If You Have A Gtx 780 / 780It Go Back To Windows 7 / 8 And A Old Driver

10 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

I don't know if anyone else noticed , or if it is been discussed in the forums before https://forums.gefor...or-of-maxwell-/, but as it seems Nvidia is deliberately crushing Kepler Gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell's . More and more games are coming in which for example Gtx 970 (no overclock) is faster than Gtx 780 ti , while this should not be the case . The latest example is Project Cars which cries out : ' let's cripple Kepler through drivers to make Maxwell shine '.

i did not want to believe it but i downgraded my driver to 347.09 http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us the driver right before Maxwell's i have seen 25+ fps on almost all my games on my GTX 780 .....and for all your games to work right you have to go back to windows 7 / 8.... not happy

Edited by Iron Riding Cowboy, 23 August 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#2 SIN Deacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

I ran 2, 6970's in crossfire for a long time. They ran everything at 60+ FPS once I figured out the sweet spot with setting up the crossfire profile for each game. It may have been some work, but I like to tweak and I always saw improvements with my crossfire setup.

That said, I grow tired of my 2 970's. SLI runs without any tweaking, but that's about it. I may have performance out of the box, but it's nothing like my old crossfire setup. The new 300 series isn't what I hoped so I will be putting water blocks on my MSI's. Still won't see much of a difference since the watt's is max'd already on stock voltage (just increase cpu/mem MHz), but I have not been impressed with the intel/NVidia monopoly. I build anything, run everything. If it's the right price I'll make it quick, but the game has become tiresome.

Edited by SIN Deacon, 23 August 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#3 SIN Deacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

For the record, I have my friends 8120 Oc'd to 4.4ghz @ 1.385v, h60, 2xScythe Karma's | MSI 960. He's had that CPU and board (gigabyte 990fx) since release. Pretty much a slight bump over stock voltage without a problem (Always 12+ hours tested full cpu/mem load).

Run a 3d bench mark, any kind unigine or 3dmark and I'll start formatting my system too see what's best.

<S>

#4 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:32 AM

Let's see some actual data.

New drivers didn't hurt performance here, the problem is the per-game optimisations now have a higher priority for maxwell, so new games can run relatively poorly. But an older driver won't help.

When the witcher 3 came out I was still running a half year old driver. Did some fps tests, then installed the new "witcher 3 game ready" driver, performed exactly the same. Luckily there was enough outrage, and 2 weeks later there was a driver with kepler tweaks for the witcher 3.

#5 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

Calling fud on this.

My GTX680 performs the same.

#6 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

Few points.
Firstly this issue was fixed in the following few driver updates to my knowledge.

Secondly, what do people honestly expect? Nvidia is always going to spend more time on driver updates and optimizations on it's current cards, they are the in stream product what their reviews and marketing are based on and are what continue to generate new revenue.

Thirdly as Nvidia are proprietary friendly their newer tech (hello hairworks) is always going to be based around the current technology set with improvements coming down the pipe as their drivers mature.

It shouldn't be surprising that new games using new tech perform poorly on older (and kepler is now old) tech.

And before someone comes in and blurts out but oh AMD blah blah...AMD are still using the same arch they were during the 7000 series... (sans Fury)

#7 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

Why is it so hard to understand that Kepler was great in games written for x360/ps3 but now as we move into games designed for ps4/xone first it isn't that great anymore.

#8 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

Not sure what Kepler is game wise,but i have a system bought from cyber pc with a nvid gtx 660. Though i am not running on full res {1980/1020} and since i am not logged in currently on MWO not sure where it is set but know it is atleast mid settings and only shadowing off I can pull 80-100 fps on most maps and that is with moving and looking around which is when the lag spikes start.I also have MSI Afterburner too tweek it but found that the presets are enough.

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

Can people really tell the difference between 30, 60, 90, and120 FPS?

#10 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

View PostMystere, on 26 August 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Can people really tell the difference between 30, 60, 90, and120 FPS?

I can tell the difference between 30 and 60. Above that I can tell when it chugs (drops significant fps), but otherwise no.

#11 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

Teh Bronze Standard is a steady 42fps; Silver is a minimum of 42; Gold would be a minimum equal to your refresh …

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users