- - - - -

Money Making Issues.

29 replies to this topic

#1 basdxz

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:44 AM

It seems to me that unless I get very lucky, 2/3 of the money I get from a match is because I won/lost. And I like the noob I am bough a mech I don't really like for all the money the cadet bonuses give you so getting that extra 8 mill will be tough.

What my point is that from what I can see it is more profitable time wise to always take a light mech, act stupid and die as fast as you can, exit the match and then grab another light mech and do the same again.

I would even get kills at about the same rate of one every 10 or so matches! This game doesn't lag much for me as I get a decent frame rate, input lag and server latency so this Isn't my problem.

I did a little bit of searching on grinding tactics but there don't appear to be any that don't take an investment from the start.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:46 AM

It can be very tough at first. What mech did you buy and why don't you like it?

#3 basdxz

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:05 AM

I got the TBT-5N, here a pic of my current setup http://i.imgur.com/loMWsWh.jpg.

The reason I don't like it is because I saw a lot of builds on http://mwomercs.com/...age__p__4392981 that were priced around what I have spent on my mech+all them upgrades.

I am not sure how I can actually optimize the mech I made to make it better. I feel like after I modified it its almost worse than the default.

#4 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:13 AM

There is a guide out there that lists exactly what actions pay c-bills. If someone could link?

Lots of them are simple money-makers once you learn them, and are as easy as "hey if I do 1 point damage and then scoot, I get the hit and run bonus" etc.

#5 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

set your... uhm settings to play conquest only, it's in the drop-down menu near to the 'play' button
every conquest win by cap it's additional 37000 c-bills and while most of wins are not by cap but still it's a decent c-bills share added to your income, also even losses there have some cap bonus too albeit worser than wins; also capping points in conquest with a fast light or medium while your team fights you can significantly help them to win (but it's not much rewarding in c-bills so it's better to fight at least a bit)

when you get more experience you will do more damage, more kills, more destroyed components etc and so you will earn more c-bills

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 03 August 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

There is a guide out there that lists exactly what actions pay c-bills. If someone could link?

here in the patch notes http://mwomercs.com/...tch-notes-13345

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:23 AM

View Postbasdxz, on 03 August 2015 - 05:05 AM, said:

I got the TBT-5N, here a pic of my current setup http://i.imgur.com/loMWsWh.jpg.

The reason I don't like it is because I saw a lot of builds on http://mwomercs.com/...age__p__4392981 that were priced around what I have spent on my mech+all them upgrades.

I am not sure how I can actually optimize the mech I made to make it better. I feel like after I modified it its almost worse than the default.

Woof. I'm not gonna kid you. That was a bad first choice. It's a poor chassis and LRMs are pretty ineffective. Unless you've spent real money, I'd recommend a new account and more research before you spend your new cadet bonus. If you're married to this account, well, new trial mechs come tomorrow that will make your life easier than that to make more CB.

#7 basdxz

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:27 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 03 August 2015 - 05:23 AM, said:

Woof. I'm not gonna kid you. That was a bad first choice. It's a poor chassis and LRMs are pretty ineffective. Unless you've spent real money, I'd recommend a new account and more research before you spend your new cadet bonus. If you're married to this account, well, new trial mechs come tomorrow that will make your life easier than that to make more CB.

Any mech setup you can recommend a silly noob like me? Homing/Hit Scan is preferred.

#8 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:32 AM

ughm... that thread seems to give some bad advice

if you want an lrm boat, buy hbk-4j and fit it with 2 lrm-10, it's an overquirked for lrm mech

then you buy hbk-4p and hbk-4g to elite the chassis and to try different play styles

here is a guide with sample builds for them http://metamechs.com...ides/hunchback/

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 03 August 2015 - 05:32 AM.

#9 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

My friends started out with Hunchbacks and Jagermechs, both are things I could recommend. If you're willing to grind a little more, maybe fit yourself into a Stalker instead. While I don't normally push people toward meta builds, a meta Stalker is probably going to be one of the more effective things to grind cbills with. Or the easy mode Dragon. Or the Timberwolf. Or the Stormcrow. Or the Firestarter.

Basically, the trenchbucket is not something I would recommend at all. In fact, it's one of only a few chassis I don't own any of (and I own well north of 100 mechs - around 150 I think).

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:38 AM

View Postbasdxz, on 03 August 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

Any mech setup you can recommend a silly noob like me? Homing/Hit Scan is preferred.

