Don't Step In Front Of The Dire Wolf

30 replies to this topic

#1 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Don't get anywhere near the front of a friendly Dire Wolf's line of fire. Both new and experienced pilots do this.

The DWF is a very large mech and it's easy to see. Sometimes yes the guy isn't aware, but too often this happens because the pilot gets greedy. You want to take that peek but by doing so, you blocked the whale's 84 pt alpha for your what 30, 40 pts? And you risk getting your rear cored out. The whale is very wide and you don't have to be standing exactly in front of it to get shot.

What to do: If you're moving side to side to peek out of cover, look what's on the side you're moving towards. Pay attention to where your friendly Dires are aiming. If it's obviously aiming at something, go around behind it (not too close behind) and use it as cover if necessary (since the whale will get shot at anyway), be patient until it finishes firing, or find another firing lane. You're more mobile than the Dire so you can reposition more easily than the Dire. Good Dire pilots will also make space for themselves, but that space can be easily taken away by a light/med mech trying to take a shot.

Example

#2 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

Example 2 where a guy steps in front and instead tells the DWF to watch friendly fire....lol

#3 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

The frustration in that second video is absolutely palpable.

#4 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

when DWF starts shooting, it takes a couple of seconds, before it unloads the barrels.
so indeed, take care when around him.

#5 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

And something for the wide assaults like DWF and KGC:
Put each arm on a separate firing group. Then you can fire when you're still half covered by the walker-in-fronter.

#6 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostTylerchu, on 18 August 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Put each arm on a separate firing group. Then you can fire when you're still half covered by the walker-in-fronter.

Sometimes you can sometimes you can't, or at least it's not convenient to do so. If someone can do that, great. Myself for example, I don't have 6 mouse buttons so I limit my weapon groups to 4.

#7 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostTylerchu, on 18 August 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

That can work, but not always. Because you need your torso mounted weapons to be separate from your arm mounted weapons. Some of my Direwolf configs would need up to 8, or more groups in order to do the each side has it's own group, set up.

#8 Verenix

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

Anyone who walks in front of any assault for the sole purpose of taking a kill deserves to get their back cored out.

It really isn't fair for the assault to do 1.5k damage with 1 kill and 11 assists....while the medium has 8 kills 300 damage.....

There's Pilot decency here people, let's respect it..?

~Verenix~

#9 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

I think this pretty much applies to any Mech, no matter what you are in. So often a match has been lost because you have your targeting line of fine interrupted by a friendly stepping in front of you, preventing you from firing and having to waste precious seconds to re-position yourself just for a better firing solution. In those seconds, an enemy Mech could sneak up on you, the one you were shooting at gets away or takes out your last remaining weapon not shielded by the friendly.
Wake up, MechWarriors and think before you act. Always keep one eye on your battle map. It is not too difficult to do now, is it?

Ed: Those who do step in front of your line of fire deserve to be shot in the back, I believe.

Edited by Leif Tanner, 18 August 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#10 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

I would say that some Dire Wolf pilot are more to blame as they have complete deregard for team mates.

Yeah... I once was limping around legged on HPG top, not realising that a 'friendly Dire Wolf' had creep up behind when there was no there before.

I see a enemy in front I shoot... And all of sudden a huge alpha creams me from the back... I tried JJ away but too late.. My remaining red leg now cherry red thanks to his alpha, lands on top of him.. TK'ed...

And from my death screen I could see that he didn't even bother divert he shot as well to avoid friendly fire...

Called out to him about the TK...

What does he says ??? Some SCRAP about not standing in front of an assault !?!

#11 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostShinVector, on 18 August 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

I would say that some Dire Wolf pilot are more to blame as they have complete deregard for team mates.

Yeah... I once was limping around legged on HPG top, not realising that a 'friendly Dire Wolf' had creep up behind when there was no there before.

I see a enemy in front I shoot... And all of sudden a huge alpha creams me from the back... I tried JJ away but too late.. My remaining red leg now cherry red thanks to his alpha, lands on top of him.. TK'ed...

And from my death screen I could see that he didn't even bother divert he shot as well to avoid friendly fire...

Called out to him about the TK...

