ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

Mech Art, sketch......
Don't have access to a scanner, ATM, so something of a placeholder.......
Posted Image

My custom Mauler, in anticipation of the upcoming release. FedCom Civil War Era, with increased armor, armed with 2x RAC/5 ( 1 in each arm, 3 tons of ammo each), 2x PPC (1 per torso) and 2x SSRM6 (1 ton of reloads, each) and finally, Triple Strength Myomers.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 29 August 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#44 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

Gd Bishop..... that's fantastic.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostLordred, on 29 August 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

Gd Bishop..... that's fantastic.

Thx man, means a lot.

#46 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

I wish I could draw on even half your level, always been more of a technical person.

#47 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHiding from the Maskirovka

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

Bishop it's good stuff, just what this contest is looking for aaaaaaand it's also DQ'd because you posted it to the MWO site on a different thread before posting it here. Sorry man =/ If you got anything else that fits in the rules, feel free to post that!

Rule 2/2a

http://mwomercs.com/...sh-rulesprizes/

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostBill Bullet, on 29 August 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

Bishop it's good stuff, just what this contest is looking for aaaaaaand it's also DQ'd because you posted it to the MWO site on a different thread before posting it here. Sorry man =/ If you got anything else that fits in the rules, feel free to post that!

Rule 2/2a

http://mwomercs.com/...sh-rulesprizes/

eh., missed that, oops. No biggy, never really in it to win it, anyhow.

#49 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 August 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

eh., missed that, oops. No biggy, never really in it to win it, anyhow.

Okay community! Lets make Bishop Steiner's epic drawing fan favorite, because it is just that amazingly awesome.

Really nice work.

#50 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:46 AM

Best Screenshot :) (It's for my giveaway!!! ;) )

Posted Image

Edited by Scout Derek, 31 August 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#51 Jason Zero

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

Mech Art

Posted Image

"A Toast to the Fallen"

(be sure to click the image to see it full size!)

As the battle ends, a Mechwarrior raises a toast in tribute to his fallen friends and foes on the battlefield.

Medium
Digitally Painted using Adobe Photoshop, and a Wacom Intuos Pen Tablet.

Background
My idea for this one came from thinking about all the sci-fi art I've seen, and trying to do something a little different. So I decided that instead of doing an active battle scene, I would try to capture the feeling of the aftermath, after the battle has ended and the survivors take stock of what has happened and what is left. I had also seen the image below a while back, and had wanted to do something inspired by it.

Posted Image

To start, I had to decide what mech to use, settling finally on a Catapult K2 because of its similarity in shape to the cockpit above and it fitting the pose I wanted the pilot to have in the scene.

So I grabbed a screenshot of my K2 in basic black from the mechlab and started working from there. When drawing things with hard edges I tend to start working with shapes, the hard edges make it cleaner and easier to lay in textures and effects. I built my own version of the K2 (with a lot of artistic license!) first to get the shape right for the composition coming together in my head.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also wanted to do something on the mech reminiscent of the WWII pin up girls found on a lot of the planes. I played around with a couple of different ideas, when I saw a reference to the Grumman Hellcat from WWII. Hellcat...Catapult...I've got it! Gotta do a sexy devil girl pinup and call the mech the Hellcat! Now I had the whole color scheme and concept starting to come together for the "personality" of the mech and the rest of the piece.

I love working lots and lots of detail into my pieces, and this project was no different. I usually create these little complex details as separate pieces, sometimes the side projects seem to take on a life of their own with me spending more time of them than the original. This is the Pin-up. I plan to go back to this piece and make her a more detailed and finished standalone piece.

Posted Image

Using the red in the pinup image and the Hellcat idea as inspiration, I added the tiger stripe camo and the tiger face on the nose. This was also a tribute to the shark mouths often seen on WWII planes. The tiger was another side project, that I then brought back into the main piece for positioning and lighting.

Posted Image

It varies a lot project to project when I start thinking about the scene. In this case, I knew from the start I wanted to use the sunset. The "dying of the light" just seemed to fit with the colors and the mood. The basis of the background scene is the photo below that I took in Mesa Verde, I then used this as a guide to build the scene.

Posted Image

After that, it was a matter of a lot of hours of shading and detailing, building up the piece layer by layer.

Hope you all like the final piece, and If you have any questions about it or the techniques I used please feel free to ask!

Thanks, Jason Zero

Edited by Jason Zero, 30 August 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#52 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostJason Zero, on 30 August 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

Mech Art

Thanks for the cool insights!

One question though: Why didn't you just pull the K2-Model out of the game and used that?

#53 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

View PostJason Zero, on 30 August 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

Mech Art

Posted Image

"A Toast to the Fallen"

As the battle ends, a Mechwarrior raises a toast in tribute to his fallen friends and foes on the battlefield.

(be sure to click the image to see it full size!)

Medium
Digitally Painted using Adobe Photoshop, and a Wacom Intuos Pen Tablet.

