How Significant Are Modules, Really?

48 replies to this topic

#21 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

Radar Derp is obvious for lrms, but it also keeps you less prominent as a shiny object. IF your red square is up longer than other folks, you will become the one that they remember and chase after. If your square falls off while others are still up, this will mean your chances of repositioning go up while someone else takes it for the team.

#22 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

Seismic is a must. People over recommend radar derp. The weapon modules are not needed but nice to have.

#23 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

I have yet to buy a module, so I can't exactly comment on their effectiveness, but that said, I've chosen to buy new mechs over modules for the past two years and have done fine, so at a minimum they aren't required to do well.

(Founders MC bought me more mechbays than I'll ever fill, so thus the cost of a new mech is exclusively the cbill cost for me, and thus, usually cheaper than a module and definitely more interesting).

#24 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

I love flanking maneuvers, so Radar Derp is a must - not because the fast break on locks, but mostly because the alarm it does when the enemy breaks lock. For me its like "hey buddy you have been spotted, enemy team is now aware of you in their flank".

Seismic is mandatory for all my mechs, i always "keep one eye" on the minimap.

Range and cooldown are more situational, but i like to "combo" them with quirks. Cheesy.

#25 Light-Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

To the Lights:
In addition with what everyone else said, if you are in a light, Radar Derp also trolls Streak boats.

#26 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

They should flat out increase your performance, but if you're pugging and the majority of the enemies do not have modules, then you're at no real disadvantage.

#27 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

modules are a huge deal... Target Decay is HUGE for lrms, advanced zoom is amazing with laservomit\gauss, and seismic + radar derp are a brawler's best friend.

#28 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

I have to consider how many times seismic or radar derp has saved me at least a bit long in a match. To me its cumulative in nature pugging. Overall I don't see big increases in scores because one is mounted or not though except in the rare occasion it plays out the match is working for my module.

I don't leave home without them unless leveling a mech.

#29 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

radar derp, seismic = worth
target info, adv zoom = worth 50%
rest ..... meh

#30 Radbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:17 AM

I find Mech modules mandatory. As mentioned, Adv. Target Decay is a must for a LRM boat, Siesmic and Target Info are great on a brawler etc. The weapon mods on the other hand, not that important. I have a few on some mechs, just because they stack well with quirks, mostly AC20 and LRM15/20 cooldown. I have unlocked more but meh .. they're really not worth the 3 mil.

I run a tight stable with 19 active mechs (Easily done when you're determined to only run chickewalkers =D), but they're all outfited with two mechmodules each. Maybe 5 have weapon modules.

#31 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:36 AM

The only real must have is "seismic".

For the rest, when dropping solo/puglandia, I'm a lillte bored of long waiting time to change and save loadout.

When dropping "serious", cooldown is important to enhance dps.

#32 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:14 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 02 August 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

Will anyone else admit that it doesn't make a huge difference for their effectiveness? Or are you all 2 l337 4 me?

PS: Tried to get some data on WLR based on Modules equipped, but it appears that part of the personal stats was so broken that PGI has stopped gathering data.

I don't know about me being 1337, but you're probably high if you think modules don't matter. I can't begin to count the number of times seismic has saved me. Target decay is practically mandatory if you plan to do any lurming, advanced zoom makes extreme range sniping so much more effective it's ridiculous and weapon modules can significantly boost your firepower, especially on quirked mechs. The only reason I haven't mentioned radar deprivation yet is that it's not as good as seismic and frankly I don't really need it, it's my second or third module depending on whether or not I need target decay.
The other mech modules aren't all that useful, but if you have them and you don't have enough good modules for your mechs and you don't want to keep swapping them out or you can't, you might as well use them, they do give some advantages.
Consumable modules are extremely useful too. The ability to effectively manipulate enemy movement or deal lots of damage to a deathball and blind them is awesome, a well placed strike combined with a good assault can easily crush most groups. UAVs are the single most effective way to gather intel, there is a reason good players prioritize shooting them down whenever possible. Cool shots are great for quickly securing a kill, but generally they benefit the solo player more than the team player so I wouldn't pick them over the other consumables.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 03 August 2015 - 01:17 AM.

#33 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:25 AM

Used to like adv. zoom. Now that I use headtracking, it's just an annoyance and distraction most of the time. I can lock my view to use it, but most of the time I don't want to bother.

