Bring Back The Old Elo

131 replies to this topic

#1 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

Look, the games might be more challenging, and who knows maybe better balanced. But right now the game just doesn't feel fun. The number of stomps is disheartening, and I went from being a pretty skilled casual pilot to playing in games that are way above my competitiveness level. The hew system just leaves me feeling like a newb with no possibility for improvement. Sure is Mechwarrior Online was my whole life I might enjoy adapting to playing with more competitive players, but right now, at 1-2 games per day, I'd rather play with my own skill level.

Ultimately this new ranking system is going to make tier 1 players feel elite and accomplished, and everyone else feeling stupid. Legs go back to wins and losses. I still got stomped because the team did poorly, but at least i had fun playing, and sometimes the matches lasted 10 minutes. now I just load and die. I spend more time waiting than playing.

Damed poor show PGI, Dammed poor show,

#2 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:19 AM

Suffer for couple of weeks, then the new system should work as it should. Hopefully... Right now because of... circumstances some might have higher tier than they actually are capable of. At least I see a lot of people struggling in the solo queue with their mechs.

#3 LookUpGaming

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:20 AM

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not.......

The system will get you into matches with people of similar skill. You wont have a match maker trying to round out some average Elo number, putting people with a low Elo into a match to round down some top players Elo.

Have not played a whole lot since the patch, but so far I like it.

Stomps are going to happen no matter what matchmaker you use. Its just the nature of the game. Once you get up a kill you are that much more likely to get the next one. If everyone is in a blob that compounds the problem. Anyone not in the blob is often not contributing so they might as well be dead.

#4 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:20 AM

LOLNO,

I've had the best matches in a LOOOONG time. Wins or losses, even the stomps were fun as hell. Do NOT return me to the months of purgatory that was ELO hell. All the hacker meta L33T tryhards must be in their owner tier beating the tar out of each other.

I still see plenty of laser vomit BUT I was actually killed by an AC20 last night. Breath of fresh air!

#5 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:21 AM

I havent noticed any difference in teammate quality.

The game isnt "fun" IMO because TTK is super low.

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:22 AM

View Postcrashlogic, on 20 August 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

Look, the games might be more challenging, and who knows maybe better balanced. But right now the game just doesn't feel fun. The number of stomps is disheartening, and I went from being a pretty skilled casual pilot to playing in games that are way above my competitiveness level. The hew system just leaves me feeling like a newb with no possibility for improvement. Sure is Mechwarrior Online was my whole life I might enjoy adapting to playing with more competitive players, but right now, at 1-2 games per day, I'd rather play with my own skill level.

Ultimately this new ranking system is going to make tier 1 players feel elite and accomplished, and everyone else feeling stupid. Legs go back to wins and losses. I still got stomped because the team did poorly, but at least i had fun playing, and sometimes the matches lasted 10 minutes. now I just load and die. I spend more time waiting than playing.

Sounds like you need to adapt to the new level of competition. Now the question you need to ask yourself, "Am I up to it?"

#7 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:26 AM

First of all, give it some time. It may take a few weeks of shuffling players around for the new system to figure out where every one properly fits now. You may find you're in too high of a tier and need to come down. Once dropped, you might be in some easier matches.

Plus, imagine how frustrating it must have been for the people you stomped before the new system. It not sent fun for them, why should your needs be put above theirs.

#8 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:27 AM

have you ever considered, that your "skilled casual" meant your opps had an opponent past their skills making their game "not fun"

so your elo was wrong and too low grantign you easy opps. Now the PSR puts you up where your score belongs to. If that is too high for you, you will now have to lose a few times and the game will soon settle you at your true skill. But this should still not be the "old" fun" you had, because that was getting you skillwise worse opps than you should have gotten.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 August 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:28 AM

Look, the games might be more challenging, and who knows maybe better balanced. But right now the game just doesn't feel fun. The number of stomps is disheartening, and I went from being a pretty skilled casual pilot to playing in games that are way above my competitiveness level. The hew system just leaves me feeling like a newb with no possibility for improvement.

