Dire Wolf Vs Warhawk

8 replies to this topic

#1 SN95Mustang

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

So I've seen many older posts about this. With the many many updates I've missed in gunna ask what is more utilized the war hawk or dire wolf, I'm going to use them mainly for cw and drop them when crucially needed. Or is it even worth it? I have 3 ebon jags 3 shadow kitties and 3 cheetahs

#2 Not Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 688 posts
  • LocationThat one place

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

For CW, you're better off taking the warhawk, as the Dire weighs too much, and you'd be gimped taking something to counteract the weight of it.

Most clans will usually just fill up on heavies and mediums rather than taking assaults, as the tonnage to firepower is just so much better on heavies, plus there are fantastic heavies such as the Timberwolf, the Hellbringer, and the Ebon Jag, all of which are superior to the DWF/WHK for CW.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

For CW, usually the Daishi. Being a large slow heavy weapons platform hinders the Poor Daishi in normal queue. In CW, you've the enemy being funneled into actual firing lanes, and teammates who will actually travel with you. The Masakari can be dropped with in normal matches and do fine, but the Daishi, the Daishi is practically made for CW. yes, It means your taking a light later on, but there is nothing else out that that can lay down the kind of firepower that slow lunky 100 tonner can.

Sure, you could bring the Masakari so you can drop heavier mechs later. Or, and this is just a preference mind you, you could drop in a Daishi and try get all your kills early. Still, I'd suggest you enjoy playing lights if this is your plan.

*Disclaimer, I own neither, with my Assault choice being the Man'o'War, Cuz I brawl.

~Leone.

#4 SN95Mustang

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

I have found light mechs really fun. I bought the raven mastery pack to get into them while waiting on my cheetahs. On my offence decks I run 2 brawler jags a mid range shadow cat and my dual srm 6 cheetah. Which probably wouldn't change. Defense I see assaults do better cause you don't have to destroy a target and having at least one to draw fire away from the lighter mechs to pummel them as they come in and you don't have to travel as far. I wouldn't have a issue running 2 shadow cats or 2 cheetahs later in the match cause I can get kills and distract pretty well with them. Thanks for the advice guys

#5 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

The Warhawk is superior to the Dire Wolf in Community Warfare. The Dire Wolf is automatically considered a priority target, its maneuverability makes it extremely vulnerable in both brawling and sniping(peeking) situations, and its weight prevents you from fully utilizing the rest of your drop deck. You see Warhawks FAR more often in CW than you see Dire Wolves. There's a reason for that.

The Dire Wolf is superior to the Warhawk in standard matches. The firepower it can carry makes up a much larger percentage of your team's total firepower when it is one out of twelve 'Mechs instead of one out of forty-eight. You meet a lot more players who are relatively inexperienced at the game. "Safe spots" from which to engage the enemy are more common and more varied in nature. The Warhawk does have some significant advantages over the Dire, but overall, the Dire's a better performer here.

If you want to do well in CW, go Warhawk. No ifs ands or buts.

#6 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

I've found it absolutely necessary to have speed in CW. You get that from the Warhawk, but not the Direwolf.

#7 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

CW:

Depends on your Unit's composition. Leadership will tell you whats better for their strategy. WILL BE MAP DEPENDENT. Depends on attack or defend as well.

Boreal screams Dire. Firing lanes/funnels only help Dires all the more.

Solo:

I used to DIre but switched to Warhawk.
NASCAR and a bad spawn can hurt with a Dire.
Warhawks can carry similar firepower but better speed. Warhawks are fairly squishy though for an assault try not to brawl.

#8 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

Full disclosure: For Community Warfare a drop deck consisting of something like EBJ - EBJ - EBJ - SHC or TBR - SCR - SCR - SCR or HBR - HBR - SCR - SCR is almost always preferred to taking one of the Assaults with you. The Clan heavies are really, really good (well, maybe not the Summoner, although it can be used in a pinch), with loads of pod space, good hitboxes, great maneuverability, high speed and access to Clan XL engines and the superior range of the Clan lasers. Plus the Hellbringer has ECM. The four assault mechs don't offer that much more (or even less) than a Timber Wolf while limiting your drop deck with their increased weight and slowing you down with their more limited speed. Sticking with the heavies and mediums will allow you to pick a more consistent and more maneuverable deck, being able to relocate to hot spots fast can be a massive help.

If you, however, insist on taking one of the assaults with you grab a Warhawk. It's the second most maneuverable of the four, weighs the same as a Stalker and can bring considerable hurt. In my opinion the Dire Wolf would be great but it is just too heavy and slow to justify packing it. The other two (Executioner and Gargoyle) are severely limited in their podspace due to loads of jumpjets plus MASC and a friggin enormous engine respectively to pick them over the Warhawk.

Personally my default CW drop deck for the clan side used to be TBR-C (2x LPL, 4x ML), SCR-C (5x MPL), SCR-PRIME (5x SSRM6, TAG) and NVA-A (2x ERPPC). I've had some great success with it and I would not sacrifice any of those mechs for a Warhawk. The Hawk offers pretty much nothing either of these mechs doesn't do better and it's not worth dumping two mechs for it.

#9 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

My take on this:

If you want to bring "ALL THE GUNS!!!" The Dire is calling for you.

If you want something that can actually move & use ER-PPCs to great effect, the Warhawk's a great choice.

But don't be surprised if you immediately get branded as Public Enemy #1 in either of them, more-so for the Dire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users