84 replies to this topic

#1 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

I think there is a fair amount of the general population that has become detached from CW.

Its just not that interesting or profitable for the time invested?

I hope the current Itteration doesn't reflect where PGI wants it to be.

How do we improve participation and investment in CW.

I have a few ideas, good or bad.

Allow small unit warfare. When participation is low like 4 or 8 in one queue and 4 or 8 in the other for more than oh lets say 8 min allow those two groups to clash. Small unit warfare isn't unheard of, lore often has only 4 mechs taking a base. With all the backup mechs thats still alot of mechs to fight and die.

Add planetary information and assign certain CW maps to each planet so people can know what enviroments to prepare thier mechs for.

Besides Attack and Defend add:

Ingress where you have to defend the landing and departure of a active large dropship. With the goal of unloading fresh support staff and supplies for the Orbital cannon.
Preperation = 10min defend landing site, no dropship in sight
Landing = 5 min all Dropship weapons active.
Unload = 10min no Dropship weapons active.
Take Off = 5min all Dropship weapons active.
Defend dropship while it's there.

Evacuate where some kind of large dropship prepares to evacuate remaining support staff from the damaged orbital cannon. Represents the window between when a base is captured and it is manned by the enemy.
Load = 10min no weapons active,
Preflight = 10min only the dropships autocanons and LRMs active
Power Up = 5 min only the dropships auto cannons and LRMs active
Take Off = 5 min where all weapons are active.
Your team would have to defend that until it takes off or you or the other team is dead.

Hopefully this would make the game more dynamic while PGI wouldn't have to invest in a bunch in NPC vehicles with AI and hopefully addl programming. I mean they already have small drophips that are armed and come and go. Make one bigger that stays for longer and has hit points like the orbital cannon.

Attack phase starts with normal Attack/ Defend senario. If or once the attackers win it would go to defenders have to Evacuate, you succeed or you don't end result same. Attackers get switched to an ingress/defend situation. If you win your Ingress it go to the normal Attack/Defend senario again. If you don't succeed at ingress by the time attack phase is over planet is lost. If you are in Attack/defend phase normal win/lost applies. If you end up evacuating as the last game of attack phase you lose the planet.

Hopefully that makes sense.

You can expand on these, suggest changes or add your own or just cut it down.
Give reasons please. I would like to understand, saying "this is dumb" is lazy and pointless.

Added later same day as original post.

I did think that if your Faction held a planet you might get some reoccurent payment from holding it paid to the faction. as long as you held it. Maybe 40,000 cbills a day or something, nothing big.

PLEASE "LIKE" IF YOU DO.

Edited by Biclor Moban, 27 August 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:06 AM

More game modes is what we need, and these ideas are in the right direction.

Another thing to consider is count restriction. So not every drop has to be 12 v 12.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

Somehow the defend dropship thing sounds like...
Posted Image
(image is of a police battle armor in the BT universe; but it's being used for visual reference to a dropship holding a crew of infantry to take over the cannon and other sites.)

I can see where the design is going. Particularly on the evacuation. Titan Fall has this at the end of any level involving a defeat. Even as attackers, you see the other side having to perform an evacuation and stall and protect transports.

It's a start.

On a side note... take a look at the first link in my signature -- it has something of a CW idea based on all the stuff PGI fed us combining the 2011 descriptions with the 2014 descriptions.

#4 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Right now, the answer is by improving interest in the base game first.

Once the maps, balance, etc. are overhauled, and a tutorial/PVE feature added, CW is gonna be the next big overhaul project - I'd even bet that the current maps, after all is said and done, would disappear or become part of a new map that you can only barely perceive is based on the current ones.

But, we're not there yet - so for now it's a waiting game.

#5 SolarCleric

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

I think the only issue is it is strictly made for group play not solo play..and its hard to find 11 buddies to play with at the same time. So I like the idea above where they have "Lance Missions" where you could do 4v4 etc.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

all future events need to include cw. events that dont literally turn the map into a ghost town.

#7 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

Resource based planetary warfare. It is why mech2 through mech4 were epic. Ask me how...

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostSolarCleric, on 22 August 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

I think the only issue is it is strictly made for group play not solo play..and its hard to find 11 buddies to play with at the same time. So I like the idea above where they have "Lance Missions" where you could do 4v4 etc.

Teamspeak, faction chat, and calls to arms solve that problem.

#9 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 August 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

Somehow the defend dropship thing sounds like...
Posted Image
(image is of a police battle armor in the BT universe; but it's being used for visual reference to a dropship holding a crew of infantry to take over the cannon and other sites.)

I can see where the design is going. Particularly on the evacuation. Titan Fall has this at the end of any level involving a defeat. Even as attackers, you see the other side having to perform an evacuation and stall and protect transports.

It's a start.