Background
My idea for this one came from thinking about all the sci-fi art I've seen, and trying to do something a little different. So I decided that instead of doing an active battle scene, I would try to capture the feeling of the aftermath, after the battle has ended and the survivors take stock of what has happened and what is left. I had also seen this image a while back, and had wanted to do something inspired by it.

Posted Image

To start, I had to decide what mech to use, settling finally on a Catapult K2 because of its similarity in shape to the cockpit above and it fitting the pose I wanted the pilot to have in the scene.

So I grabbed a screen shoot of my K2 in basic black from the mechlab and started working from there. When drawing things with hard edges I tend to start working with shapes, the hard edges make it cleaner and easier to lay in textures and effects. I built my own version of the K2 (with a lot of artistic license!) first to get the shape right for the composition coming together in my head.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also wanted to do something on the mech reminiscent of the WWII pin up girls found on a lot of the planes. I played around with a couple of different ideas, when I saw a reference to the Grumman Hellcat from WWII. Hellcat...Catapult...I've got it! Gotta do a sexy devil girl pinup and call the mech the Hellcat! Now I had the whole color scheme and concept starting to come together for the "personality" of the mech and the rest of the piece.

I love working in lots and lots of detail to my pieces, and this project was no different. I usually create these little complex details as separate pieces, sometimes the side projects seem to take on a life of their own with me spending more time of them then the original. This is the Pin-up. I plan to go back to this piece and make her a more detailed and finished stand a lone piece.

Posted Image

Using this red, the Hellcat theme naturally inspired the use of the tiger strip camo, and the tiger face on the nose, again a tribute to the shark mouths often seen on WWII planes. The tiger was a another side project, that I then brought back into the main piece for positioning and lighting.

Posted Image

I varies a lot project to project when I start thinking about the scene, in this case, I knew from the start I wanted to use the sunset. The "dying of the light" just seemed to fit, with the colors and the mood. The basis of the background scene is this shot I took in Mesa Verde, I used this as a guide to build the scene.

Posted Image

After that, it was a matter of a lot of hours of shading and detailing, building up the piece layer by layer. Sorry I don't have a lot of in progress shots, once I get going I tend to forget to take screen shots until get close to the end.

Hope you all like the final piece, and If you have any questions about it or the techniques I used please feel free to ask.

Absolutely amazing Jason! Love the image and can't click "Like" enough!!!

#54 Jason Zero

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostIqfish, on 30 August 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Thanks for the cool insights!

One question though: Why didn't you just pull the K2-Model out of the game and used that?

Well, honestly, my poor brain cells are still trying to wrap themselves around blender and I am just now learning how to do that. Always been more of a 2D guy, so I just recently started wading into the 3D pool.

I also tend to like to build my own things even when the resources are available . I find sketching and creating things myself leads to all kinds of creative ideas and inspiration.

#55 Mattiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 400 posts
  • LocationAthenry

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

Best Screencap

Posted Image

"Wrong Move"

Took this shot during a very tense duel between a few of my merc mates. The shooter's touch blurry, but I think that helps convey the motion of the fight.

Edited by Mattiator, 30 August 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#56 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:21 PM

View PostIqfish, on 24 August 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

Contest entry for Mech Art/Screenshot:

Posted Image

I am looking into making a video for this, since the entries are pretty sparse in that category :)

Now I know how an Awesome fart looks like...

(Sorry, just got into work and didn't have my coffee yet) :ph34r:

#57 Todo Sandybanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 269 posts
  • Location....

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:09 AM

dang that sucks bishop's art is DQ'd that is the best thing so far. I give him 15/10.

Edited by Todo Ringman, 31 August 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#58 Todo Sandybanks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 269 posts
  • Location....

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:51 AM

One last entry, this is for mech art, a drawing i made of the Valiant mech.
Posted Image

#59 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostLordred, on 20 August 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

hurm, that looks awfully familiar

http://lordred289.de...ewolf-512186769 Should always credit sources. fyi

View PostIqfish, on 24 August 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

Yup. I am VERY ALLERGIC to this happening and it already happened in this thread, someone stealing Lordreds screenshot. The main thread clearly states:

2) All submissions must be ORIGINAL CONTENT. Fresh, shiny, and chrome! That's what we wanna see in this contest! So while your old stuff may be great, you cannot repost it for this contest. Likewise, no plagiarism or stealing another artist's stuff and passing it off as your own!

So this is a clear disqualification in my eyes, not to mention the amount of brassiness in just taking other peoples stuff.

The Golden Dire: He did an awfully lot of modifcation for it not to be his own creation.
The simple text over image one does not feel transformative enough, IMO.

http://www.howdesign...s-infringement/

http://www.onextrapi...ld-be-aware-of/

Edited by TygerLily, 31 August 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#60 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

Best Screenshot:

A Gargoyle takes a knee after succumbing to the weight of his foes.

As always, full 4k can be downloaded from my DA.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users