27 replies to this topic

#21 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 01 August 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

At the elo I'm in no one uses lrms in solo que because of all the ecm carrying mechs. When my tag laser,narc and sml on a light to be a spoter for two buddies trying to lrm boat and still can't get or maintain locks because of all the ecm we just quit. Droped the lrms like the dead useless weight they are and go back to lasers and acs. I stoping running my catapults except the K2 dual ac 20 build. That one still works.

ELO transports you to a magical fantasy land?

#22 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 02 August 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

If you haven't seen an LRM boat in months, then I have a few possible explanations:
  • "Bull. So much freaking bull." I.e. you haven't been paying attention.
  • You're not playing a whole lot
  • You're playing with the top 5% best players in the game, who never use LRM boats. Because I've played with the bottom 95% and let me tell you, LRM boats are not a rare sight.
Either of these explanations seem perfectly valid to me. It's fairly well known that LRMs are very rare when you hit the highest Elo group. But in the meaty part of the Elo bell curve, there's plenty of LRM boats. Not as numerous as laservomit boats or ballistic boats, obviously. But they're quite numerous.

And TAGs are just as common.

Now, I've seen you in-game before with my clan account (Tristan Winter). The next time I see you, I'll point out the LRM boats in the match, if there are any.

I will agree with you that I don't play all that often... But it's rather hard to play when I'm curled up in the fetal position due to the pain I suffer from my Crohn's disease.

When I do play however, I'll usually play for a few hours, take a break, then come back for another couple hours or so. I don't have the luxury of having the whole day available to play games... Not yet anyway if I miss much more time from my job.

I've played my fair share in the solo queue and I still almost never see an LRM boat. I have seen a few TAG users, but generally only when Streaks are being used, and even then with as many ECM mechs running around as there are, the TAGs are rendered almost useless until someone scores a lucky hit and starts taking out the ECMs in the torsos.

As far as the ELO goes... How do you even check that? I know my ELO can't be nearly high enough to get into the top 40%, let alone the top 5%. I know I'm getting better at the game,little by little, but I've still got a long way to go before I reach that level.

#23 Dale Grible

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

If folks bring more ecm mechs ( i.e. hellys instead o timbys) due to decrease range, what about adding ecm to MM?

4-5 ECM mechs per team? Less? 3 tops maybe? With the new regional servers the time to start match seems much quicker. Adding ecm to MM criteria might work. Worth a try. Could always roll it back next patch.

Lrm ideas i like:

1. Track tag
2. Ecm increases lock time (not sure on time though 10 sec too long. 5 too short
3. No artemis benefits w/o LOS
4. Bring back narc by increasing range to say 700-800m and increase speed. Ecm negates narc still

Another idea is change launch angle to mw2 mw3 setup....straight ahead. Would require a lot of engagements under 400m due to map setups. Could negate boating for example my stk-3h is collecting dust with 4 lrm 15A, i would have to change loadout to carry maybe 1 or 2 15s and switch to 2 srm 6s or upgrade LL or LPL. isnt that what meta players want? More lasers? ;)

#24 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

To me the way sensors should work with ECM is that enemy ECM adds a delay of only a few seconds before you can lock onto the other guy, but mainly it is for completely stopping the other guy from ever getting the ECM shielded player's armor and weapon readouts.

Don't dismiss the importance of that readout in the upper right of your screen. That can be the deciding factor on what tactics you go for. If you see a cherry red CT on an enemy catapult with nothing but a pair of LRM-20's for weaponry, chances are pretty good that you're going to go for him in a close combat situation.

But, if you never get that readout and you don't know what you are dealing with, you might just run smack into a "splat cat" with nothing but SRM-6's and full armor and wouldn't know it.

You should still get the red outline around the enemy so you know he is there. I don't like the new River City as it often takes place at night, and with so much ECM in the game right now I get pelted at long range with hits when I step out of cover and they can see me, but I cannot see them because of ECM.

#25 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

anything that decreases the folks on my team using LRMs. They are a major advantage for the other team.

#26 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

Well the thing is you use ECM's lore/ previous generations ECM idea to the fact that it should be for yourself... but then ignore the BAP stuff?

The thing with BAP in lore is it's only ever on the LRM mech NOT for close range ecm fighting or canceling but for having a longer sensor range so it can attack enemies further.

THAT is not going to change in MW: O.

BAP on LRM boats atm is not for people to attack the enemy ECM mech, It is so that a enemy ecm mech wounders towards you, you do not need to run away from him so you can fire at enemies, you just instead jam his ecm and continue shooting at the guy say 600 meters away.

With the ECM range reduction, you made 1 man with ECM covering all his team to 6 people with decent / same spread with ECM to do the same or 4 people in close hugging.

Do you not see what that will do for LRM's? that means much less people will be in ecm cover ,and if they are (say 11 mechs 90 meters away from the ECM mech if possible...) that'll be so much of a easy target that you can just dumb fire your LRM's and technically be more accurate then with guiding as the people all round X person would catch the excess LRM's...

That and BAP was told to still have longer range then ECM.

Either way, LRM mechs will not be hurt- if anything, they will be buffed.

If you want someone to use BAP for the reasons you said, give it to a light mech or a close rrange fighter to cancel it for you aka part of the Role warfare that PGI keeps wanting to improve on and the whole reason these bap ecm changes are occurring.

#27 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

And that's because of the STUPID thing where 2 ECM cancel all TAGs. Which makes exactly zero sensePGI.

#28 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 02 August 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

ELO transports you to a magical fantasy land?

Of course it does. I bear a message from another time...

In any case, ECM utterly negating entire weapon systems was one of the big derps of MWO. It still is, given it still exists as a lock-on negation mechanic. Negating NARC? Sure. Increasing lock time? Sure. But somehow, ECM still shuts down LRMs at range while Beagles only cancel it out at the barest of range- that is, as something a Streakboat can use but an LRM user really only gets the extended (but still mostly useless for getting locks since it only pushes ECM detection radius out a few meters) sensor reach.

Lasers and autocannons meanwhile don't care in the least. One of those little bits that help keep missiles out of even being a second-rate weapon, ECM should just be extending lock-on times, at worst. Not negating them entirely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users