Lrms Do No Damage If You Move Your Mech Out Of Range After Firing

35 replies to this topic

#1 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

You can test this yourself in the training ground.

Step 1: Equip BAP and advanced Sensor range module so you can target mechs beyond 1000 meters.

Step 2: Next, move your mech about 950 meters from a target mech. Target lock the mech and fire your 1000m range LRMs at it.

Step 3: Reverse out of range beyond 1000 meters before the missiles reach the target.

Result: You will do no damage despite the fact that your missiles only traveled 950 meters.

For whatever reason the opposite does not seem to be true though. Firing out of range and moving in does no damage so that's working as intended.

Unsure how this works with indirect locks.

Edited by Jman5, 29 July 2015 - 03:57 PM.

#2 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

I've always thought it was wonky that you could fire outside 180m, move in closer than 180m, and the missiles don't cause damage.

#3 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

LRMs do not travel in a straight line though ?
Could the curve be accounting for the missing 50M ?

#4 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:51 PM

Did you hit the target at 950m without moving before? I guess you wouldn't hit it too. You forgot to calculate that the arc in which the missiles are flying decrease the max. range. That's why I don't fire LRMs at >850m at all. The arc is even steeper when fired indirectly.

#5 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:33 AM

Tbe range is 1000m straight line. Calculating distance with an arc is beyond this game's ability. After all AMS is a radius that ignores physical objects because it is too difficult to include that data in the simulation. Apparently LRM range is calculated from the mechnot the launch point.

OOPS. I would classify this as an innocent mistake.

#6 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostNorman Kosh, on 29 July 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

Did you hit the target at 950m without moving before? I guess you wouldn't hit it too. You forgot to calculate that the arc in which the missiles are flying decrease the max. range. That's why I don't fire LRMs at >850m at all. The arc is even steeper when fired indirectly.

Standing still at 950m you do damage just fine.

#7 Joker Two

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

The actual flight path of the missile counts toward the 1000m, not the straight line distance. Your backpedaling shouldn't make a difference, although the target's movement would. Have you tested this much? A few meters here or there (even an elevation difference) is all it would take; the missiles visually detonate at the end of their flight but I don't think that triggers splash damage. It may look like they're hitting for no damage when you're actually seeing end-of-run detonations just short of the target.

Actually, even the chassis of the firer and the target could make the difference, with different launcher placements relative to the cockpit and different heights and angles.

#8 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

Kjudoon is absolutely right. Every word.

#9 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

You don't have to take my word for it. Copy my reproduction steps and you will see for yourself. Stand in range, fire, packpeddle out of range before the missiles impact and you will not do any damage.

Make sure you equip BAP and sensor range module for 1000m + targeting range.

#10 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

Yes joker i have tested this in training grounds repeatedly.  1000m is straight line distance.  The movement i have not tested but it seems others have.  Arc is not used in this game.  Ever.  PGI does not use that much realism.  It is too much work and complexity.Also LRMS had splash damage removed completely las february because even at the smallest fraction Russ still died too easy to them so they had to be nerfed more. So they have 0 splash damage.Know your weapons.

Edited by Kjudoon, 30 July 2015 - 04:40 PM.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

If this is for real, that is depressing.

#12 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 July 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

If this is for real, that is depressing.

That LRMs have 1000M range in a straight from mech to target ?

Oh well... I just glad the tracking and splash-removable has made the stupid things more manageable.
Else they still be legging and nearly 1shotting lights/fast mechs for absolutely no reason.

Edited by ShinVector, 30 July 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#13 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

Okay... Your statement was plausable till you claimed LRMS were one shotting your light. Everyone knows LRMS oneshot nothing. Legging.. Rare if ever. I know from experience and watching your videos.

Okay... Your statement was plausable till you claimed LRMS were one shotting your light. Everyone knows LRMS oneshot nothing. Legging.. Rare if ever. I know from experience and watching your videos.

#14 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 30 July 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

1. 'nearly 1shotting' Oh the Jenner disagress... Artemis trying to dodge LRMs... Some how those damn things still track you over a hill, probably due to Target Decay.. BAM!! WTF? Get magical hit in the rear CT.. RED core CT.

2. This was not rare... Most evident with chain fired LRMs against fast mechs... For whatever reason... it would always get the legs.

Deny it all you want... Water under the bridge to me...

From what I can see now.. PGI had adjust the tracking and I am not seeing it anymore nowadays...

#15 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

Nah. I watcb your videos. You got better at dodging and running away. You change angles and are not where the predicted guidance thought. Plus no splash removed the legging of lights who never should be abe to dodge missiles like that.

Of course i dont know what the hit rev adjustments have done. Maybe they improved.

Naaaaaaaah. Whom i kidding? This is PGI.

#16 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

I had always found the distance LRM's travel to ignore the arc, myself. Seeing others say the same thing just confirms that for me. :P

However, I was not aware that walking away from the target affected whether or not damage is done. If'n that is true, it certainly bears some merit for a fix.

#17 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Trust me... That would be a serious fix.

#18 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:08 AM

So I tested it. Yep. true. The distance is 1000m straightline from your mech's CURRENT position. What this also means is that if you are pursuing someone running away, you can keep them inside your range.

So... that's the full part of the glass. Not the half not touching liquid.

But, LRMs still suck so... it's like being a expert spitball shooter. Not really a viable weapon on the MWO battlefield.

Edited by Kjudoon, 03 August 2015 - 02:10 AM.

#19 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

View PostShinVector, on 29 July 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

LRMs do not travel in a straight line though ?
Could the curve be accounting for the missing 50M ?

He is not taking into account traveling arc.

Loading screen tips, they are worth reading.

#20 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:06 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 03 August 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

He is not taking into account traveling arc.

Loading screen tips, they are worth reading.

No they are not because they are woefully outdated.
Traveling arc has no effect on LRM-range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users