Kicking Trees Online

28 replies to this topic

#1 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

adds nothing to the immersion of the game, same goes to the annoying sound every few meters, IMHO. Same like the fast day cycle on river city and all other visual limitations PGI adds to the game, like there is someone diabolic in her office love to badger us.

Is see MWO as a FPS game with mechs, not a simulation with role play character. It's actual common to aim and shoot at red triangles in that darkness/Forrest/smog you cant barely see through. I now start to cheer when Alpine pops up.

#2 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostMainhunter, on 19 August 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

adds nothing to the immersion of the game, same goes to the annoying sound every few meters, IMHO. Same like the fast day cycle on river city and all other visual limitations PGI adds to the game, like there is someone diabolic in her office love to badger us.

Is see MWO as a FPS game with mechs, not a simulation with role play character. It's actual common to aim and shoot at red triangles in that darkness/Forrest/smog you cant barely see through. I now start to cheer when Alpine pops up.
Well... Having a few less trees to kick around would be ok, oh and at some point can we laser those f'ers to the ground?

A common tactic was to set fire to woods and grass to setup a smoke screen... I think that'd be 'neat', even though I HATE not being able to see...

#3 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

What!? A dynamic environment adds nothing to the immersion of the game? I strongly disagree. Kicking over trees is great fun and definitely adds to the feeling that you're in a big, stompy robot.

To your later point: It can be annoying being blinded by a snowstorm in Frozen City (something tells me they'll fix that when they redo that map) or not being able to see a 'mech across the water at River City, but everyone is dealing with the same thing and it adds, again, to the immersion. I guess we could all just line up on a flat, grassy plain at high noon and start shooting but that sounds like a pretty boring game...

#4 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:50 AM

Wow.... SO! YES! I would like to be able to shoot the trees down as easily as I can stomp them to the ground.

That said, we've been asking for YEARS for destructible environments. Now that it's here, there HAD to be someone to whine about them. I hate humanity.....

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

I think I found the perfect game for you. All of the detailed role play with none of those frills that get in the way like day/night cycles and trees and lamp posts being knocked down.

It's called Rogue
Posted Image

Best part, it's shareware so it won't even cost you a dime. Now you can build a character, role play, and not worry about the little touches that take you out of the experience.

Enjoy!

:D

Sorry, I had to. I mean, come on, it's the little things that help add immersion, not take away from it.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 19 August 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Did someone say fire?! :D

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

#7 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

I disagree OP. I like kicking over trees... light posts... cars... oil tanks... bridges... buildings... planets... Ah hell, just let us wreck everything!

#8 Zeriniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 19 August 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Well... Having a few less trees to kick around would be ok, oh and at some point can we laser those f'ers to the ground?

A common tactic was to set fire to woods and grass to setup a smoke screen... I think that'd be 'neat', even though I HATE not being able to see...

I agree, a few less trees wouldn't be horrible, but as far as Forest Colony goes (and not River City)

Breakable Objects

]The new Forest Colony features an array of breakable, mostly natural objects:
Small Trees - can be knocked over by 'Mech and projectile collisions
Medium Trees - branches can be broken off by 'Mech and projectile collisions
Antennae - can be knocked over by 'Mech and projectile collisions
These objects will not block or slow down 'Mechs or weapons fire

They go down for weapons fire (at least projectile based ones. Maybe Laser based would generate too many collision hit issues?)

And to hit upon the OPs issue -

There are litterally DOZENS of us who want this to be a simulator, and not a first person shooter with slow movement.

Edited by Zeriniel, 19 August 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#9 Tuefel Hunden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

I dunno, I rather enjoy knocking over stuff. Now, if I could just collapse a building onto a Firestarter.....

#10 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

- So for years we have been wanting destructable environment / terrain in game. PGI starts to add it - people complain.

- For years people complain about the lack of detail and how sparse maps have become. PGI makes a cryengine breakthough and lush, detailed maps - People complain.

Guess it's not called Cryengine for nothing....

#11 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 19 August 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

I think I found the perfect game for you. All of the detailed role play with none of those frills that get in the way like day/night cycles and trees and lamp posts being knocked down.

It's called Rogue
Posted Image

Best part, it's shareware so it won't even cost you a dime. Now you can build a character, role play, and not worry about the little touches that take you out of the experience.

Enjoy!

Sorry, I had to. I mean, come on, it's the little things that help add immersion, not take away from it.

Archon is really good, too. I used to play it way back in high school accounting class.

#12 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

It's called Rogue
Posted Image
LOL, I know that game as "Hack" actually...

#13 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

It's called Rogue
Posted Image

Enjoy!

Rougelikes are awesome.

Check out Dungeon Crawl, Stone Soup.

I for one. Like kicking trees. On forest colony today I kicked some weird giant sprout thing, halfway across the map. The other team was screaming that theres a cheater or a bug. Good times.

#14 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

View PostMister Blastman, on 19 August 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

Archon is really good, too. I used to play it way back in high school accounting class.

LOVE that game!

#15 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

Posted Image

Even rougelikes get graphical updates.

Edited by KraftySOT, 19 August 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#16 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

Whiners gonna whine.

New maps are awesome, and I'm having fun like a kid kicking trees!

Sounds, destroyable stuff...I wish even more!

#17 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Is see MWO as a FPS game with mechs

Yep, wrong game, move along.

#18 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

View PostKraftySOT, on 19 August 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

Rougelikes are awesome.

Check out Dungeon Crawl, Stone Soup.

Rogue-likes are awesome. I think Rogue is the game that coined that term too. Basic in visuals, but a hard game and very unforgiving. So fun.

Those sound good. I think my favorite Rogue-like right now is FTL. I've had it since it came out, and I still play it occasionally. I wish there were more games similar to it.

#19 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

Young padavan, I started gaming with pong! Destructable terrain is fun for the first 10-20 games, but when you play 20 of those games a day, then it starts to annoy, at least, me. I want to fight other mechs, not the environment.

#20 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

View PostMainhunter, on 19 August 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

Young padavan, I started gaming with pong! Destructable terrain is fun for the first 10-20 games, but when you play 20 of those games a day, then it starts to annoy, at least, me. I want to fight other mechs, not the environment.

"I want to fight other armies, not the environment."

- Napoleon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users