Highlander, There Can Be Only One Xl Engine.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

So, I've been feeling a bit slow. And while I'm used to it, I'm thinking of trying out an XL in Highlanders, since I get cored out before losing my shield side anyways.

I'm just saving these Highlander builds while I decide if their worth the Cbill investment right now. Feel free to comment/try em yourself. I've some pretty solid builds not deviating from stock Ferro and such, but I'm just theory crafting right now.

The Narc Lander,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...92a98189030a5e7

LRM-topia
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b70a3710ea0523
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b16612f42349e2

Brawling
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8ce50bd704b1513

~Leone

#2 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:46 AM

I have always run my Heavy Metal with an XL engine. Highlander is designe to be a medium - long range assault platform. So if you play it well, you can survive for a long time with a XL. But STD engines are very good too on this chassis and are less expensive.

So for your loadouts :

View PostLeone, on 31 July 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Jesus!!!! Tell me this one is a joke, right? Ha ha ha, you have a lot of sense of humor, don't you? ;)

Four LRM 5 on a LRM boat? This should be a joke too. Kintaro 18 is far better. Highlander are very bad LRM boat. Battlemasters are better for that, Stalkers are better, and Awesomes are better for that too. For your build with the quad LRM 10, if you really want to test it : use the BAP, use ARTEMIS. Without this two equipement, your LRM boat isn't effective at all. You should put an AC/5 or something like this in order to have more weight for the missiles.

How can i say that? You really want to brawl with a Gauss AND a XL engine? You really think it's going to work?

For brawling, the most interesting variant in my opinion is the 733C (the champion variant), this one can put an AC/20 on the arm and two LPL / PPC. But it's better with dual UAC/5, trust me. Highlander are not the best brawler in game. They are very difficult to play because of a lot of different hardpoints type, spread on the chassis. They can't really boat.

You can find very good loadouts with a STD 300, you will not be THAT slow and have better survivability. With the new quirks on the arms armor, highlander can spread a lot of the damages by tweesting.

Examples :

Good old dual UAC/5 + dual PPC. It's still working. Fun with LPL too.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb081264859dfee

Good meta Gauss + triple ERLL. It's a solid loadout.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...044855d06715da1

My HM loadout. It's still working well. Dual AC/5 + Triple LL
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e5c2315e121793

Have fun with your highlanders ;)

#3 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

HGN-732B "The Tank" works with Heavy Metal too

HGN-733C "Jack of all trades"

Replace LRM5:s with SRM4:s if you find the current number ecm mechs annoying

And all old meta-builds work,with the exception of 3 PPC + Gauss 732:s,those run stupid hot now.

armor values to taste,i usually frontload them heavily,leaving only 6-10 points rear

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostAleski, on 01 August 2015 - 01:46 AM, said:

Jesus!!!! Tell me this one is a joke, right? Ha ha ha, you have a lot of sense of humor, don't you? ;)

So... actually, that is a quick and dirty conversion from my old SRM 6 version. (same tonnage as narc, no tweaking necessary.)

A friend of mine can't quite handle the game on his comp. It chunks out the moment they get near a brawl, so the preferred enagement range is snipey. Lrms and large lasers. Only, perhaps I should've said chunks out more near a brawl. Even lasers don't seem to do it for 'em. So, enter the LRM, with all it's ups and downs, most notably the large red box that's more forgiving about shaky aim and chunky systems. Problem is, ECM and holding locks.

Enter the Narc-lander. It's for 'power-leveling', and trying to narc every ecm mech on the enemy team. Honestly, I've played it more than any other build for the Highlander.

How can i say that? You really want to brawl with a Gauss AND a XL engine? You really think it's going to work?

Nope! But, the plan is, get an XL and pass it around. See how things work. (Also, I didn't get the 733C, so no AC20 for me...)

Have fun with your highlanders ;)

<o.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 03 August 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#5 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostLeone, on 01 August 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

Nope! But, the plan is, get an XL and pass it around. See how things work. (Also, I didn't get the 733C, so no AC20 for me...)

<o.

~Leone.

For the NARC, i found this missile very difficult to use. I'm pretty sure it should be easier to use on a quick mech. But i should try more NARC chassis =)

For the brawling with XL, well it's ALWAYS good to test different things. If you twist well maybe you can be more durable than it seems..... It deserve a try!

The HGN-733C is a very cool variant, if you have some c-bills you should try that one too ;)

o7

Edited by Aleski, 02 August 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#6 Lynx OGrady

• PipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWarhawk Cockpit

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:41 AM

Bit late to the thread but I just picked up a Highlander to screw around with. This is what i've come up with

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b1f15b57437b3d5

#7 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:47 AM

I'm of the belief that IS Assaults generally shouldn't run XLs (there's a couple exceptions that run them well), but if you DO want to run an XL in one, it should be as big as possible - you're more fragile so you need the added speed to get away.

So I'd run an XL if I wanted more mobility, rather than pack in more weapons.

#8 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:54 AM

I always put an XL325 on all of my Highlanders so that I can mount 3-4 JJs. All of my 'Landers are currently specced for medium-long ranged combats (e.g. Gauss+3LPL, 2UAC/5+2PPC) and in this range, the XL engines are not a detriment.

#9 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:54 AM

i don't think that the difference in 5km per hour worth rejecting additional firepower. Therefore XL300 is the best balanced engine, especially with 5% additional speed quirk. Those tonnes could be spend at 2 lrm10 with BAP or 2srm6 with artemis, and ams with bap.

Edited by Vetal, 31 August 2015 - 04:55 AM.

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostVetal, on 31 August 2015 - 04:54 AM, said:

i don't think that the difference in 5km per hour worth rejecting additional firepower....

The difference in torso twist is also noticeable.

Gauss+3LPL or 2UAC/5+2PPC doesn't need the extra podspace provided by the XL300 BTW, so it's kind of a moot point for these builds....

#11 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:59 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 31 August 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

The difference in torso twist is also noticeable.

Gauss+3LPL or 2UAC/5+2PPC doesn't need the extra podspace provided by the XL300 BTW, so it's kind of a moot point for these builds....

I used to have xl325 and now I have xl300. Believe me, there aren't so much differences that worth those difference between top speed. maneurability is the same. But you have more free tonnage. It'd be better if you bought radar deprivation and seismic sensor. With such an equip you can hunt both direwolves and locusts which are trying "death circle" against assault, and hunt successfully for their surprise.. No one other 80-90ton mech can do the same.

Edited by Vetal, 04 September 2015 - 04:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users