Mwo Vs Mwll.. My Thoughts

85 replies to this topic

#1 HellJumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

Hello

so after a long time i was able to play MWLL with a decent populated server for a couple of hours and based on that i am putting down my thoughts for the both games.

MWO: Fun game with good graphics, fast paced combat, feels more futurisitc due to the way you can get the information about the enemy (targeting them), smaller/ compact maps give more chaotic battles, once you commit yourself to a battle you either come out victorious or go down, the customization is something that i really like even though the meta loadouts rule but yet the customization is great element.

MWLL: gives immersion the game imo with the ability to select mechs, vehicles, air. a much more bigger inventory and bigger map sizes allows you to engage from many sides, flank and fall back if necessary. the earning C-bills to unlock better mechs and stuff is a good concept but can be frustrating if you are unable to dish out much damage or get kills. the bigger size of maps helps different roles to be played but can be less battle oriented at times.

so in conclusion its this.

MWO= Fast, arcady, quick and fun
MWLL: Immersion, simulation, slow and fun

So i have decided to play MWO during weekdays only and MWLL during weekend as servers are populated..

so thats my experience of the two games. whats yours?

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:24 AM

I like MWLL weapons more.

Those missiles are just so satisfying. SRMs and ATMs, specifically. Streaks are pretty devastating as well.

RACs are just fun, as is running 200 Kph with a HLL. Trying to turn that mech around at 200 Kph...not as fun. The mechs are more lumbering, not the Ballerinas MWO has.

The 40-50% efficiencies probably have something to do with that...

MWLL is certainly slower paced, but by no means boring. Some Solaris matches can get pretty heated, no matter the weight class (as you always start with Lights until you can afford heavier things).

On the other hand, sometimes using Ballerinas is what you want, something fast paced and quick. Matches are under 15 minutes in MWO, while MWLL can be an hour. Some people can't invest that time into a single match, and would never pilot the Assault mechs because there is no saved progression; you earn Cbills each match, nothing is saved in MWLL.

Both games do things pretty well. Generally, different things.

Edited by Mcgral18, 03 August 2015 - 12:25 AM.

#3 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:41 AM

i havent played solaris matches so cant say on that.

MWO is for those people who are looking for some quick inand out gameplay. with MWLL you need to put in more time, think more.

the earnings system in MWO comprehend well with the smaller round matches

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:56 AM

Well I ptested MW:LL around one and a half week ago.

It indeed has a lot more immersion caused by the bigger maps on which you really fight for something.
Mechs at full speed turn really slow (or at a vey large radius) and this feels a bit more correct compared to MWO.
Aiming is a bit more complicated becasue terrain affects more shake to the crosshair, while in MWO its very dead on center always and not moving when you rumble over rocks.

Since PGI took over IGP many stuff has improved, maybe one day we can get a gamemode like these in MW:LL, it really feels nice.

#5 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:57 AM

>MWLL: gives immersion

so its servers forbid legging, lol
zelbringen yeah!

#6 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:01 AM

MWLL was fun but the graphics are starting to fall behind. I do love the immersion but as stated I don't have an hour to play one match where I might not even get enough pay out to make it satisfying. The main problem right now is people having to purchase an outdated game just to play another game. I don't have my copy anymore and most places don't carry it now a days.

Edited by Bongo TauKat, 03 August 2015 - 01:05 AM.

#7 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:04 AM

Looks like a fairly fascinating game, but doesn't it require a whole other game to be installed just to use?

It's a mod, correct?

I'd totally give it a whirl if it were standalone, but every indication on their site seems to point to it being simply a massive mod to a pre-existing game.

#8 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:06 AM

That is exactly it. As I said before it also is an outdated game that is hard to find on-line or at least for me it has.

#9 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:29 AM

Hmm, might have to check it out soon then, definitely looked at least worth an install and a weekend's worth of messing with sometime. Thanks for the info.

#10 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

There is a large variety of maps here with more being map estimated about 146 in total with 8 more planned.

#11 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:39 AM

As a stand alone I think it will find a home on the SSD soon.

#12 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:40 AM

View PostBongo TauKat, on 03 August 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

As a stand alone I think it will find a home on the SSD soon.

The SSD ?

#13 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:43 AM

well, the biggest drawback of mwll for me, why i even don't bother to try it, it's that you cannot modify mech layouts there ><

#14 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:47 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 03 August 2015 - 01:43 AM, said:

well, the biggest drawback of mwll for me, why i even don't bother to try it, it's that you cannot modify mech layouts there ><

While it is a nice feature, it is the root of all the balance problems of MWO with mechs now being able too swap assets in and out at free will with out any insight too how that mech was constructed for its reason too be on the field its gonna make balancing MWO very very hard if not impossible. It probably could of been avoided with a kind of certain restriction. The quirk system has kind of shifted it but there are still no draw backs too be putting a weapon in a slot it was never meant too field.

While MWLL never had a mech lab but was 95 % finished and ready for testing It too would of created balance problems. But they were going too go about it in a different manner rather looking into customizing a mech or tank but keeping it in its role. I.E restrictive.

But with the variant system in the game as now nothing is supreme or over powered. It has a rock, paper scissor effect.

Edited by Kh0rn, 03 August 2015 - 01:49 AM.

#15 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:11 AM

View PostKh0rn, on 03 August 2015 - 01:40 AM, said:

The SSD ?

Solid State Drive. His hard drive.

#16 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:14 AM

View PostKodyn, on 03 August 2015 - 02:11 AM, said:

Solid State Drive. His hard drive.

Ah ok brain block there.

#17 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:37 AM

Well in all fairness, he could have meant something entirely different for all you knew, like...Super Saiyan Donkey, or...

Super Star Destroyer! (before SSDs were a thing, this is the only thing that would have come to my mind...I'm a geek....)

#18 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:43 AM

I think the OP's summary is pretty much correct.

If only we could get some of MWLL's leverage of lore and thoughtful gameplayaspects - especially information warfare - into MWO.

#19 NephyrisX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:52 AM

In my opinion, CW should have been an abridged version of MWLL with those large maps, maybe add in AI bots to fill in for the vehicles like creeps in MOBA games.

#20 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:04 AM

OP nails it on the head for me. MWO and MWLL all do really well in their respective areas and tend to fall down where the other is quite good. I was always hoping CW would be a similar version of LL maps and modes, in fact I thought it'd be a no-brainer the way they were touting the idea of a hard-core mode with real tactics.

What we got... uhm... I think skirmish has more tactical flexibility and immersion. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users