48 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

For the most part, I tend to play with modules. But fairly often, I'm either levelling too many mechs at the same time and I don't have enough modules for all of them, or maybe I just get the urge to play one of my esoteric variants, and I can't be bothered swapping all the modules around for that 10% extra range on medium lasers or radar derp.

Full disclosure: I'm not sure there's a marked difference in my success depending on modules. :(

I hear people go on about how radar derp and seismic is basically mandatory on all mechs, and target info gathering if you have a third module slot. And while I do use modules, I typically just scatter my random collection of modules (360 targeting, advanced zoom, seismic, etc) among my mechs. Advanced zoom is mostly for snipers, of course. Target decay is a HUGE gamechanger for LRM boats. But other than that? Meh.

I can see how it makes a big difference among the top 1% of MWO players, because the margins of error are so small that any advantage is very significant. But that's not where I'm at.

Maybe this just reveals that I'm the most clueless bus driver in the steering wheel underhive, but so be it.

Posted Image

Will anyone else admit that it doesn't make a huge difference for their effectiveness? Or are you all 2 l337 4 me?

PS: Tried to get some data on WLR based on Modules equipped, but it appears that part of the personal stats was so broken that PGI has stopped gathering data.

#2 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

Never have the money to buy to modules yet, but I really want Seismic sensor on my Light scouts. I really hate having to facecheck around the corner.

#3 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

I think modules like Seismic are even more important now - saved me from pulling a corner like Xoco many many times, especially now with all the ECM out there. Almost every lance is now cloaked.

#4 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

Uhm... range modules make a huge differences when it comes to extrem long range
like e.g. on a BLR-1S. When fireing beyond 1km those 10% range direclty translates in 10% more damage obviously.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 02 August 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

Will anyone else admit that it doesn't make a huge difference for their effectiveness? Or are you all 2 l337 4 me?

It does make huge difference if you count the quirks in addition to it. Without the module, the Huginn shoots little more than 2x speed. With the 12% cooldown module, it shoots 3x faster. It matters.

Similar deal with range too. An ML with ranged quirk in addition to the 10% range module fits much better with the LPL for same range alpha. 10% range = 10% more damage beyond default optimum range = more rewards.

So yeah, those modules are important. ESPECIALLY SEISMIC.

Radar Derp can be covered with skill, but Seismic is basically a hack. A must have.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 August 2015 - 07:31 AM.

#6 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Now days ill skip radar derp on light mech because it's far easier to find cover quick. But seismic is always with me, everytime i get behind people my first thought is "get seismic noob".

#7 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Weapon modules? Cooldown is very usefull on long CD weapons like AC20 and ERPPC.
Radar derp? very useful for light mechs.
I don't have seismic yet... i just don't want to spend 6 mil on a thingy when i can buy big stompy robots and have more fun with them.
Anything else i find is rarely that important.

#8 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:28 AM

Modules get the most effectiveness based on how well you can put them to use.
  • Seismic Sensor is only a good module if you have the discipline to constantly check the mini-map and use it.
  • Weapon cooldown mods are only helpful if you know how to manage your heat curve.
  • Sensor range is only good if you are attempting to spot past 800 meters.
  • Target acquisition is only helpful if you are trying to maintain locks.
Etc etc.

For less experienced players just learning the fundamentals, this stuff makes a difference, but probably not a big enough one until you have the skill sets needed to KNOW how to make a difference using the weapons.

I would say if your starting out Radar Dep, and Range weapon mods are probably the most helpful.

Radar Dep because it is a very "passive buff" on mechs that help break LRM locks that many new players have trouble dealing with.

And range because until you have learned the "sweet spot" for many weapons, you will most likely be shooting weapons past optimal range and these mods directly help with damage past optimal range.

Modules do make a difference, but it defiantly is a small one. They tend to be about adding just a bit more versatility to a mech rather then a blatant upgrade that essentially makes them min-maxed much more then they should be.

#9 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

End of the day I think only Radar Dep, Seismic, are of any use in PUGs, once you get into top gun country, radar dep isn't of much use, as very few take LRM's (if any its clan in CW if its not a pug group) so target info, and Seismic become the ones to have, though currently T.I isn't much use because of the close to 100% ECM blanket, it could change with the ECM changes but who knows.

if your a sniper then Zoom, and radar dep in pugs or swap out RD for Seismic in group play ( its much more handy to pick up on ECM lights trying to mug you)

Range gains on long range weapons are pointless as the extra distance for effective range is worth squat, currently I think the only ones worth having are Streaks SRM and short range weapons like the AC20, only time this isn't the case is when the mechs quirks add range, then it might just be worth a range mod to give it a further boost.

Cool down quirks are handy, if your a disciplined player, and manage heat well, if your just a corner poke alpha pilot then they are pointless in most mechs as your going to go into over heat after the second alpha, again I think they are only of general use with slow firing weapons ( 12% of SRM 6 or an AC20 is a much bigger chunk then 12% of an ac2 or small pulse cool down). again there are some quirked mechs where they are useful outside my generalisation though only the top players will notice any effect.

Grid Iron gauss cool down with its quirks is an obvious choice, outside the box

but I think most modules are pretty worthless

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

For weapon modules, just the cooldown module is enough to just chuck AC20s are a fairly more rapid pace on the Enforcer-4P. In many cases, it makes builds hotter than they normally would be under a smurfy loadout (4 CERMEDs with Cooldown makes life more toasty).