On a side note... take a look at the first link in my signature -- it has something of a CW idea based on all the stuff PGI fed us combining the 2011 descriptions with the 2014 descriptions.

I was thinking of something like this something in the Union size range. Probably not an Overlord unless lets say its your home planet (Liao).
Posted Image

#10 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

View PostSolarCleric, on 22 August 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 August 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Teamspeak, faction chat, and calls to arms solve that problem.

The matching system IMHO is akward and seems to have more match building screens than is needed. I agree with both of you to some degree or another.

Edited by Biclor Moban, 22 August 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#11 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 August 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

all future events need to include cw. events that dont literally turn the map into a ghost town.

Having CW as part of events would be great. If your are going to spend 50 min to an hour on one round they need to make CW more profitable to play.

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

1. Maps that don't suck - ie offer teams a choice in their tactical approach rather than forcing some generic moba bs at us.

2. Game mode depth to make the mode itself actually interesting to play.

3. Hire somebody whose name isn't Russ to put in charge of game development.

-edit, 3 could probably be 1. as well.

Edited by sycocys, 22 August 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#13 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

View PostScoops Kerensky, on 22 August 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

My suggestion to improve interest in CW is undo any forum bans on NKVA so we can continue artificially pump life into this dead board. Ha ha ha.

I am a bit dense,not sure what you are saying here. What dead board?

Please don't bring any NKVA stuff to this thread, crazy is as crazy does and we don't need that here.

#14 Biclor Moban

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:28 PM

View Postsycocys, on 22 August 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

1. Maps that don't suck - ie offer teams a choice in their tactical approach rather than forcing some generic moba bs at us.

2. Game mode depth to make the mode itself actually interesting to play.

3. Hire somebody whose name isn't Russ to put in charge of game development.

-edit, 3 could probably be 1. as well.

I have issues with the CW maps as well.

1st Why do we have these huge gates and a one lane road leading to them. Why would a military waste resources on gigantic opening gates. Make a wall and put a door in it that is a little taller than an Atlas and is two Atlas's wide.

I have to adjust my gamma and or brightness on some CW maps or I can't see the enemy, then have to adjust it back for others maybe its because I have a Radeon GPU...

Location of orbital cannon doesn't make tactical sense on most maps.
----
Yes, depth is my primary reason for suggestiing adding Ingress and Evacuate. Right now CW is a larger version of the public queue. More time consuming and often less profitable though. They lost the plot, he he...
-----
You speak of a Russ I have heard this name before..I think your sentiment is similar to the previous time I heard that name.

Edited by Biclor Moban, 22 August 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

http://www.localditc...alkthrough.html

All I'm saying is that to my recollection there is at least 7 prior video games to pull mission ideas from + all the game books + all the story books + earth military history for the last 500 years and all we get is: walk through gates you know you are going to get shot to pieces at, then assuming you survive shoot a cannon/generators or kill everyone.

So much time was put into creating these terrible maps, when they could have made simpler larger maps with multiple (possibly randomized) missions for players compete against each other for. The detailed maps are nice, they really do look good but there's simply no good reason to take them to that level of detail until after they are proven maps that players enjoy playing on. This far down the road the game should have a couple dozen maps just for standard mode, with a dozen (up to fifteen or how many ever nodes you want) different variations allocated to each type of planet for CW.

Edited by sycocys, 23 August 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#16 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

In all honesty, I think that even before CW, getting a 12-man team together was a hell of a challenge outside of the units. I'd be more than happy to drop in groups, but with the Teamspeak channels all but completely dried up as units become more insular, it's harder than ever to do a CW drop, even for players from the big units. More than a few times I've played as part of a 12 man during beta 1, it was with a hodgepodge of players from several units.

Honest truth, I think that focusing on 12-player group size was a mistake. It's too large a player count to be convenient, and it makes it all the more difficult to be organized. Things need to be dialed back to 4-man lances (or possibly clan 5-man stars, or Comstar 6-man "Level II"s). That way it'll be far faster to make a match, far less one-sided when playing against pugs, far more difficult to spawn camp, and overall, just more likely to draw players back into the game.

Also, CW shouldn't be afraid to make use of some of the Public Drop modes for small unit matches.

#17 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

As far as bolstering interest in CW is concerned, the biggest thing for me would be for PGI to improve the time factor. Taking close to an hour to find and then complete a single CW match is a major turn-off for me. I can do four to six regular matches in that same time frame and earn just as much or more C-bills on a per-hour basis.

#18 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

A fair amount? It looks to me the vast majority of the player population isn't involved or want to get involved in CW. Furthermore, a lot of the people I know that used to be involved in CW are not there anymore.

#19 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

CW costs too much resources that could be used to more important projects- Simply shut it down. Nobody will notice anyway.

Edited by xe N on, 24 August 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#20 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

Give away cash prizes for people to win. Like a currently announced event in the community events forum. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users