What does he says ??? Some SCRAP about not standing in front of an assault !?!

You mean like this? I'm sure that Firestarter was your alt shin.

#12 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 18 August 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

You mean like this? I'm sure that Firestarter was your alt shin.

Nope that guy had both legs.

#13 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

Fun fact jenners are so short that we're lower than your arm mounted guns are when you're fighting something at range.

#14 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

guilty!

I know if I dash in front of a Dire Whale, King Crab or Cataphract, there is a good chance I will be taking friendly fire - but that is a risk I have to take sometimes.

Now I can't count how many times someone tries to shoot over me - and generally speaking my rear armor is gone before I have even entered the fray.

#15 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:28 PM

Welp, I haven´t been to any armed service or such fancy institutions, but even I as a military zero know that one goes around firepositions, with a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddeeeeeeeee berth behind them, because let´s be honest here, guys ...
Assault are mobile gunemplacements, treat them as such : with utmost respect and enough space to let them fatties manouver .

#16 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

Most times, yes. Try to avoid standing in front of friendly guns in a fire fight.

Sometimes, you just have to get from point A to point B, and if it crosses friendly guns, so be it. But be willing to take your lumps if it comes to it.

Sometimes, people also just aren't aware that you are even there. Sometimes, it's just a matter of trying to get a shot, any shot, off. I've had teammates a couple of times pin me into a corner because of their own fire, preventing me from shooting as well. (And then, need to get from point A to point B reference kicks in.)

I think the advise should be "don't STAND in front of (any friendly mech with weapons), nor knowingly move in and out of their fire lanes". It's typically alright to do a quick cross over their firing lanes (and be willing to take an accidental hit if it comes to it), just don't keep doing it, and don't stand there constantly. (Don't know if I'm saying this in a very good manner.)

#17 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Sage advice that should be common sense... but with an addendum:

Assault drivers should position themselves so as to allow friendly 'Mechs to go around them if they want their firing lane to remain clear. If you're a DWF sitting 100m back from a corner, you're blocking that whole 100m of terrain... and not everyone is going to detour 200m out of their way to go around back of you. Get closer to whatever cover you're using, and fewer people will feel the urge to cross in front of you.

But yeah, folks just need to pay more attention in general. Unless you're going to die if you don't, it generally isn't wise to run across the end that goes boom.

#18 Wayreth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

Also if your teammate is peeking an shooting, please don't get right up on his back. I hate taking an alpha I could have avoided due to a teammate on my backside.

#19 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:05 AM

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 20 August 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

Sage advice that should be common sense... but with an addendum:

Assault drivers should position themselves so as to allow friendly 'Mechs to go around them if they want their firing lane to remain clear. If you're a DWF sitting 100m back from a corner, you're blocking that whole 100m of terrain... and not everyone is going to detour 200m out of their way to go around back of you. Get closer to whatever cover you're using, and fewer people will feel the urge to cross in front of you.

But yeah, folks just need to pay more attention in general. Unless you're going to die if you don't, it generally isn't wise to run across the end that goes boom.

This. There's no priority lanes or private parking in the game. And as long as you are not playing in a group: Everyone wants to have a good game. Having the highest alpha strike might make you theoretically the best candidate for the best spot, but you can not count on that in the game.

So the advice basically goes both ways.

#20 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

General rule: Never step in front of ANY friendly that's firing, or preparing to fire, on an enemy. Whales more than Cheeters, but anyone anyhow.

It may not cost you as much armor to step in front of that trial mech's LB-2X, but then, you cost him doing AT LEAST 2 points damage to an enemy, and might have just cost him the kill on a nearly-cored enemy mech. Or, you might survive getting that K2's gauss round in the back, but maybe that was his last round, too, and now he's a 65-ton meat shield, who JUST missed making the XP for that MASTER slot, and has to drop in that thing ONE MORE TIME to crack it.

Whatever. Even if it doesn't cost anyone anything--no armor, no ammo, no missed shot--it's still bad form. Only step across a friendly's line of fire IF (IFF: If and only if) he's backing off of it, having taken the shot, and clearly isn't going to repeat without cooldown or repositioning. Even then, it's better to KNOW than to ASSUME.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users