on 13 August 2015 - 10:28 PM, said:

yea the 7 people who still play CW should totally get together and push back the clans

Just what i was thinking about :D Im starting to think that i'll switch to clan side soon if there's not gonna be more activity. At least house Steiner have probably 4 or 5 online at the sametime. Tried to attack like million times but people just wont show up. .

Sure theres the chance to defend but doing that day and day over and over again gets so boring cuz theres no end to it.
Would be fun to attack so there would at least be the chance of capturing a planet.

right now im checkin theres like 100 clanners attacking. Where is all the IS side players :o ( like i said at least House steiner is very much full of absent players ).

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

View PostCainenEX, on 29 July 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

Seems like the clans have made rather unsettling and steady progress to conquering worlds of the inner sphere. I was wondering if there as an active cooperation among the houses to combat this threat? Most of the odds are stacked against the IS because of all the big units on the clan side.

I recalled that at some point there was a "star league" established to help combat the clan during beta1. Is such a thing in effect today?

and before you ask, yes I'm from a merc unit: "The Monitors"

An assaulting faction can not co-op with another faction, so only one faction can attack a planet while defenders are made up of any of the other defending factions. Then that assaulting faction/unit will liking have to run through a few ghost drops before a full company of defenders, made up of pilots from several of the opposing factions, are formed.

Do you really seeing a bunch of pugs from just one faction ghost dropping til Clan defenders show up?

Also, then there are no "supply lines". If there were CW would have to fight CJF, while only defending its southern holdings.

CW Beta 2 is just that. It has a ways to go before it is fleshed out.

#12 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

PGI just needs to implement a reason to fight for the planets. As it is, it's exactly like the first round, which was beta. There's nothing new about the mechanics, nothing new about taking or holding territory, or anything else: it's just really long waits for little or no purpose.

Once they push through meaning for taking a planet? Consequences for losing one? I think the population will come back. But right now, there's literally zero reason to drop in CW when the rewards for the CAS-modes are higher and drops are faster.

#13 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:59 AM

I have noticed about 60% of my friends list went clan. The IS is seriously outmanned now in CW. You see clan wolf dropping 60-72 deep on multiple planets. Kurita and Davion can muster maybe 36 defenders at best. Random pugs can push those numbers to maybe 60 on a big day. Clan active numbers in CW is rought 2-3 times IS. Add in the new clan wave three powerhouses the Cheeta and Ebon.... well the pain continues. Clan wave three had two top tier mechs. The IS can only hope the new mechs bring something competitive. The resistance wave one had nothing for the IS. With the firestarter nerfed to death means only the thunderbolt is left a competitive mech. We will see.

#14 sdsnowbum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostJavin, on 17 August 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

I have noticed about 60% of my friends list went clan. The IS is seriously outmanned now in CW. You see clan wolf dropping 60-72 deep on multiple planets. Kurita and Davion can muster maybe 36 defenders at best. Random pugs can push those numbers to maybe 60 on a big day. Clan active numbers in CW is rought 2-3 times IS. Add in the new clan wave three powerhouses the Cheeta and Ebon.... well the pain continues. Clan wave three had two top tier mechs. The IS can only hope the new mechs bring something competitive. The resistance wave one had nothing for the IS. With the firestarter nerfed to death means only the thunderbolt is left a competitive mech. We will see.

Never underestimate the power (and cluelessness ;) ) of IS random pugs.

IS PUGs will always show up to defend.

#15 Tuann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard, with a beer, chocolate and waffles

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

View PostJavin, on 17 August 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

Cheeta and Ebon are tough, but we still beat them with our IS mechs, no problem.
Just get the right mechs.

#16 Admiral General Doctective

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

The only way to save CW and ensure there are decent matchups would be to artificially balance the factions and clans. You would have to take all the players right now and lottery them into a faction or clan (of course while trying to split the PSR as best as possible). Each CW "season" you could shuffle the factions/clans. Otherwise, people are going to constantly imbalance it.

Obviously the HUGE argument against this is that units would have a hard time staying together and friends getting assigned to other units would not allow them to queue together in CW.

Not much else you can do to stop people who care about winning to flock to the best side.

#17 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

Who wants balanced factions?

I was under the impression that everyone wanted super OP factions that dominated the galaxy, so long as that faction was their faction and not the other guys.

#18 Koshirou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:28 AM

View PostAdmiral General Doctective, on 05 September 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

Not much else you can do to stop people who care about winning to flock to the best side.

There's actually a ton of things you can do: Dynamically modify payouts, grant loyalty payouts for losing as well as for winning, have players sign up for a faction at the beginning of a given CW cycle (of a few months) and then base goals and victory conditions on the faction sizes thereby established...

But just shuffling players around is a very PGI-ish idea, seeing as it is both the laziest and the most aggravating option.

#19 Heckbird

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

At the time of this post every IS faction (except Marik) is attacking the clans and there are active fights in community warfare.

I don't know when the IS finally grew a pair, but I hope this trend lasts. Its made for some of the most fun CW matches I've had in while.

#20 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

IS weight was bumped up to 260 tons this week. It never should have gone back down from 250, but after tuk it did, and 240 v 240 favors the clans

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users