By your admitted poor performance, you will join the lesser pilots in no time. So no worries.

#10 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:33 AM

I think the matchmaker groups too widely with -/+ 2 tiers making tier 3 get matched up with potentially anyone. The matchmaker should be tightened to -/+ 1 tier with it only expanding to 2 as an act of desperation to fill a match.

#11 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:39 AM

lots of worried translating to : I was carried and now have to account for my artifically inflated rating

Suffer. And be glad you are sinking to your proper level. Where the only one to blame for your team's failures is YOU.

#12 Trainee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:40 AM

View Postcdlord, on 20 August 2015 - 04:20 AM, said:

LOLNO,

I've had the best matches in a LOOOONG time. Wins or losses, even the stomps were fun as hell. Do NOT return me to the months of purgatory that was ELO hell. All the hacker meta L33T tryhards must be in their owner tier beating the tar out of each other.

I still see plenty of laser vomit BUT I was actually killed by an AC20 last night. Breath of fresh air!

I have to agree with cdlord. Haven't played a ton, but the games feel a lot more equal now. Even the stomps aren't really stomps. If i'm alive, my mech is usually banged up pretty bad at the end.

Seen quite a few matches swing back and forth on which team has more kills. Normally if you're up 3-4 its over, but doesn't seem to be the case quite as much now.

#13 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:40 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 20 August 2015 - 04:22 AM, said:

Sounds like you need to adapt to the new level of competition. Now the question you need to ask yourself, "Am I up to it?"

Clearly the answer is 'NO'.

#14 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

Look I am not trying to be elite status, and I mostly got stomped before. I just notice a big difference from doing 3-400 damage a match to 58-60. I know I am outclassed, I get it. But Kyocera is right as probably a tier 3 player, I don't really want matches with tier 1s. As it is its more fun getting pug stomped in CW

#15 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:52 AM

@ OP
LMAO

I am finally in great games where I don't feel like 2 of us are carrying the rest of the team (insert atlas "Are we having fun yet" image) and where it is a teeth-gritting challenge not to get my arse blown off every second in the match -- this is fun.

You just need to have a little patience and wait for your PSR (Pilot Skill Rank?) level to adjust itself -- in a short while you will be happily in the tier that is right for you and your games will level out.

View PostKyocera, on 20 August 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

I think the matchmaker groups too widely with -/+ 2 tiers making tier 3 get matched up with potentially anyone. The matchmaker should be tightened to -/+ 1 tier with it only expanding to 2 as an act of desperation to fill a match.

Yes, you are probably right but I think that should work for higher tiers but not lower ones... so Tier 1 may have to wait considerably longer but a T3 or lower shouldn't be in a game with T1s. (that would really make T1 hard-mode) I don't see too much of an issue with a T3-T4-T5 match.

Edited by nehebkau, 20 August 2015 - 04:56 AM.

#16 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

View PostKyocera, on 20 August 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

Yeah it seems that there really is no separation anymore. All PSR really did was get rid of most of the benefits in playing the lighter chassis. Not that you can't do well in the lighter ones but you can do better in any measurable aspect of the game in a heavier one.

#17 Doctor Smiley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between Heaven And Hell

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

OP needs to Adapt and Overcome.

#18 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:57 AM

BLABLABLA

what about a
NOPE!

(if you are feeling your "calculated" tier to be too much high for you....maybe you used to be carried...)

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 20 August 2015 - 05:00 AM.

#19 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:02 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 20 August 2015 - 04:21 AM, said:

I havent noticed any difference in teammate quality.

The game isnt "fun" IMO because TTK is super low.

Same for me, don't see any difference. TTK is super low, and 100500 lazorz alphas non stop killing fun big time :rolleyes:

#20 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:02 AM

Oh and Lugh, Mark twain did not say lies, damined lies and statistics, He quoted Benjamin Disraeli who said it first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users