#34 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:26 AM

Info gathering + Dual CP
Range/Cool down AC20
Range SRM6
Seismic.
The usual Modules for my Atlas-S. Not game changing but helpful,

#35 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:38 AM

Radar Derp depends on the mech. If I'm driving my King Crabs or Awesomes, Radar Derp directly translates to much increased survivability, because they move so slow that every second the enemy can keep a lock means more hits from LRMs.

Also, much more important, showing up as little as possible on the map is really important when you are slow, since it makes it much easier to not be outmanoeuvred, and for as few enemies as possible to gang up on you if you do show up on the map.

#36 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:42 AM

I have lost count of the number of times that radar derp has saved my arse. It and seismic are must haves in my book.

Edited by Bongo TauKat, 03 August 2015 - 01:44 AM.

#37 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:09 AM

mech modules are basically hacks, completely change the game

weapon modules are strong combined with quirks, otherwise ok

#38 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:18 AM

View PostSpiralFace, on 02 August 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

Modules get the most effectiveness based on how well you can put them to use.
  • Seismic Sensor is only a good module if you have the discipline to constantly check the mini-map and use it.
  • Weapon cooldown mods are only helpful if you know how to manage your heat curve.
  • Sensor range is only good if you are attempting to spot past 800 meters.
  • Target acquisition is only helpful if you are trying to maintain locks.
Etc etc.

For less experienced players just learning the fundamentals, this stuff makes a difference, but probably not a big enough one until you have the skill sets needed to KNOW how to make a difference using the weapons.

I would say if your starting out Radar Dep, and Range weapon mods are probably the most helpful.

Radar Dep because it is a very "passive buff" on mechs that help break LRM locks that many new players have trouble dealing with.

And range because until you have learned the "sweet spot" for many weapons, you will most likely be shooting weapons past optimal range and these mods directly help with damage past optimal range.

Modules do make a difference, but it defiantly is a small one. They tend to be about adding just a bit more versatility to a mech rather then a blatant upgrade that essentially makes them min-maxed much more then they should be.

that view is a bit flat.

Weapon cooldowns for stuff liek AC 5 on heat neutral mechs is basically a straight buff in DPS.

radar range does matter a lot as well, becasue lrm's ahve 1000m range and so a mech with lrm's can lokck earlier if he wants.

target dta aquisition is very important. to reveal weakspots, so its not for locking on, it also helps in brawls to quickly determine areas to shoot off.

range moduls in general a re a good deal as well.

radarderp helps a lot as well, not only vs lrm'. specially when you have some duel like battle in faster mechs wil hills, the radarderp can directly cover you on the radar preventing the opponent from giving you an idea what your next way to aproach is. Or in which way oyu retreat if you have multiple ways to go.

Modules can definately give you the edge on the same skillevel, given people know how to use them.

View Posthappy mech, on 03 August 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

mech modules are basically hacks, completely change the game

especially hillclimb right?

Edited by Lily from animove, 03 August 2015 - 06:17 AM.

#39 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:19 AM

I own 1 seismic and 1 radar deprivation that I just shuffle over to whatever mech I'm using. I have other modules but that is all I really ever need.

The trick is that whenver I stop using a mech, either for the day or the session, I always take off whatever modules are on it. That way I don't have to play "find the module" amongst my 50 mechs or whatever.

#40 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

Radar Dep is as good as having ECM in most situations, people might still see you running around, but its alot easier to dodge missles and keep the enemy guessing when you have it, I would even go as far to say its the most OP module you can get that does the most for you without costing you tonnage.

Seismic is pretty handy, I always go with Radar Dep first, but I've seen guys get the upper hand in some pretty bad situations by running it, and coming out on top just because they had the info on where the enemy was, its like having a silent free UAV for CQB.

Range modules translates to better average damage dealt over range, so I would say go with Range first.

Cooldowns while almost necessary on some mechs like Timberwolf or Stormcrow with negative cooldown nerfs built into some OmniPods, are not really necessary for most situations.
You'll end up running much cooler and be able to moderate your heat output better when you can't just spray over and over.
Unless its for Gauss or other cooler ballistics, they're not worth the extra heat from marginal DPS increases.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users