Seismic has been game changing from the beginning. However, I think it's made me less active on the "twitching" front (trying to scan the field more often. Relying on Seismic has allowed me to brawl more effectively with "less surprises" around the corner.

Radar Derp simply reduces the impact of LRMs (or just people targeting me) a lot, so it's still a must have.

Target Info Gathering has been looked at less (due to module slot limitations), but considering Radar Derp being somewhat of a factor, it's still useful under limited circumstances these days.

I'm pretty much reliant on Seismic either way.

#11 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

If your style is peeking and shooting then not so much really since those CD modules won't be utilized, you'll have cover so radar derp is so-so, you'll be with your team so you don't need advanced seismic. The only thing that might be significant are range modules or airstrikes but you can compensate for the range with positioning.

Now if I want to charge out of cover guns blazing then hell yes I want my full CD modules and Airstrike and Coolshots because the other guy has to die before I do. :lol: :ph34r:

Edit:

For numbers I decided to add:

SRM6 CD module is about a 0.43 DPS increase to that weapon. If you had 3 SRM6 it would be a 1.30 DPS increase.
An AC20 CD module is a 0.68 DPS increase for one AC20.

An IS Medium Laser does 1.28 DPS so you can have something to compare it to.

You get the idea. :ph34r:

Edited by Elizander, 02 August 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#12 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

Seismic module on short-ranged light 'Mechs is pretty significant.

#13 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 02 August 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

Modules aren't about huge effectiveness.

Modules are like two cars are in a race, and the drivers are evenly matched and there is a new <thingamabob> that gives a 10% edge.

Both drivers/cars need/want that extra 10% because their competition will have it.

#14 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 02 August 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

Modules are like two cars are in a race, and the drivers are evenly matched and there is a new <thingamabob> that gives a 10% edge.

Both drivers/cars need/want that extra 10% because their competition will have it.

Generally, yes.

But some quirked mechs + module is the difference between a 20% buff and a 30%.

Pretty big difference there compared to the unquirked.

#15 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

I dunno myself. I have the range modules, seismic, target info gathering, and consumables on my S-Cat and other then the seismic I don't really see a huge difference either way. The consumables are mostly a waste of c-bills unless you are running premium time and have a c-bill bonus mech in my humble opinion. Most people only earn 100k C-bills and then lose 80k just to replenish their consumables so 20k a match isn't a great profit, again in my opinion.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 02 August 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

^This. If the other guy has a nitrous tank or push-to-pass, you sure better too.

Except seismic. Seismic is simply game-changing.

#17 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

Seismic is a game changer for the Locust. Everything else is pretty minor in impact, but nice to have. Those small fractions of damage extra from range buffs and reduced milliseconds in cooldown from cooldown buffs can make the difference in a close duel. Those duels happen maybe 1 out of a 1000 matches, so yeah, they aren't really too significant.

Double basic'd skills, on the other hand, are ridiculously important, and the whole piloting tree should be nerfed/redone.

#18 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

Radar Derp let's you know when someone targets you, and when they lose lock. Very important for, say, a Light mech, or just general situational awareness. It means that, perhaps, you should GTFO.

Seismic is pretty self explanatory, it's a WallHack. And it works wonderfully at short range. That mech you're brawling, who just ran behind that building...which corner will he choose to peek from? Stop and find out, blow his face off when you see that red dot.

Range is mainly to deal more damage, as noted above. 700M MLs in the case of the BJ1x and quirks, which are very nice (max, not optimal).

Cooldowns on their own are small bonuses, but bonuses nonetheless. Add FF, and you go from 0 to 17%. Nearly a fifth faster recycle, which is always nice.

But...add quirks to it, and you get impressive gains. That 15% quirk? That just became 32%. Double what it previously was.

That 50% quirk, which gives you 2x firepower? Suddenly, you get 67%, which means a 33% cooldown, which means a full 3x Firepower. That 17% cooldown gave you a 100% gain in firepower. Small numbers add up.

#19 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

Radar Derp really isant that important where as its counter part, Target Dec is very useful and important to have if you are an LRM mech.
Of all the Moduals, Seismic is super useful. I can't tell you how many times that thing has saved my life.

As for Weapon mods, ones for weapon cooldown are better in my opinion than range. Range mods work best for specific mechs and builds and has its place to be sure, but no matter what, Weapon Cooldown mods are more useful more often then not, particularly for missiles and ballistic weapons with their low heat.
Just the other day I got C-SRM4 cooldown for my Splat/Daka Dog hybrid, sense its an A-symmetrical build and one of the ST is a Prime Omni that reduces missile cooldown by 5%, plus the 12% for the C-SRM4 Cooldown mod which cranks it to 17% and was super noticeable.

#20 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

With seismic sensor you're talking about pseudo-maphack at close range. Whenever I equip it, I'm constantly using it to see nearby enemies and dictate my movement.

With radar deprivation it's pretty common to avoid a LRM volley thanks to it and being harder to track is helpful.

Target Decay definitely helps me get a whole bunch of my LRMs on target that would otherwise not hit.

There is no way any of us can prove that a module won the game, but it's not hard to see why they provide such a tactical advantage. it's an asset slot to use or lose, not using it is akin to not using your full tonnage. Sure you could still win plenty of games, but you would be stronger by filling unused tonnage with more of gear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users