A Good Clan Lrm Boat

34 replies to this topic

#21 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:36 AM

My moneyprinter is a Warhawk - B with 2 Large Pulse / 3 ERMedium / 2xlrm15 1 lrm10 / CAP
What you can´t lurm just Laser away ^^

#22 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:39 AM

There are none.

Hope this helped.

#23 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 10 August 2015 - 12:39 AM, said:

There are none.

Hope this helped.

Do you even own a clan mech?z

#24 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:26 AM

This doesn't help, but currently if you are taking an Assault LRM boat, you are crippling your team, so. much. ECM.

#25 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:32 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b070d2cf2fc4e72

MDD, hideous lrm "boat" with highmounted narc. elited with enhanced narc and lrm5 cooldown it is a blast to play.
I personally run it like this or with small or small pulse.

#26 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 10 August 2015 - 01:36 AM, said:

Do you even own a clan mech?z

Yeah I have a Timby and some Stormcrows. Don't put LRMs on your mechs.

#27 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 12 August 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yeah I have a Timby and some Stormcrows. Don't put LRMs on your mechs.

2 clan mechs = all the clan mechs in the world.
Great argument.

I can agree that the timberwolf isn't the best timberwolf for the clans- if ever using LRM's it is only a support weapon and not a main...

buuuuuut stormcrow on the other hand... is one of the best ones (thee best in the mediums for payload) able to easily do 4 LRM 15's (which is equal to that of an awesome!) or an array of LRM (and/or mix E or SRM weapons) with ease.

an LRM boat as fast as most IS mechs 10 tons lighter and packing as much of a punch as ANY common assault mech LRM boat... and with no min range I might add.

you can't say that isn't good by any standard, compared to IS it has a lot of advantages (not enough to be clearly OP but at least enough to be a notable mech) and compaired to clans it does the same as most warhawk LRM boats but with no energy weapons (using the big lrm payload build eg)

Mad dog? you can do a simular build but with 6 LRM 15's... shouldn't bother trying to convince you that is devastating at range.

Warhawk, kitfox, adder, and summoner can do LRM builds quite well (in fact Summoner does LRM/ SRM builds better then any other kind of build for that chassis)

Of course if your a meta fanatic who can't do anything but laser vomit or what ever the flavour of the month is and do not like missiles at all. then it would be better to stay out of a topic like this then simply post "nothing" as that would probably be the same resaults for the same question but IS instead of clan and so on and on...

#28 T R3

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

The Awesome AWS-8R is also one of my favourites but I also recommend you try the Hunchback 4J. (IMO the best) Don't be fooled by only two LRM10. The fire rate on this thing is insane.

My favourite Clan LRM Mech is a an SCR-D with a prime head.(TAG)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...210f21822af5fee

It has great mobility and speed. Don't be too concerned by the lack of backup weapons. Clan LRM will fire closer than IS and if you stay near the team they will protect you against the pesky lights. If you are Pugging try to follow my basic LRM tactical PUG guide.

My Basic LRM Tactical PUG guide:
  • Bring TAG. Tag is crucial at the moment with all the ECM.
  • Stay with team.
  • Try not to blind fire too much. Make sure you can see your enemy and get that TAG locked on.
  • Stay with team.
  • Chain fire. When missiles are hitting the enemy it's harder for them to fire ! Plus you run a little cooler.
  • And finally, STAY with the TEAM....
Have fun..

TR 3

#29 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

I humbly suggest the EBJ. Got a mix of hard points, low profile, good mobility. I run one of mine with 2x c-LRM15, 4x c-ERML, and a c-LPL. Drop the LPL to ERLL or something smaller, and you can step up to LRM20s, maybe even with Artemis. Get the Prime and play with different arm omnipods. Good mech.

#30 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 13 August 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

I humbly suggest the EBJ. Got a mix of hard points, low profile, good mobility. I run one of mine with 2x c-LRM15, 4x c-ERML, and a c-LPL. Drop the LPL to ERLL or something smaller, and you can step up to LRM20s, maybe even with Artemis. Get the Prime and play with different arm omnipods. Good mech.

Agreed, I do also suggest trying quad LRM 10 builds as well as trying the C stock.

#31 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:05 PM

Hey Scandisk.
Great to see the discussions this sort of post creates.
Good, informative posts here.

I've personally not really been one to use the LRMs that much but since getting the Maddog it is something I have started trying out more and if there was ever a relaxing way to play MWO it would be as an LRM boat.
While the Omnipods do allow you to pretty much turn any of the clan mechs into a missile boat of one sort or another, the Maddog is designed for it and that would be my recommendation.

Have your girl friend try out the trial prime and see what she thinks. It does run hot but the default loadout of 2x LRM20s makes for a decent start.
As with all the mechs, she won't really get the potential out of them until she has skilled up the three variants and kitted it out to her liking so she'll need to be patient there and work through the nuances of the chassis.

