6 replies to this topic

#1 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, England

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:26 AM

Hi i have recently started piloting clan mech's particularly Nova's and keep seeing the option to add in lower arm and Hand actuators. I have not seen any discussion on actuators before so is their a benefit to adding them in or is it just cosmetic.

#2 Scandisk

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

Hello! Having lower arm actuators is good, because you can aim better at faster mechs :P

#3 Hanks 427

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:36 AM

The lowerarm actuators allow you to twist your arms left and right separate from the torso. The hand actuators are just for show.

#4 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

Thank you both i figured the lower arm actuator would be useful but couldn't find any where it said.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostFeywald, on 15 August 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

Thank you both i figured the lower arm actuator would be useful but couldn't find any where it said.

There is a tangible use for hand actuators in MWO as a "crit-soak." But that is all. Damage delivered to your arm when the armor is gone has a chance of damaging weapons or ammo or heatsinks or actuators. At the moment actuator damage has absolutely no function or meaning, so you could have all actuators destroyed and be fine. They do, however, soak up the damage and prevent other things from receiving the damage.

It's all dice rolls, though, so it's just to decrease the chances of other things taking those crit-slot damages. Sometimes it helps with high ammo builds or high heatsink builds. But that's about it.

#6 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

Good to know, ty Koniving

#7 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

Having a single lower arm actuator gives your arms 10° lateral (side to side) movement. Having both grants whatever the mech's stats say it should have. The Warhawk and Dire Wolf are very restricted in this, having a limited selection of arms that can even mount a lower arm actuator (the Warhawk B and C right arms, and the Dire Wolf A right arm).

EDIT: Note also that mounting any kind of autocannon, Gauss, or PPC in an arm prevents a lower arm actuator from being mounted in said arm.

Edited by Escef, 16 August 2015 - 05:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users