30 replies to this topic

#21 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

This point can be expanded upon immensely.

First, it's not just Dires. You should do your very best to avoid cutting off ANY teammate. Key an eye on the minimap, and think about where your buddies are shooting. Conversely, if you find yourself with a friendly in YOUR line if fire you need to quickly adjust. Swing yourself up as fast as you can so you miss instead of jut dumping fire into his back. An 80 dmg alpha into the sky is much much better than all that dmg hitting a teammate.

This also goes for movement in general. Don't cut people off and avoid getting bunched up as it severe
. restricts the teams ability to maneuver. Additionally, do not stand directly behind friendlies. Especially in narrow spaces, it is very bad play to block your fellow mechwarriors in. I've died a few times myself because somebody stood right behind me and prevented me from backing up as I took alpha after alpha to the face.

In short, think about your movements and don't body-block your teammates.

#22 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:11 PM

Yes absolutely. It applies to stepping in front of anything. I just used the Dire as an extreme example because it's easy to see, it's very very wide, and the hurt you/the team gets if you step in front is immense.

#23 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:01 AM

Kinda goes along with this...

IF you notice a teammate lining up a shot, but you have to go past that teammate, how 'bout going, y'know, BEHIND him (with respect to his direction of fire)? It's bad enough to get hit with team damage because your teammate wasn't paying attention. It's worse yet, if that was a kill shot and he ****-blocked you. Worse yet, if he wasn't even paying attention to the same target, and it returned fire on YOU.

Nah, hasn't actually HAPPENED to me or anything. Why, if it had, then this would sound really salty. REALLY salty, indeed...

(You just can't teach muzzle awareness and discipline over the internet...)

#24 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:48 AM

Im sorry to have to politely disagree with your examples. I agree with your sentiments and that it is frustrating.. however your placement is far from optimal. You yourself are forcing your teammates to step infront of your firing line most of the time. That is partially due to the nature of the weapons you and your team are using. You are using long range weapons, your teammates stepping infront of you are using short or medium range weapons.

This means that you are effectively wanting to exclusively block off most movement routes for a large part of the fighting arena where your teammates are stationed. I see this very often on Terra Therma at the entrances to the Central ring. You get an assualt standing on the left side of a path and shooting to the right across the path, then they cry and rant becasue teammates block their lines of fire while they move past him/her onto the actual ring path.

To fix this, you should stop hanging behind your teammates and move closer to he cover you are shooting around. This will effectively not allow teammates to walk past you infront as the cover is completely closing off this path and only leaving areas behind you for movement.

P. S. For the gist of your message, you will still have the occasional "special" teammate who still stands infront of you even with better positioning or directly behind you when you want to back up and I hope they do learn to play smarter in regards to rheir own back armour (and your Cbill earnings).

#25 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 21 September 2015 - 01:48 AM, said:

Im sorry to have to politely disagree with your examples. I agree with your sentiments and that it is frustrating.. however your placement is far from optimal. You yourself are forcing your teammates to step infront of your firing line most of the time.

No one's forced to step in front. Lots of other places to move around to if you're a Centurion or Battlemaster.

If you played this map before you should know there's plenty of space to go behind where I was standing.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 21 September 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#26 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 21 September 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

No one's forced to step in front. Lots of other places to move around to if you're a Centurion or Battlemaster.

His point was, if there is a narrow pass, and the only way through is that pass or a 10 minute (exaggeration) jaunt around to the next pass to get by, then people may have to walk in front of your guns due to your placement, unto which the shooter should find a better placement. (Hence he also cited Terra Therma as an example location for this. The tunnel in Crimson Straight also comes to mind, as well as the saddle in same said map.)

It is as much were you (the shooter) place your firing lanes, as it is where your teammates decide to move. Most times, they should be able to move around you. Sometimes they wont be able to. Other times, the shooter themselves are "hogging" all the movement lanes with their firing lanes, and well, people have to move.

#27 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

Last night on HPG manifold, I accidentally TKed someone with two Gauss slugs in the back with my Dire Wolf. I was on one of the ramps that lead to the long straight away, that take you to the top of the middle section. Im there by myself at the top going up and down, up and down trading fire and going to cover. Im zoomed in while doing this. I move up to take another shot, charge my gauss riffle, hear the tone, and as im letting go a Adder (I think) strides into view like literally in front of my face.

Down goes Frazier.

I felt bad but was pissed at the same time. I take pride in checking my fire and do my best not to shoot teammates, so I was like "Dude you walked right into my LOS". And he starts yelling at me that he was there first and the DIREWHALE needs to watch his fire and blah blah blah. I think what made it worse for my vision was the zooming in that i was doing, so I just did not see him till it was too late.

So please be away of your surroundings when pushing up. Especially when crossing in close proximity. And yes, those of us firing from the back need to be careful of those pushing up as well. But if you cut off someone like understand you might get whacked by accident in the back.

#28 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

Just had a case in my Arctic Cheetah on HPG where I was hunting down a Jeagermech (was using range). Eventually, the fight moved towards the underground ramps, and I had a teammate burst forwards from behind the ramps (where I could not see) and face hugged my opponent. Then, as I shot a single CERLL (and then quickly diverted as fast as I could away), I hear on the comms about "some idiot is shooting me in the back" and how they "killed me, thanks".

A. Don't walk into someone else's line of fire if you can help it. (Okay, neither one of us could see the other, but he should have seen my LL beams. Maybe not. I'll give here.)

B. If you don't want to be hit with FF, don't face hug! As soon as you do, everyone behind you can't shoot without risking shooting you too. Also, the IFF indicators tend to flip flop, which means their red indicator can overlay your blue one. Making it look like only an enemy is there.

C. (In particular to this case) Don't face hug a Jeagermech with AC20s and Sm lasers... (which was why I was gaining distance.) Also, he was not alone as there was a CUAC20 and CERSL Timberwolf (it was strange to see two such similar builds together) behind him a very short distance away. (I can only target one person at a time!) (PS: My single CERLL I shot did not kill you. I dealt 5-10 damage at best splash across your back as I diverted my shot as soon as I realized you where there.)

AKA: Friendly fire will happen. It is up to the shooter to try to reduce it when possible, and up to the mover (teammate) to try and avoid placing themselves in a situation that could cause FF. Working together will provide the best results here.

Edited by Tesunie, 21 September 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#29 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 21 September 2015 - 01:48 AM, said:

Im sorry to have to politely disagree with your examples. I agree with your sentiments and that it is frustrating.. however your placement is far from optimal. You yourself are forcing your teammates to step infront of your firing line most of the time. That is partially due to the nature of the weapons you and your team are using. You are using long range weapons, your teammates stepping infront of you are using short or medium range weapons.

This means that you are effectively wanting to exclusively block off most movement routes for a large part of the fighting arena where your teammates are stationed. I see this very often on Terra Therma at the entrances to the Central ring. You get an assualt standing on the left side of a path and shooting to the right across the path, then they cry and rant becasue teammates block their lines of fire while they move past him/her onto the actual ring path.

To fix this, you should stop hanging behind your teammates and move closer to he cover you are shooting around. This will effectively not allow teammates to walk past you infront as the cover is completely closing off this path and only leaving areas behind you for movement.

P. S. For the gist of your message, you will still have the occasional "special" teammate who still stands infront of you even with better positioning or directly behind you when you want to back up and I hope they do learn to play smarter in regards to rheir own back armour (and your Cbill earnings).

Have we met? Sounds like we most certainly have not...

#30 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

Step in front of Whale.

Get Workman's Comp!

Win!!!

#31 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

Don't step in front of any 100 tonne assault. The cookies are not worth it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users