• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:59 PM

Kodiak!? Yes, you must say yes, you must want the big info.

You simply.

Cannot.

Deny.

THE HYPE FOR WANTING THIS MACHINE OF WAR.

"Or face the claws of clan ghost bear!!"

(Ignore the fact I'm with Marik, I almost joined the GB faction, but something else said otherwise, I might just join up with ghost bear if we get the kodiak ) :)

Edited by Scout Derek, 02 August 2015 - 11:02 PM.

#2 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:20 PM

Man ive loved the Kodiak ever since i saw the MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy Intro

Would want!

#3 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:23 PM

Don't understand why people want it so badly :mellow:

Please don't eat me.

#4 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

View PostGonaDie, on 02 August 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

Don't understand why people want it so badly :mellow:

Please don't eat me.

100 ton clan mech with jump jets. Clan totem mech of clan ghost bear. Lots of hardpoints, lots of tons for weaponry.

#5 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:03 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 02 August 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

100 ton clan mech with jump jets. Clan totem mech of clan ghost bear. Lots of hardpoints, lots of tons for weaponry.

Dire wolf

#6 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:05 AM

Far more Inner Sphere 'Mechs to get to first mate...

#7 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:07 AM

View PostGonaDie, on 03 August 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

Dire wolf

Is not a Kodiak. The direwolf is also not a battlemech like the Kodiak but an omnimech.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:51 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 02 August 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

You simply.

Cannot.

Deny.

(Ignore the fact I'm with Marik, I almost joined the GB faction, but something else said otherwise, I might just join up with ghost bear if we get the kodiak ) :)

Stone Rhino> Kodiak.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:03 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 02 August 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

You simply.

Cannot.

Deny.

Kodiak is a good battlemech but Bane is the best. All I want is the Bane. ;)

#10 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:23 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 August 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

Stone Rhino> Kodiak.

Definitely want the Stone Rhino. Kodiak...not so much.

#11 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:25 AM

View PostGonaDie, on 03 August 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

View PostScout Derek, on 02 August 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

Dire wolf

I must quote it for being the truth.
Everything (relevant) mentioned above is already exactely there in the form of the DWF (and/or the EXE if you want maneuverability).

Being the emotional totem of a clan is not really an argument, at least not for any non-Teddy-lovers.
Also, if we're talking on the RPG/lore-level, how can a Second Line Mech be a valid totem of a Clan?
It's like the teddies are saying "Sory, we little behind in tenokology because be stupids".

A more mature approach is:
Does it bring enough new and distinctive possibilities on the content level?
100 tonner with XL 400 is nice, but not that distinctive to the EXE.
If you want Weapons, the DWF will beat it. If you want speed, the EXE will beat it.

And when it's finally there, people will immediately say "it's too big, it is too easy to kill, DWF is much lower, EXE is much slimmer".

In the end it boils down to "OMG it has 8 ML as claws! How cool is that! And there was that video ages ago, too! I don't think much past that, I just want it!!!"
Like a 5 year old screaming for ice cream.

(ON the 5yo-level: I played MW2:GBL as well and I found the intro kind of lame. Terribly worse than the MW2 intro with the TBRs. All the Kodiak's dramatic impression comes from the howling, not the Mech. You do realize it will not howl in MWO, right? Also it moved pretty sluggish. No comparison to the TBR chasing through the canyon)

Is that really worth the design effort compared to getting e.g. the Behemoth/Stone Rhino or the Supernova?

Edited by Paigan, 03 August 2015 - 03:32 AM.

#12 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:44 AM

Yeah, because of the Dire Wolf, Kodiak is not that attractive. It also only has one ballistic mount save for Kodiak 3. Not enough missiles hardpoints to make it fun.

#13 Zeoraimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:32 AM

View PostPaigan, on 03 August 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

You do realize it will not howl in MWO, right?

They could make the howl into a War Horn :P

#14 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:45 AM

Stone Rhino before Kodiak! 100 tons, 2 guass, 2 large pulse, 1 small pulse, jump jets. Booya!
Posted Image

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostMors Draco, on 03 August 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

Stone Rhino before Kodiak! 100 tons, 2 guass, 2 large pulse, 1 small pulse, jump jets. Booya!
Posted Image
No sir.

