Trackir Or Oculus Rift?

6 replies to this topic

#1 unwary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

I was wondering which of these 2 gimmicky things would be more fun to spice up my solo queue adventures.

Does anyone have a recommendation of one choice above the other?

inb4 I'll look like this either way :P

Posted Image

#2 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

IIRC MWO Supports TrackIR, Not sure about the Rift though

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:25 AM

I tried headtracking, makes it quite hard to hit stuff because the reticle isn't in the center screen all the time.

Could try building this, much cheaper than trackIR.
https://edtracker.org.uk/

#4 Acierocolotl

• PipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:04 AM

Unless they've changed it, TrackIR just gives head tracking and works with your current monitor, while Oculus Rift is full 3D with head tracking and has its own display.

I'd spring for Oculus Rift--when it's formally released--because I use iRacing from time to time and it's supported, but it requires a pretty sturdy video card. TrackIR works now and requires much less hardware.

#5 cx5

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

I have TrackIR and used it on MWO, ArmA, various racing game.

I have first hand experience feedback that I think TrackIR or such concept is fundamentally flawed and is NOT GOOD at all, because when we turn our head to left side our eyes have to veer right a lot to look at the monitor. It's just completely painful and wrong.

I have been considering mounting the reflectors on my shoulders/breast and torso twist to turn on body while keeping my head completely straight so that I can look at the monitor without eye-sick. I've tried it with a few cables and stickers and it works much better than turning my head. However I haven't got a chance to make a proper shoulder/breast mounting.

#6 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:46 AM

The above criticism of track IR is a good one and why the Rift is far and away the more interesting product. Fair warning though, it requires serious graphical horsepower. The 3D effect requires rendering the scene twice at different angles, at 1080x1200 per eye. People I know who have them manage to stress some pretty beefy GPUs, just with lower resolution DK1s and 2s.

Edited by Catamount, 11 September 2015 - 03:48 AM.

#7 BiggRigg42

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

Is it possible to use the Track IT to aim the guns, instead of simply using TrackIR to look in the {LT-MOB-25} pit?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users