Streak Boats

SSRM guide gameplay

19 replies to this topic

#1 Naykon

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

I picked up an SCR-D during the sale last week and have been running streaks with decent success. I find myself a bit unsure how to improve from the 300-400 damage I'm doing. I know with 5 SSRMs, 6t of ammo, and a CAP, there's a lot more than can be done. Beyond basic stick with the team, don't go face first in a medium, are there any positioning tips or getting/keeping target lock tips you all could share?

Here's the build I'm using. I've only unlocked Heat Containment, Hard Brake and Kinetic Burst so far.

Thanks!

#2 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

Ta daaa!

Question is this: is it worth the loss of the XP bonus to you?

#3 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

Nikon you are very quickly going to become bored with streak builds that take little effort to use. Customization is one of the great things about mechwarrior, take advantage and play ballistics and energy as well. Killing an opponent by accurate targeting of direct fire weapons is a skill you will need in this game.

#4 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

I see streak boats playing a very specific role on the battlefield. And that is as a Light hunter/Assault protector (which usually become one as the lights harass the assaults). That wont increase your damage output though. I think its mostly about surviving until the end in one of those then gettin the points from component destruction and kills when the enemy is worn down and the spread damage from the streaks becomes more effective.

#5 Naykon

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostTorezu, on 19 August 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

Ta daaa!

XP bonus I am not super worried about. I'll have to buy the head and put a TAG in it tonight. Thanks!

View PostRyokens leap, on 19 August 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

Nikon you are very quickly going to become bored with streak builds that take little effort to use. Customization is one of the great things about mechwarrior, take advantage and play ballistics and energy as well. Killing an opponent by accurate targeting of direct fire weapons is a skill you will need in this game.

I usually play laser boats, so this was a change of pace for me. I had debated doing SRMs instead of SSRMs and I still might try those too. That is yet to be decided though.

View PostAdamBaines, on 19 August 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

I see streak boats playing a very specific role on the battlefield. And that is as a Light hunter/Assault protector (which usually become one as the lights harass the assaults). That wont increase your damage output though. I think its mostly about surviving until the end in one of those then gettin the points from component destruction and kills when the enemy is worn down and the spread damage from the streaks becomes more effective.

Yea, I understand this role and see your point. I guess I'll have to work on choosing my targets more carefully and seeing how things play out toward the end stages of a match.

#6 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

View PostNaykon, on 19 August 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

XP bonus I am not super worried about. I'll have to buy the head and put a TAG in it tonight. Thanks!

Go, Light-Mech-Smasher, and get Component Destruction bonuses.

One more thing to think about. You have 30 launch tubes, and 600 missiles. That gives you 20 full salvos (chain-fire optional if you can maintain lock), and an absolute maximum damage of 1200, assuming you don't either miss or lose ammo to explosions. Make shots count.

#7 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostNaykon, on 19 August 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

take armor from the head, you have an almost unused tonne of podspace, use it for 7th tonne of ammo (imo preferably) or for a tag

if you don't use tag, put the active probe to the head

don't have more than 1 tonne of ammo per arm, arms are torn off pretty often

set 3 launchers on 1 button and 2 on another, shoot them with 0.5 sec pause to avoid the ghost heat

View PostTorezu, on 19 August 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

Ta daaa!

tag often matters less than 7th tonne of ammo

don't take armor from legs on scr -_-

#8 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 19 August 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

tag often matters less than 7th tonne of ammo

don't take armor from legs on scr -_-

Tag/ammo balance noted. Yeah, I haven't used Clan mechs except trials yet. Why wouldn't you remove a small amount of armor from the legs? Double gauss to the face will kill you if you pull 6 armor from the head. Granted, odds of that are fairly low.