XL
3 Gauss (arms and RT)
2 ERPPC (Side Torsos)
No Jump
Full armor

PROFIT!!!!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 03 August 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#16 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 August 2015 - 05:48 AM, said:

View PostMors Draco, on 03 August 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

No sir.

XL
3 Gauss (arms and RT)
2 ERPPC (Side Torsos)
No Jump
Full armor

PROFIT!!!!

I always wondered why take a chassis that has three equal guns as a distinctive feature but then build a completely different loadout ingame.

3 Gauss and 2 PPCs would make much more sense for that chassis.
Although the Gauss whining would be epic :-D

To balance it, it could have very limited hardpoints, similar to the warhawk.
LT 1E
RT 1E 1B
LA 1E 1B
RA 1E 1B
Hd AMS

Edited by Paigan, 03 August 2015 - 06:04 AM.

#17 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:16 AM

View PostPaigan, on 03 August 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

I must quote it for being the truth.
Everything (relevant) mentioned above is already exactely there in the form of the DWF (and/or the EXE if you want maneuverability).

Being the emotional totem of a clan is not really an argument, at least not for any non-Teddy-lovers.
Also, if we're talking on the RPG/lore-level, how can a Second Line Mech be a valid totem of a Clan?
It's like the teddies are saying "Sory, we little behind in tenokology because be stupids".

A more mature approach is:
Does it bring enough new and distinctive possibilities on the content level?
100 tonner with XL 400 is nice, but not that distinctive to the EXE.
If you want Weapons, the DWF will beat it. If you want speed, the EXE will beat it.

Does an urbanmech do that? These things are a joke yet still ended up ingame.

As for your lore comment, technology is not everything but the Kodiak has all the same tech as omni's apart from modular equipent and it embodies Ghost Bear warfare. Funny how you had to be a Wolf since a front line freebirth hating unit got beaten by a trinary that had a Kodiak that was piloted by a freebirth and he took some wolf pups down.

I just want to see every clan get their totem mechs as so far only Clan Smoke Jaguar has one of theirs.

#18 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:34 AM

I can't find a variant of Stone Rhino which has 3B to permit that 3Gauss/2ERPPC build. On the other hand, Bane (Kraken) can do 4x cGauss with 12 tons of ammo and XL300.

#19 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:40 AM

View PostBregor Edain, on 03 August 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

Does an urbanmech do that? These things are a joke yet still ended up ingame.

As for your lore comment, technology is not everything but the Kodiak has all the same tech as omni's apart from modular equipent and it embodies Ghost Bear warfare. Funny how you had to be a Wolf since a front line freebirth hating unit got beaten by a trinary that had a Kodiak that was piloted by a freebirth and he took some wolf pups down.

I just want to see every clan get their totem mechs as so far only Clan Smoke Jaguar has one of theirs.

Urbie:
It might surprise you, but I hated the Urbi being done as well.
They invested much more time into it like they do for other Mechs (marketing videos, cockpit items and stuff).
I have the impression they could have done at least two other Mechs for that time.

And what was the effect of it?
Games got terrorized by Urbies for a week or two and now hardly anyone uses them anymore.

Apart from that, hehe, the Urbi STILL brought more distinctive features into MWO than the Kodiak would: 360° torso twisting.

Technology:
Well then there's some pretty inconsistency in the story.
On the one hand, Battlemechs (Second Line Mechs and IIC) are considered inferior and all that by Clans and then on the other hand one clan would say "Meh, it's the same technology, it's just as good."

I stick with it: If a clan uses a non-omni has an iconic Mech, it's just down right stupid.

Battlemechs funnily seem to be more flexible than Omnis in MWO, but consider if they would be done appropriately:
- They would take forever to refit, impossible during an ongoing campaign.
- They would take a lot longer to repair.
- They could not strap on and off jump jets as one likes.
- Maybe some lore-natic might even come up and say "You can't fit many of the state-of-the-art items like TCs etc on Clan Battlemechs because reasons.

Accepting all those disadvantages for an iconic Mech would be only justifiable for "marketing reasons".
I'm pretty sure Clans don't do "marketing", so the only explanation left would be stupidity.