My general recommendation to new players is Stormcrows. They're fast, tough and carry a huge payload. They also land in the sweet spot of "heaviest weight in class" (35, 55, 75 and 100) that usually maximizes the class's strengths and, finally, they can run almost anything. If you like homing, I'd start by buying a SCR-D and setting it up like this. It'll rack up a bunch of damage and thus CB and you can use it basically "off the shelf" since it's all SCR-D omnipods. Once you've made money with that, you can buy a SCR-Prime and equip it with the lasers (hitscan) of your choice (mixes of LPLs and MLs are the "best" but a pile of MPLs (5-6) works really well too and is simpler to manage). Once you've gotten two SCRs, you can get a third to unlock elite and master tiers and by that point you ought to know what you like. Good luck and welcome to MWO!

Edited by Terciel1976, 03 August 2015 - 05:39 AM.

#11 basdxz

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 03 August 2015 - 05:38 AM, said:

My general recommendation to new players is Stormcrows. They're fast, tough and carry a huge payload. They also land in the sweet spot of "heaviest weight in class" (35, 55, 75 and 100) that usually maximizes the class's strengths and, finally, they can run almost anything. If you like homing, I'd start by buying a SCR-D and setting it up like this. It'll rack up a bunch of damage and thus CB and you can use it basically "off the shelf" since it's all SCR-D omnipods. Once you've made money with that, you can buy a SCR-Prime and equip it with the lasers (hitscan) of your choice (mixes of LPLs and MLs are the "best" but a pile of MPLs (5-6) works really well too and is simpler to manage). Once you've gotten two SCRs, you can get a third to unlock elite and master tiers and by that point you ought to know what you like. Good luck and welcome to MWO!

Looks good. Last mech game I played was Hawken as a Bruiser (Lock-on Hellfires) so this should work well.
I'm going to go start from scratch and hopefully deal some real damage.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:53 AM

View Postbasdxz, on 03 August 2015 - 05:48 AM, said:

Looks good. Last mech game I played was Hawken as a Bruiser (Lock-on Hellfires) so this should work well.
I'm going to go start from scratch and hopefully deal some real damage.

Damage, yes, but the lack of aiming does make it hard to kill anything larger than a medium. This is a mech derisively called a "SkillCrow" among comp players because its skill floor is low but its utility is somewhat limited* so we tend to eschew it for aimed weapons, which are much more effective in experienced hands. That said, because the game rewards damage numbers, it's very useful for making CB and should be easy enough to handle early on. I recommend grouping your launchers 3/2 because if you fire more than 3 within half a second, you'll pay an extra heat penalty.

*It's dominant in low-tonnage competitive drops but never seen in higher weight ones

#13 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

Stay alive too. That's where the money is at.

#14 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

I think that Treb is still salvageable.
The main money maker for medium mechs are: Kill Assist, Component Destroyed, Protected Medium, Hit And Run.
They are easy to trigger and can be gain multiple time in a match to stack reward.

TBT-5N-BASS v2
TBT-5N-BASS (for reference)

Suggest swap out the TAG for a Large Laser.
The LL give your attack more reach and you don't need to rely on target lock for ranged attack. Even grazing an enemy with the LL is enough to get you Kill Assist reward.

Drop one of the LRM10 to free up weight to carry that LL.

You can also reduce the LRM ammo from 5 ton to 3 ton, it will still give you 54 shots of LRM10 to pepper someone for damage score, Kill Assist and occasional Component Destroyed. Alternatively you can further reduce the ammo to just 2 ton, so you can upgrade to a full ton of AMS ammo and maximum armour.

Install 2 new DHS to manage the heat from the LL.
Keep the current engine, AMS, 3x Medium Laser and upgrades.

The change should only cost you 200,000 cbills for the Large Laser, and some cbills to buy extra amour.

Stay close to your lance (green arrows) to trigger Lance Formation reward. Moving together also spread an enemy's attention across the group, meaning everyone will take less fire from enemy and improve survival, but your group get to focus all firepower on the target.

If you cannot keep up with your lance or they scatter across the map, find the biggest friendly mechs and stick to them. Big assault mechs are nature bullet magnet and will be tanking most of the damage. This will also trigger Protect Proximity and Protected Medium rewards.
Take the opportunity to attack the distracted enemies, your combine firepower with one or more assault mechs should be deadly to the target.
The assault will also thank you for your AMS cover.

