So This New Matchmaking Is Better How?

44 replies to this topic

#1 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

Nothing but stomps usually against. How is that better? I like the newish match points system. But from my point of view the quality of gameplay has gone down the tubes. Have only had a handfull of CLOSE matches since patch. Ive been playing lots and just not feeling it. Its just been not fun at all. Its not fun winning by 10-2 or vice versa. What gives PGI?

Edited by Lemming of the BDA, 20 August 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#2 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostLemming of the BDA, on 20 August 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Nothing but stomps usually against. How is that better? I like the newish match points system. But from my point of view the quality of gameplay has gone down the tubes. Have only had a handfull of CLOSE matches since patch. Ive been playing lots and just not feeling it. Its just been not fun at all. Its not fun winning by 10-2 or vice versa. What gives PGI?

New system, needs fine-tuning, takes time.
We're all guinea pigs until then but that's just how MMOs go, nothing new there.

#3 Fractis Zero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, Canada

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

I've had the opposite experience. Now more matches are close instead of 12-2 stomps I see a lot more close 12-6 and better matches. Stomps still occur but they seem fewer and farther between .

#4 NetherlightWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 124 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Sector

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:51 PM

I am not pleased with this new system. 90% of my matches have been losses after a paltry 3 wins.

I tried a group match with my friend and had an all too familiar case of us + pugs being pitted against a 10 man sync drop of -MS- who stacked all guass and made me just wish there was a forfeit feature because there was zero point to that match except to stroke sync dropper's ego.

I thought Tier 1 was not supposed to be pitted against Tier 4 or 5, or are big name units convinently exempt from this rule? Also why has nothing been done to punish sync droppers, because as it stands myself and my friend can't even play together on MWO without being little more than target practice for these big units and it really leaves little desire to play or spend money on MWO.

The new PSR system is a step in the right direction, but you still have plenty of holes and openings for abuse in the matchmaker system, especially when it comes to big units sync dropping with abuse of MASC + guass stacking to destroy the other team before they even have a chance to do anything. That, more than anything, needs to have a stop put to it.

#5 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:41 AM

View PostShiverwolf, on 20 August 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

I tried a group match with my friend and had an all too familiar case of us + pugs being pitted against a 10 man sync drop of -MS- who stacked all guass and made me just wish there was a forfeit feature because there was zero point to that match except to stroke sync dropper's ego.

A minor point, but if you're in the group queue then the MS group aren't sync dropping. They're just another group that happened to be in the queue. Frustrating though it might be to get rolled by a large organised group, that is (unfortunately) always a possibility in the group queue.

Also, it's worth noting that MS is a very large unit (an alliance of units, really) and it's very unlikely that all of their members are tier 1 players.

#6 NetherlightWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 124 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Sector

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:10 AM

I counter your point that all of them having the [-MS-] tag and had taken out both my side torsos at 1000m+ not even a full minute into the match was either Tier 1 playing or aim bot hacking. It has zip to do with any kind of "alliance", and last I checked on the last changes they did before the PSR update said that 10man groups will *never* show up against 1 full group or less.

Try again on that defense.

Edit: To further make my point. It was both my STs from the *rear* as I had my DWF's side facing trying to absorb mass guass and get to cover. Note, rear damage, from the side. So either they had some magic guass rounds and considering this was the first time this happened. I doubt it was a hit-box issue, further to the point that when I was hit, the incoming fire indicator you get in your target area (you know that part that flashes red when you take damage from weapon fire to show you where it's coming from), was flashing from the side, not the rear.

Edited by Shiverwolf, 21 August 2015 - 04:25 AM.

#7 BillyM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:00 AM

My experience is the opposite. I spent last night in solo games (10-12 matches) and I said something to the tune of "Excellent close game all, great work!" at the closure of ~8 of them. I was amazed at how close the solo games had become matched on a per-player basis.

...haven't played much group queue since the patch to verify your experiences.

--billyM

#8 whitelightshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:47 PM

It has to be better now. Before I had an 48/52 win/loss ration and since the patch well 10/90. Most being 12:6 - 12:1 losses.

