Camo, Colors, And Being Spotted.

39 replies to this topic

#1 SolVali

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

Do you think having camo and colors makes you easier to spot? Do you tend to get targetted more if you have bright colors?

#2 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

If you got ECM its definitely nice to blend in.

Otherwise when your almost dead having memorable camo just makes you really easy to identify and kill.

Edited by Tennex, 02 August 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#3 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostVirarasa, on 02 August 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Do you think having camo and colors makes you easier to spot? Do you tend to get targetted more if you have bright colors?

My Wubshee is brightly colored Blue, Green, Red Urban Block pattern.

A good match in Solo is 3 kills, 500+ damage...and not really being seen. Also any decent Spider pilot should be bright and garish...

Same as my white PB Locust...maybe with 1-2 kills though and 300-400 damage.

#4 SolVali

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

Right, should probably put a different camo on then.

Posted Image

#5 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

Bright colors will definitely make you more noticeable, but only when there's good contrast between your mech and the environment, and when there's good lighting. Certain maps skew all colors towards one value, like Caustic Valley to green, so camo doesn't mean as much.

Mech silhoutette, movement, and radar detection are far greater means of being noticed. On top of that, people are probably more likely to target you based on your mech, location, damage, and a myriad of other factors, rather than color.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:01 AM

There's a saying attributed to Benjamin Franklin: "When all candles be out, all cats be gray"

It's strangely fitting for MWO, because unless you're looking at a mech at very close range in broad daylight, it's basically a dark grey blob. And even in broad daylight, from a distance, every mech is a dark grey blob.

You painted it green? It's a dark grey blob.
You painted it blue? It's dark grey.
Red and yellow stripes? Dark grey.
Crazy fluorescent pearlescent lime, purple and yellow? Dark. Grey. Blob.

It would be cool if camo actually worked in this game, or if you could recognize someone's camo from a distance. But no such luck. I suppose in a certain sense, camo does work on some maps. Because everything is grey and brown from a distance on those maps. Even white mechs.

#7 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostVirarasa, on 02 August 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

Right, should probably put a different camo on then.

Posted Image

Nailed it

#8 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostVirarasa, on 02 August 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

#9 oneproduct

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

I wear solid black all the time. In dark maps or night maps without night vision on you're definitely harder to spot. The other bonus when solid black is that it can be harder to distinguish CT from ST as it's harder to make out details.

#10 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:18 AM

View Postoneproduct, on 02 August 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

I wear solid black all the time. In dark maps or night maps without night vision on you're definitely harder to spot. The other bonus when solid black is that it can be harder to distinguish CT from ST as it's harder to make out details.

Black? Why not go solid gold instead?

#11 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

Most camo is worthless. Its best use is to break up the body segment lines that can sometime serve as shooting markers. That said, patterns like virus or woodland can blend colors if you are lacking a specific hue. I mostly run nothing or Sherman on my mechs.

The visual concealment element of paints chosen is dependent on how much the chroma "pops" as well light dark value.

Camo tan, camo green and camo grey/blue are the best paints. The pure whites stand out too much and black is a good choice but only a few maps.

Most reds are very similar. Basic red is very combinable with other pay colors. When designing a parade scheme, it doesn't matter what candy hue of red you have the differences are fairly minor.

Never run basic green that will attract fire to you like a fly to honey. When I desire a monotone green I usually go with a darker choice like Tundra or Camo Dark Green.

Edited by Spheroid, 02 August 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#12 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 02 August 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

There's a saying attributed to Benjamin Franklin: "When all candles be out, all cats be gray"

It's strangely fitting for MWO, because unless you're looking at a mech at very close range in broad daylight, it's basically a dark grey blob. And even in broad daylight, from a distance, every mech is a dark grey blob.

You painted it green? It's a dark grey blob.
You painted it blue? It's dark grey.
Red and yellow stripes? Dark grey.
Crazy fluorescent pearlescent lime, purple and yellow? Dark. Grey. Blob.

It would be cool if camo actually worked in this game, or if you could recognize someone's camo from a distance. But no such luck. I suppose in a certain sense, camo does work on some maps. Because everything is grey and brown from a distance on those maps. Even white mechs.

I'd like to relate a story:

Way back when I was a younger pup, I used to play paintball almost religiously. One day, I wound up on the field at the same time as a professional team called the 'Psycho Clown Posse'. Their schtic was a clown getup. Wigs, brightly colored uniforms and load-bearing gear, loudest colors and patterns you could possibly imagine. You would think that 'hiding' on a woodland field would be impossible for them and yet, they were some of the sneakiest players I've ever seen! Or, more accurately, didnt see. Most of their eliminations came against players that didnt even know they were there.

Camo helps. Knowing what your doing helps magnitudes more!

Edited by Firelizard, 02 August 2015 - 09:34 AM.

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

My Clan mechs never needed to blend in, cause they do not die instantly to torso shots like that of my IS mechs.

BY DA POWER OF GHAZGHKULL, I HAVE DA DAKKA!

Posted Image

And here is my Golden Lady.

Posted Image.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 August 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#14 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

All of my mechs are brightly colored.

Bright orange, bright blue, bright green, some whites, some blacks for accent...

The brightest of them all are my Jenners to be a better squirrel. Does it make people more likely to shoot at me? Oh yes. Shame that they didn't think before they followed the Pied Jenner to the rest of my FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL assault mechs.

#15 Sader325

• 1,181 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

People are blind and mechs are hard to see.

You have no idea how easy it to juke people with a simple power down.

#16 ScreamingSkull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

I use H and N so often that I don't really pay much attention to camo.

#17 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

All mechs look like grey blob beyond 700ish meter, under 500m is when you start seeing camo details.
I tend to prioritize mechs with custom paint jobs when given 2 identical targets.

However, I also paint my mechs.
Some to draw attention away from friendlies, some because they look cool.

Like this Zeus Pimp9S(say it really fast)
Posted Image

Edited by xengk, 03 August 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#18 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

I've found some of the darker, splotchier camos and paints hide mechs pretty well on maps like Bog. But really only if they have ECM, because you should be target-locking anyway.

Brighter colors do draw fire from some people, but I don't think it's a noticeable enough amount to deter you from using them. And like the others said, has to be up close anyway to even see them.

#19 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

I used to think it made a difference, and tbh it really doesn't.

Its not going to matter what color your mech is if you have a giant red box and Dorito pointing straight at you.

The way the ambient lighting is on most maps, even if you have a map matched color scheme your color generally gets some wash as a darker blob no matter what.

ECM mechs do get an advantage with earth tones and blends of grey, but its not as good as it could be.

The excessive Candy coating specular maps on Clan mechs for instance, you can see them a mile away glinting in whatever light there is, and its a dead giveaway, unlike a decent amount of IS mechs that have flatter tones on the paintjob and are a little bit harder to spot when under ECM.

Alot of people just stick to Thermal vision, and it pretty much renders all camo & colors obsolete.

#20 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

This is a the question I wrestle with constantly, and build my attempts of where to seek cover around. I favor Com Guard style Titanium White, so I believe that unless I am on Alpine or Frozen City that I can and will be spotted from across the map if I'm out in the open.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users