Getting Into Table-Top

13 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

So, with the announcement by CGL about bringing back the remaining Macross Unseen mechs in as close to their original 3025 forms as they can manage without getting lam-basted by Harmony Gold, I'm at the point where I really want to get into the BT/MW Table-Top scene.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I did support the Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter, if only to get most of the Unseen mechs in their original, unadulterated forms.

I've also bought into Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear "War for Terra Nova" kickstarter.

So I'll have plenty to do for assembling and painting.

My question is, what books would I need in order to start getting into the TT rules for BT/MW?

Also, just for clarification, as I'm sure this would help narrow things down... When it comes to factions, I lean towards Davion first, Mercenaries second, and Clan Wolf third... Because I honestly can't not pick at least one clan.

So, between Davion and Mercs, which would be the easiest to start with?

#2 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

So, a bit of a continuation...

I just downloaded the following from good ol' DriveThruRPG. Since a bunch of these books were on sale for almost 50% off in some cases.

Classic Battletech: Quick Start Rules
Classic Battletech Universe
Total Warfare
Tech Manual
Tactial and Strategic Operations
and A Time of War

I figure that'll be enough to get me started in the meantime.

#3 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

I think the first you should get is the introductory starter set.

http://www.amazon.co...ords=battletech

It has all the basic rules, dice, map boards, and a whole slew of miniatures. Its of a very respectable quality and I recommend you get it.

Here is a picture of it's contents.

http://www.waylandga...ory-box-set.jpg

Edited by Rorik Jorgensson, 29 July 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#4 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

Exactly what is in the starter set as far as mechs?

I can make out an Atlas, Cyclops, Dragon, Jagermech, Awesome, Zeus, Hunchback... Maybe a Quickdraw... 7 or 8 out of a total of 24 mechs.

#5 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:02 AM

That would be:

Lights:
Commando
Javelin
Spider
Jenner
Panther

Mediums:
Cicada
Clint
Hermes II
Whitworth
Assassin
Vindicator
Enforcer
Hunchback
Trebuchet
Dervish

Heavies:
Dragon
Quickdraw
Jagermech
Catapult
Grasshopper
Orion

Assaults:
Awesome
Zeus
Cyclops
Banshee
Atlas

#6 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

quick question, since I hate tw and have stuck with the older rules set I don't know how it actually works,
did they include the construction rules for the mechs like they did in the older box sets with the new tw counter parts or did they do something so stupid like split them up forcing you to have to buy more books?

just wondering because I have a BTer in my group that wants to start tw but doesn't want to have to buy ten books just for the stuff like basic rules & mech construction.

thought I would ask since it has to do with this topic

#7 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostVinJade, on 30 July 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

quick question, since I hate tw and have stuck with the older rules set I don't know how it actually works,
did they include the construction rules for the mechs like they did in the older box sets with the new tw counter parts or did they do something so stupid like split them up forcing you to have to buy more books?

just wondering because I have a BTer in my group that wants to start tw but doesn't want to have to buy ten books just for the stuff like basic rules & mech construction.

thought I would ask since it has to do with this topic

The construction rules are in the TechManual. So that's a seperate book. Though it's very thorough and you've got construction rules for BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs, ProtoMechs, Combat Vehicles, Support Vehicles, Conventional Infantry, Battle Armor and Aerospace Fighters.

The rules go deep as well. So if you want to design yourself a Marian Hegemony Mechanized Hovercraft infantry unit (with the MH's special unit sizes), armed with Ebony Assault Laser Rifles and using a secondary squad support weapon in the form of Mk 2 Anti-Air Weapons (a 2 man weapon team needed for each)?

Sure, no problem.

#8 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

so in other words that is a 'yes'

need to buy two books when in the older set you only needed one book for the 'build' your own mech along with the rules you need to play the game, thus not needing to waste money on two books.

I'll pass it on to him since he will be forming a 'spin off' group for the few that want to play tw instead of battletech master rules.

Edited by VinJade, 30 July 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#9 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

So the introductory box set does have all the rules for building and playing 3025 era mechs. It's quite a bit simpler than the 3050 level II construction rules (due to fewer options) , but it is a perfect place to start as it establishes the fundamentals of mech gameplay and construction.

The construction rules in TW are an evolution of what's in the introductory set. All 3025 era mechs built according to either system will be identical.

#10 SYKOJAK333

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts
  • LocationClan Invasion Frontlines

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

What everyone has said already concerning the rules is valid. As to picking a faction, I would reccommend choosing a Mercenary unit. You can fight anyone at any time, just pick a contract. You get the autonomy of running your own unit. You also paint your Mechs in any color scheme you choose to.

#11 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Okay, so I came across a 3rd edition Box Set on eBay, which from what I've been able to find on the actual Battletech.com Forums, is supposed to hold 14 of the good ol' "Unseen" mechs.

As best I can see, this is the only one on eBay, while there are quite a large number on Amazon... However most of those are going for somewhere around $250-$500... With a handful I've seen upwards of $1000-$2000.

The one on eBay is going for $175, with a "Pay $30 for 6 Months" option. It's from a seller that I've done quite a bit of business with over the last few years, so I'm inclined to believe them in their assessment of the contents of the box, but just to be absolutely sure I sent them a message asking about the condition of the rule book as well as the miniatures themselves.

Fingers-Crossed.

#12 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostVinJade, on 30 July 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you hate Total War? Its pretty much 90% the exact same rules with a re-balance of infantry and vehicles to actually give them purpose and meaning while at the same time eliminating some of the redundant phases that bogged down the older rulesets. (reaction phase anyone?)

#13 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:46 PM

So many reasons, so little time, I'll give you a couple

1: need more books to cover the same 'core' information when you only need one for that
2: removing the levels
3: the change to Infernos
4: weapons that they put in game such as the RGR
5: the Change to the Artemis system

that's just five reasons.

I have so many more but those cover some of my top ones.

now don't get me wrong I am not opposed to new things up to a point such as being opened minded when the clans first came out even if I didn't use the tech for a few years after the clans came into play.

#14 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

So, does anyone have any advice as to whether I should look into picking up that 3rd edition box set off eBay?

I still plan on picking up the current intro box set, but those are pretty common still. These 3rd edition sets... You really don't see those pop up too often, being out of print and filled with the Unseen mechs. It sounds like a hell of a deal, but the old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is" still echoes in my head.

Still waiting for the seller to respond to my inquiry, but if it does turn out to be true, it has to be one of those once in a lifetime chances.

Disregard the previous content of this post.

Just came across a cheaper set on Amazon.

Edited by Alan Davion, 02 August 2015 - 05:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users