As the Maddog can get up to 3 missile slots in each torso you do commonly see variants running around with 6x LRM5s. These variants can provide a nice steady stream of missiles onto the target but can be foiled by good AMS protection due to the stream of missiles.
Equipping the mech with Artemis greatly improves the missiles but will cost space and tonnage.
I have run a build with 4x LRM20s in the Maddog and I have to say that was quite good fun. Really felt like you were giving the enemy the flush when you fired. Needed to strip down the armour quite a bit, but hopefully as an LRM boat you don't get into the direct fighting much. No Artemis on that one.
But 80 missiles..... hehehehehe.
Boy the mech rocked about when firing them all at once!
You can actually get 2x LRM20s and 4x LRM15s in the mech without Artemis. I don't think there is any other mech that can pack 100 missiles? Catapult maybe?

It's fun to experiment with the loadouts, so I can only recommend she try a few different builds and have some fun with it but I'd suggest the Maddog as the one to try out.

Edited by 50 50, 13 August 2015 - 07:19 PM.

#32 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 August 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

Agreed, I do also suggest trying quad LRM 10 builds as well as trying the C stock.

You know, I just got a C, and I haven't yet tried it out much. I'm stuck in this mentality, where LRMs and SRMs are torso weapons (or leg, if you believe in the Crusader). Haven't really gotten myself into that mode, but I can actually see it as even MORE useful. LRMs are openers, early weapons. Exhaust your ammo, or lose your arm(s), and you still have energy weapons in the torsos for continued fighting up-close. Nice!

Like this? Disregard the armor distro, and play with the specifics of the loadout. But high-mounted pokers, extra close-in fighting, and basically disposable c-ALRM20s. Not a single-minded LRM boat, and a little spotter-dependent, but definitely a one-mech fire support show...

Edited by TheRAbbi, 13 August 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#33 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:05 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 13 August 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

You know, I just got a C, and I haven't yet tried it out much. I'm stuck in this mentality, where LRMs and SRMs are torso weapons (or leg, if you believe in the Crusader). Haven't really gotten myself into that mode, but I can actually see it as even MORE useful. LRMs are openers, early weapons. Exhaust your ammo, or lose your arm(s), and you still have energy weapons in the torsos for continued fighting up-close. Nice!

Like this? Disregard the armor distro, and play with the specifics of the loadout. But high-mounted pokers, extra close-in fighting, and basically disposable c-ALRM20s. Not a single-minded LRM boat, and a little spotter-dependent, but definitely a one-mech fire support show...

your mentality is EXACTLY that of the mad dog prime.

Use LRM's at affar to get damage on your enemy from an advantage point (let's say it's a mad dog vs atlas, even though the atlas would annihilate the mad dog at 250 meters or under in normal situations, the mad dog is first delivering 40 damage at ranges 1000 meters and inwards as the mad dog slowly moves in as you try to get into range, by the time you are in range he did his damage and you lost your AC 20 and maybe a medium laser or so and you are left with an LRM 20, SRM 6, and 3 medium lasers to fight the mad dog (weeeell... if we are using stock and TT stuff, the med lasers are rear mounted, so only 1 facing forward at this point in time), as you can see, close range fighting at a target with 1 med las and 1 srm 6 is much easier then 2 med las, srm 6, and a LRM 20 at opening combat. thus the duel large pulse and duel med laser mad dog is victorious).This is why the mad dog is called the "Vulture" by the inner sphere pilots due to it's strategy.

But anyway, typically when I have what you call "throw away" LRM's or a support LRM for a non LRM focused build I only use 20's ever if it's just a single 20 and that's it. Otherwise I go with twin 15's or less (or quad 4's on say things like the atlas S or king crab). also dispite the fact you use these as throw aways you got artemis and a lot of ammo for a 'throw' away, so for a build that suits your described build more so to say... here ya go.
EBJ-C
I removed the LRM 20's+ A and a half ton of ammo for 2 LRM 15's which have better fire rate, accuracy, etc and removed 2 large lasers for 2 large pulse lasers for a higher kick and good syncing with the er mediums (personally I would dual ER PPC but I suspect you are not interested to much in the 'sub optimal' builds I got in mind) and gave you 2 machine guns with a half ton of ammo which can be traded out for a targeting computer 1 or 1 more heatsink. It's heat efficiency is good only if you fire the weapons seperately- continious alpha strike will lead to a kinda quick shut down.

Granted this is my take- I personally would like to trade that 1 er medium laser to a SRM 6 but that's just me.

BTW do not say "c-LRM20+A" as "c-ALRM20" as that can be confused with "ATM's" as well as the "advanced-LRM's" which is a non official name for "ELRM's" (or was it ER lrms'... forgot if it was enhanced or extended range...)

#34 Scandisk

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:38 AM

Hello again guys and thanks for all your posts :)

At last, she opted for this TBR-D because it was exactly the right mix between the Warhawk and the Mad Dog.

She finds it perfect for her needs!

#35 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:01 AM

I was going to say "Mad Cat/Timberwolf" (I'm a good DCMS samurai...so "Mad Cat")! It's like the perfect mix between a Catapult and a Cataphract. It can LRM all day long but when the gravy hits the fan it can protect itself up close. They ain't cheap...nothing trashborn is...but hands down the best overall Jill-of-all-trades in the game. There is nothing that a Mad Cat can't do, and do very, very well. Great choice!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users