Edited by Torezu, 20 August 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:39 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7eb707e328ec0a9

try this or

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8cf0b140f98c443

this (just don't try to lolpha with the 2nd. one)

Edited by LOADED, 20 August 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#10 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

Keep in mind that if you want to maximize your score (at some cost to helping the team win) you should hang back for the first half of the battle until all of the big gunboats have torn holes in each other and then dance around and pick up the kills and the component destruction. It's not the "nicest" way to play, but it will generate a big point total. If you use all of your ammo up early on, all you end up doing is scouring the top layer of armor off evenly, and will get few kills or points.

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 19 August 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

They are breathtakingly (and maddeningly, if you're an IS player that bumps into one) effective against Lights. Two alphas, even with the damage spreading out, and there's a good chance your torso or leg is gone (either of which is death for an IS Light). And at 100kph, you can't outrun it fast enough to get away - it's an autokill.

I'd guess the trick to upping your damage is replace your right arm with the SCR-B's arm and dump in SPLs. Then you can still lay in with pinpoint damage.

#12 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

Build like this imo:

SCR-D

Ammo is used in a specific order, which is

1) Center Torso
2) Right Torso
3) Left Torso
4) Right Arm
5) Left Arm
6) Right Leg
7) Left leg
8) Head

That means that since all torso ammo is used before arm ammo, you want to put as little as possible in the arms, because they tend to get blown off later in the fight, and at that point all your remaining ammo is in the arms. There is an argument for putting the CAP in the RT or LT and a ton of ammo in the head, because its used last and will therefore be available regardless of which arm or torso is destroyed.

#13 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 20 August 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

Build like this imo:

SCR-D

Ammo is used in a specific order, which is

1) Center Torso
2) Right Torso
3) Left Torso
4) Right Arm
5) Left Arm
6) Right Leg
7) Left leg
8) Head

That means that since all torso ammo is used before arm ammo, you want to put as little as possible in the arms, because they tend to get blown off later in the fight, and at that point all your remaining ammo is in the arms. There is an argument for putting the CAP in the RT or LT and a ton of ammo in the head, because its used last and will therefore be available regardless of which arm or torso is destroyed.

i think head goes first?

#14 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostMercworks, on 20 August 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Keep in mind that if you want to maximize your score (at some cost to helping the team win) you should hang back for the first half of the battle until all of the big gunboats have torn holes in each other and then dance around and pick up the kills and the component destruction. It's not the "nicest" way to play, but it will generate a big point total. If you use all of your ammo up early on, all you end up doing is scouring the top layer of armor off evenly, and will get few kills or points.

This is literally the most hateful and cheap tactic you could possibly use.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, will hate you for it. I hunt skill-boats whenever I'm in a light, but I have more hatred for people on my team waiting for everyone else to die then coming back in their fresh SCR and vulturing two or three kills with their auto-aim epeen enhancers. THEN they say they can't carry the entire team. smh.

#15 Jalthibuster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

Not a Streak Crow but if you get bored of it what might happen soon, this is my favorite -D build. Having lots of fun and success with it. Just stay with the fatties, lurm the enemies or annoy/surpress them with the laser if you can't get a lock until the brawl starts. Drive off/wreck incoming lights with the ASRMs (needs some practice but feels really good to see them implode). I tend to be close to running out of ammo or even be it at the end off the round but it really works great for me.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...979dfc8a20efaa6

Edited by Jalthibuster, 20 August 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#16 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostTorezu, on 20 August 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Why wouldn't you remove a small amount of armor from the legs? Double gauss to the face will kill you if you pull 6 armor from the head. Granted, odds of that are fairly low.

to get a double gauss hit to the head on a crow is extremely rare, i played thousands games on a crow and didn't see it a single time, meantime everybody knows that crow spreads damage between side torsos, ct, arms and even back extremely well and quite a few people aim for your legs instead, your legs cannot spread damage and are a very long and good target

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 20 August 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

There is an argument for putting the CAP in the RT or LT and a ton of ammo in the head, because its used last and will therefore be available regardless of which arm or torso is destroyed.

yeah, but if you lose the side torso with the cap, then a single arctic cheater will make you completely useless; i'm also afraid of overheating with ammo in the head

View PostDawnstealer, on 20 August 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

They are breathtakingly (and maddeningly, if you're an IS player that bumps into one) effective against Lights. Two alphas, even with the damage spreading out, and there's a good chance your torso or leg is gone (either of which is death for an IS Light). And at 100kph, you can't outrun it fast enough to get away - it's an autokill.