On a realistic level: I guess there simply was some guy who didn't care/know about lore properly but somehow got into the position to make such a decision and now the nonsense is there.

Still no reason to demand it in MWO over more distinctive alternatives.

Edited by Paigan, 03 August 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

View PostPaigan, on 03 August 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

I always wondered why take a chassis that has three equal guns as a distinctive feature but then build a completely different loadout ingame.

3 Gauss and 2 PPCs would make much more sense for that chassis.
Although the Gauss whining would be epic :-D

To balance it, it could have very limited hardpoints, similar to the warhawk.
LT 1E
RT 1E 1B
LA 1E 1B
RA 1E 1B
Hd AMS

I'm sorry have I ever struck you as one who worried about the whine?

Only thing that would stink about this build here is Ghost heat on teh PPCs and forced single shot on the Gauss, cause whiners suck.

View PostHit the Deck, on 03 August 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

I can't find a variant of Stone Rhino which has 3B to permit that 3Gauss/2ERPPC build. On the other hand, Bane (Kraken) can do 4x cGauss with 12 tons of ammo and XL300.

You never look at teh HeavyMetal Pro forum. My Srone Rhino Won their design contest.

Type/Model: Stone Rhino 2
Tech: Clan / 3060
Config: Biped BattleMech
Rules: Level 3, Standard design

Mass: 100 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: 300 XL Fusion
Walking Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor Type: Standard
Armament:
1 PooPoo Industries Gauss Rifle
2 Hide Stripper XX Gauss Rifles
2 Thunder God Mk VIII ER PPCs
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

Overview:
Of the many surprises the Clans have sprung on us, the Stone Rhino is one of the most remarkable. The original design was considered a grand mistake, and is known to historians as Amaris' folly. The "Behemoth" was the first BattleMech produced by an optimistic project whose objective was to develop a 'Mech capable of withstanding an assault by an entire standard BattleMech company. These machines were to be put into mass production and used to stop General Kerensky from retaking Terra. The prototype is described as a lumbering monstrosity whose leg actuators shut down during its first test run, causing the project to be summarily scrapped.
Apparently the historians were wrong.

Capabilities:
The Stone Rhino weighs in at a massive 100 tons, comparable to the largest 'Mechs ever manufactured. While such machines bring awesome firepower to the battlefield, ultimately, commanders cannot use them effectively because they cannot afford to lose one.
The Stone Rhino features three Gauss cannons and an ER PPC mounted in each torso. The arm-mounted weapons feature retractable shock-absorbing cowls covering the barrels which allow the pilot to use the arms as battering rams without damaging the delicate accumulator assemblies.

Battle History:
A devastating Mech the Stone Rhino, it has a grand history of turning the tides of battle. The more recent history of this fearsome weapon took place on Zotemeer during the trial of refusal between the Wolves and Jade Falcon. A single Clan Wolf Stone Rhino destroyed a full Jade Falcon Talon Trinary. Star Captain Nightengale Kerensky was the pilot.

During one grand melee, prior to the the creation of the OmniMech. A Stone Rhino won, never moving from the spot it stood.

A lone Ghost Bear Stone Rhino blunted an attack by Clan Hell's Horses by destroying the leading Mech, a Rifleman IIC, in a single salvo at long range. Then blasting the leg from a Warhawk in the same manner. After this grand display of marksmanship and destuctive power the rest of the Horse units lost their nerve and decided to assault from a different direction.

Notable 'Mechs & MechWarriors:
Nightengale Kerensky;
Nightengale is the Clan Wolf Warrior who singlehandedly decimated a Jade Falcon Trinary. Nightengale was not known for her tactical brilliance, but her sheer ferocity, and the staying power of the Stone Rhino usually won the day.

John Jorgenssen;
Is the warrior who stood his ground in a grand melee and won. To the amazement of the spectators he then walked off the field for major...armor repairs.

Gail Piazzi:
Gail is the warrior who vaporized the Rifleman IIC and blew the leg off a Warhawk, forcing a retreat of the Hells Horses.

Deployment
A small number of these 'Mechs have been sighted in the Smoke Jaguar Clan. No other Clan appears to field this design, but because it is a venerable design, we suspect that the few existing are widely spread throughout the Clans.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 03 August 2015 - 06:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users