Win 10 Issues?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:19 AM

hey fellas, has anyone that has upgraded to win 10 had a poor experience in regards:

to very slow reboot times

very sluggish desktop responsiveness

can you even find the control panel?

all around worse performance then win 7?

my pc has no shortage of horsepower and im extremely disssapointed with this "upgrade" am i just missing something that i need to do?

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:33 AM

I haven't seen worse performance on either my desktop or laptop. Both running Haswell-based i7s. MWO does take longer to launch for some reason, but other than that it seems pretty good so far. Could be botched driver install or incompatible driver installed somewhere maybe?

Control panel is easy - right-click on the 'start menu' button.

#3 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

ty, guess ill see how this plays out, my steam chat thing is ultra sluggish like im typing and by the time ive typed the sentence the first few letters are popping up :-/

how about where is "my computer"?

Edited by Summon3r, 07 August 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#4 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

I don't think there's a direct replacement for that. Start > Settings > About might be what you're looking for?

#5 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 07 August 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

ty, guess ill see how this plays out, my steam chat thing is ultra sluggish like im typing and by the time ive typed the sentence the first few letters are popping up :-/

If you mean the location, it's just "This PC" in Explorer. If you want the options to look at information or settings there, right click This PC in that left Explorer section and go to properties. That basically gives you the W7/W8 window, including the Advanced Properties button where you can get to the old menus for virtual memory, crash settings, etc. You can also right click and pin it to the start menu if you want it there.

You can also open Control Panel, go to System and Security and go to System.

#6 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:40 AM

No issues - did a clean install after my Sys was activated and now its running even better.
Aside of a slower launch of MWO everything else is faster.and i gained performance.

Disable "Automatic Driver Updates" (Goggle the how to) and install all these fresh and new Win10 Drivers yourself including Chipset and take a look at your Security Software and other 3rd Party Tools if it is Win10 compatible.

Rightclick the Windows Button to get access to all the more detailed Settings Options you know from Win7.

Win10 should be faster in quite some games (up to 20% in some cases) bcs the new Driver Model which also includes Directx independant improvements works for all games regardless if it is Dx12 or less - Dx12 will give it an additional boost later when Dx12 games will come out.

Multicores (Quadcores or more) should run better...

Edited by Thorqemada, 08 August 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#7 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:00 AM

Thankfully, since IP the AMD driver rollback issue was fixed which was the only issue i ever had testing the non early builds.

Since the upgrade and subsequent fresh install i haven't had a single problem with any program or game that i use.
Under what i term a full loaded (i have everything installed i want) system i boot up in just under 10 seconds.

Edited by DV McKenna, 08 August 2015 - 03:02 AM.

#8 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:15 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 07 August 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

Right click on Start button.

#9 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 08 August 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

Right click on Start button.

Herpderp I forgot about that one.

#10 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:08 AM

yea seems after a day or so of battling and working with things that win10 seems to be quicker in most regards except the initial launching of games seems to be slightly slower which really doesnt matter...

for what ever reason though my reboot time is A LOT longer then it was on win 7

#11 ActiveHate

• Pip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

I been upgrading from win7 home to win 10 and one of the first things i did was to launch MWO. Everyting works so well for me. Win10 seems rock solid and i haven't encountered a single problem so far. Everyting just works smooth and fast.

Edited by Evol LovE, 08 August 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#12 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:21 PM

View PostSummon3r, on 08 August 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

yea seems after a day or so of battling and working with things that win10 seems to be quicker in most regards except the initial launching of games seems to be slightly slower which really doesnt matter...

for what ever reason though my reboot time is A LOT longer then it was on win 7

Go into task manager and the start up tab, it tells you how long your boot time is, and turn off some of the non essential high impact items.

#13 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:51 AM

The only issue I have currently is my system doesn't go to "sleep" anymore... no major issue during the day and a total shut down at night is fine... but still... lol...

Had an issue with my mic not working... then again I'm chalking that one up to "Operator Error". Enable Virtual Audio was unchecked as default during the initial Windows 10 upgrade in my Razer Surround software... didn't notice that it was unchecked until just this morning... checked it and viola... mic works like a charm again...

As for performance, I've noticed a speed up of just about everything I do... Chrome runs better, MWO seems a tad more stable with no issues as well... still getting used to 10 but satisfied with it for now.

#14 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostStickjock, on 11 August 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

Had an issue with my mic not working... then again I'm chalking that one up to "Operator Error". Enable Virtual Audio was unchecked as default during the initial Windows 10 upgrade in my Razer Surround software... didn't notice that it was unchecked until just this morning... checked it and viola... mic works like a charm again...

Theres your problem.

#15 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 11 August 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

Theres your problem.

LOL... Not a problem at all DV... benefit I find is being able to leave my headset plugged in and a click of a mouse button switch between speakers or the headset... granted, I'm on my headset 99% of the time but still...

And it was a minor issue... one that I completely overlooked... silly me...

#16 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

Some people have had the issue with the Runtime Broker taking ~30%+ of their CPU. they found the fix by going to Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions and unselecting "Show me tips about Windows." It immediately fixed the processor usage when they disabled it,

Edited by Shamous13, 14 August 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

windows 10 apparently has a lot of things in the settings you need to turn off

for example windows 10 saps your bandwidth to help other users download windows updates.

theres a bunch of other things you need to turn off too to maximize performance

#18 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

View PostKhobai, on 14 August 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

windows 10 apparently has a lot of things in the settings you need to turn off

for example windows 10 saps your bandwidth to help other users download windows updates.

theres a bunch of other things you need to turn off too to maximize performance

care to share with us non software wizards?

#19 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:46 AM

Well, mixed feelings so far. The game runs much better but there are freezes in CW. My PC is beyond capabilities of MWO to fully use but the game freezes or crashes nontheless. Many reports were sent but still, issues are there. Will this get better? I want to keep using Win10 (not gonna buy Win8 because of MWO) and it does help the game a bit, but Dx11+Win10 is still impossible combination and under DX9 it just freezes from time to time.

Devs, fix this please!

#20 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

windows 7 64 bit running well last year
straight upgrade to 10 (after having dual boot system; wiped 10, and upgraded 7 through updater.exe); working well AND I'm in the fast ring

if you have problems I would say you might try a reset of your system, or its a driver issue (from upgrading old running system, with old drivers)

View PostMordin Ashe, on 13 September 2015 - 02:46 AM, said:

Well, mixed feelings so far. The game runs much better but there are freezes in CW. My PC is beyond capabilities of MWO to fully use but the game freezes or crashes nontheless. Many reports were sent but still, issues are there. Will this get better? I want to keep using Win10 (not gonna buy Win8 because of MWO) and it does help the game a bit, but Dx11+Win10 is still impossible combination and under DX9 it just freezes from time to time.

Devs, fix this please!

runs great for me on both with a small hit on DX 9 performance
only see a bug with my TS3 client causing 30% on CPU
haven't checked for an update yet though

View PostKhobai, on 14 August 2015 - 06:02 PM, said:

there's a bunch of other things you need to turn off too to maximize performance

aside from a few settings when you're on a limited data plan, well, which?

only set hibernation file to 50% of its size, since having it enables faster boot times

View PostSummon3r, on 08 August 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

for whatever reason though my reboot time is A LOT longer then it was on win 7

anything in here?
in Task Manager -> Startup impact
Posted Image

also you're on all SSD's? (no defrag needed)
defragmenting HDD's?

sigh
at the end of the day try this :P
the oatmeal -- fix computer

Posted Image

Spoiler

Edited by Peter2k, 13 September 2015 - 06:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users