I'd guess the trick to upping your damage is replace your right arm with the SCR-B's arm and dump in SPLs. Then you can still lay in with pinpoint damage.

not really, good light pilots can flee/avoid them; use the covers, use jump jets to jump on a highground (but never simply in the air), hide your back with your arm

for picking lasers with streaks you should realize that the power of streaks it's their dps, lasers significantly hurt that dps, even a single med laser does

View PostLunatech, on 20 August 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

This is literally the most hateful and cheap tactic you could possibly use.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, will hate you for it. I hunt skill-boats whenever I'm in a light, but I have more hatred for people on my team waiting for everyone else to die then coming back in their fresh SCR and vulturing two or three kills with their auto-aim epeen enhancers. THEN they say they can't carry the entire team. smh.

it actually depends

if you literally wait till your team die or is badly damaged so you can go for a hunt, it is not only rage inducing, it's also silly, the games are pretty snowbally, and usually, if you try to do something like this, more often than not you will be quickly focused down by multiple enemies and achieve nothing

on the other hand, streakboats, huggins, splatboats and generally many brawlers, especially light/med ones, are basically forced to wait for a while till longer range mechs fight... especially with a streakboat, being unable to shoot immediately, you want to have a solid lock when you peek (and the target nearer than 360 meters), so you have to have somebody on your team fighting ahead of you and locking; then, your weapon works better vs damaged mechs, it's another reason to choose damaged ones as your primary target; a streakboat on conquest should go first during capping, but then you have to wait for some time, otherwise you simply die for nothing; but you shouldn't wait too long too, you should find the right moment to appear, that's the skill which a streakboat needs to be effective

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 20 August 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#17 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostTorezu, on 20 August 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Tag/ammo balance noted. Yeah, I haven't used Clan mechs except trials yet. Why wouldn't you remove a small amount of armor from the legs? Double gauss to the face will kill you if you pull 6 armor from the head. Granted, odds of that are fairly low.

because smart people leg storm crows rather than deal with their stupid hit boxes.

#18 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

View PostLOADED, on 20 August 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

i think head goes first?

It used to, they changed it im pretty certain

#19 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 20 August 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

yeah, but if you lose the side torso with the cap, then a single arctic cheater will make you completely useless; i'm also afraid of overheating with ammo in the head

Thats true, and why on balance i put the CAP in the head - however worrying about ammo explosions from overheating in the head is foolish - overheat damage will kill your head component long, long before it crits ammo in there. In all honesty ammo explosions in general are such a rarity as to be not worth considering when building mechs. If you need ammo, you need ammo and if it explodes (which it almost certainly wont) you're gonna lose a lot of mech regardless of where it is. Its more important to worry about still having ammo regardless of which components you lose first.
TBH overheat damage shouldnt be able to hit the head imo, its too RNG for my liking. Some games you can mildly overheat on override several times, other times you go to 105% once and your head instantly explodes. its very irritating.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 21 August 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

I'd skip TAG and go for an ERML, it'll give you something to shoot with if/when your missiles run out.

Install lower arm actuators on both arms and turn arm-lock off. Your torso missiles will home just fine when firing at extreme angles.

Hit your opponent from the side, especially if he has a side that already has significant damage. Streaks target body locations chosen at random and fly in as straight a line as possible for them. If you hit your opponent from the side than the missiles targeting the far side of the enemy mech will plow into the near side and detonate. Note that it is possible to get friendly fire kills with Streaks because of how they target and fly, I've been on both sides of a Streak team kill and it is not a happy occasion for anyone involved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users