Edited by xengk, 03 August 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#15 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

QQMercs has a nice guide explaining how you can make the most money and which actions bring the most C-Bills. The article is a bit outdated but the economy of the game didn't change much in the meanwhile (apart from some TAG/NARC spotting bonus nerfs).

View Postbasdxz, on 03 August 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

What my point is that from what I can see it is more profitable time wise to always take a light mech, act stupid and die as fast as you can, exit the match and then grab another light mech and do the same again.

Beware, rage dropping with this method is considered an exploit by PGI.

Edited by Tahribator, 03 August 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#16 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

The economy in this game just AIN'T what it used to be. In some ways, though, that's okay.

And it's changed a bit over the last year or so, since I used to play regularly.

USED to be, you had to pay to rearm and repair after each match. Folks were getting timid about taking too much damage, because they'd have to pay to fix it. More expensive armor and internals, means more expensive repairs. STD versus XL engine? More expensive to repair the latter. Firing Artemis IV missiles? Yup. There go all your C-Bills.

Of course, the economy got adjusted, and R&R costs came out. And for a while, you could pretty easily pull 80k C-Bills in a loss, and sometimes a couple hundred thousand in a win. Back then, there were no clans, Centurions were viable mechs (the YLW was beast), and light mechs weren't JUST for the suicidal.

And nowadays, I fear I'll never have a 100k C-Bill match again. That's tough, when you're wanting to save up for a new mech. On the other hand, it's all the more incentive to spend real-world $$$ in the game, and PGI DO have to make a living. That's fine.

But yeah, once that cadet bonus dries up, you're hurtin' for cash. Special mechs (champions, heroes, etc.) are a good way to buff your moneymaking. Some of them even don't suck, so there's that. Pay attention, too, to what pays the bills. Spotting bonuses, savior bonuses, etc. There are good ways to earn extra XP and C-Bills without having to be an extra-skilled player. Take a TAG along once in a while, even just in PUG games. Toggle it always-on, and light everything up. Your bank account will be thankful, even if it gets you killed. Remember that airstrikes and artillery cost, either C-Bills or MC, so be sure to use them only when it's gonna earn you the C-Bills (kills, assists). Try to get some damage on EVERY enemy you see--even a single point of damage gets you some assist bonus whenever someone kills that mech.

Good luck, basdxz!

#17 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 03 August 2015 - 05:38 AM, said:

If you like homing, I'd start by buying a SCR-D and setting it up like this.

i personally would put the active probe to the head though, wouldn't put much ammo to arms too, losing arms (just my last game, got 4 kills, 600+ damage, lost both arms in the process and ran out of ammo because i lost 2 tons in arms, afaik arm and leg ammo is used the very last which is bizarre) and side torsos is pretty common, and i would definitely get 1 ton ammo over 1 heat sink
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...307dd916233cf44

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 03 August 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#18 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

Stormcrows are great mech but giving the advice to buy one to someone already complaining about C-bills is just going to frustrate him more i think. a stromcrow is 11m+ C-bills, and that is before changing out omnipods and weapons. Great mechs though.
I would recommend hunchbacks. Coming in at 3m C-bills they are a lot cheaper. Most builds use STD engines, Between the variants you can set up quite a few different loadouts, a lot cheaper to get 3 for skill up purposes and are decent mechs.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:48 AM

I find that 1/4th to 1/9th of my earnings is whether I won or lost.

25,000 is the typical participation pay for win or loss.

I usually earn at minimum 76,000 unless I do absolutely horrible. Average for bad is 100,000. Typical for winning is about 127,000 to 156,000. Highest I've ever actually earned at once (under the current system) in a standard match is 376,957, though this is with premium + a hero mech, along with flamers, LBX, SPLs, and some enemies dumb enough to ignore my 'joke build' as I systematically tore them apart one at a time.

Now this doesn't matter but...
Spoiler

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

View Postbasdxz, on 03 August 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

(On the subject of the most profitable way of playing).

The most profitable way (earnings wise and in terms of personal thrill) is to play a light mech as follows:

Enjoy; wreck them; and whatever you do don't get shot. Never let them see you if you can help it.

Just remember to bring your troll face and "Deal with it" sunglasses as you roll in the doe. Even better -- if there are allies with LRMs; bring a NARC while doing something like this... and just drown in money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users