To Much Gpu Power?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Hougham

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:56 AM

If you had the min spec Athlon ii x2 245e with hd5630 ect would there be much of a point putting a higher spec card like a hd5870 and would it be possible to put a to high spec card say a R9 that it could actually be detrimental.

Edited by Hougham, 23 August 2015 - 05:57 AM.

#2 Ragashar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

Too much power just doesn't exist in this context... If the gpu did some weird idling between operations it could cause some strangeness, but I think this has been eliminated by software and gpu CPU controllers...

With MWO though, adding a top of the line gpu card on a min spec processor, the improvement wouldn't be as drastic as it would be in games that are more gpu reliant. MWO is a CPU game first of all and you would probably see more improvement by replacing the motherboard and CPU than the gpu.

#3 Ragashar

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

Another thought though about hlthe whole PC gaming as it is now. I started to see problems on my now 4 year old PC with current Gen console game ports. Like NBA 2k15. Purchased a R9-290 last fall and haven't seen any problems since. I have the old Intel 2500k processor on my PC and the setup can run any games without a problem. Talking Witcher 3 and all of the sort... So in general, replacing the GPU does extend your PC life quite well... Just not as effectively in MWO.

#4 Missing Spartan

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

If you put a high spec GPU in to a system with a Low end CPU you'll bottle neck the GPU most likely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users