Edited by whitelightshadow, 21 August 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#9 Moonraven83

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:29 PM

View PostShiverwolf, on 20 August 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

There are no Pugs (Soloplayers) in group queue.
Groups can be anything from 2 to 10mans and 12mans, [-MS-] wasn't syncdropping they were just dropping with a 10man-group. In terms of extremes IT IS possible that a 12man is matched against 6 2mans but the MM usually tries to match big groups against each other and fill the rest with smaller groups. So your match was 10man [-MS-] with a 2man group against your 2man and 10 other players in various groupsizes (e.g. 8man + another 2man, or any other possible combination).
You were just unlucky, no syncdrop happened.

And the thing with losing the backside, look here it is possible to hit the back from the side

Edited by Moonraven83, 21 August 2015 - 11:30 PM.

#10 Fast Eddie

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:48 AM

Yup, something is very awry with the matchmaker since the patch. Most matches are very one sided. Hopefully the PSR ranking thing will settle down and teams will become more balanced

#11 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:25 AM

Personally, I've experienced more close matches than ever before. Some 12-10 or 12-8. Losing and winning. Been better fun to see closer games like this than previously. This was pugging though and I played with my unit last night and it still seemed improved. Had some stomps against us and some we did but overwall it was more evenly matched I would say. Think the system needs time to align everyone in the tiers they should properly be in.

#12 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

I would be interested to see the number of players complaining about stomps in the lower tiers.

Technically speaking there should be much less in the higher tiers since well, skill. If your in a top tier team and you keep getting stomped, something is seriously up. It happens, but should not be that often. Would expect it more on lower tiers tbh.

I find its relatively balanced - one or two stomps, but most games are much closer now. Also finding they are a bit more competitive too ;)

Edited by White Bear 84, 22 August 2015 - 04:48 AM.

#13 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

This is not match maker, this is search maker

#14 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

Posted Image

#15 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:55 PM

I've only dropped 5 times in the new MM and have 5 losses but at least they were close matches.

#16 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostG SE7EN7, on 22 August 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

How I analyse this based on points.
Bravo group overall carried while the rest of the groups points were not far off and did their part.

For enemy team...
Only 1 person apparently was playing the game and was not a troll.
The rest of the 11 needs to be demoted to Tier 4 or 5... (This will happen eventually over time, if they continue playing like that.)

#17 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

Many I have seen like this since patch. The MM is not needed, just grab the first 24 players and let them have at it, the randomness has got to be better then any elo/psr system PGI can come up with.

#18 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:00 PM

View PostG SE7EN7, on 22 August 2015 - 10:43 PM, said:

Many I have seen like this since patch. The MM is not needed, just grab the first 24 players and let them have at it, the randomness has got to be better then any elo/psr system PGI can come up with.

I suspect this randomness might be due some people people scrambling for practically free challenge points this weekend.

#19 Acierocolotl

• PipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:25 AM

I've only been dropping in the solo queue this weekend and the last few days and it's been positively brilliant. Stomps are quite infrequent. Matches are hard-fought affairs, sometimes real nailbiters; one of them was a Skirmish comeback from a 4-0 deficit, even.

I imagine as there's more granularity in the group queue in terms of player skill, there's going to be more uneven results. But thus far, I can't complain with what I've seen. I've had a lot of genuinely great matches with a much higher proportion of courteous players than before. It's almost as if there's some etiquette-based matchmaker action going on, and I love it.

#20 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

Hmm I remember whenever we used to suggest to PGI to try and make matchmaking more tightly connected to individual player skill ( a lot of suggestions by the way were VERY similar to what we got now) there were some people warning to be careful what you wish for.

Their rationale pretty much was:

If players of very equal skill are matched up together there is much less room for a better player making up for the mistakes of worse players. Which leads to stomps because in equal skill scenarios losing one mech of a team weighs a lot heavier and is often enough of an advantage to also kill 2 to 3 other mechs rather quickly afterwords. Which leads to faster matches and more stomps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users