- - - - -

Brawling Range?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:57 AM

I always think of brawling as being stood toe to toe, right in the face of your opponent, but I think in MWO its not the same.

What is the "brawling" range in MWO?

Is "toe to toe" brawling ever a planned encounter or is it one of those unfortunate events in a battle where you end up squaring off against whoever happened to come around the corner and its too late/ risky to try and disengage?

Many thanks

Edited by Soultraxx, 26 August 2015 - 02:17 AM.

#2 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:05 AM

"Brawling" - verb

Should be close quarters combat within 270 meters or under (this is the optimal range for most brawling weapons before damage drop occurs, ie SRM, Autocannon 20, medium laser, etc). Often using cover and tactics such as rolling your armour, shield arm, or simply blowing up the enemy before they blow you up.

it contrasts to Urbanwarfare or "urbanbrawling" by the factor that you try to restrain civilian casualties or collateral damage (not in MW: O atm or ever) and often use the buildings as cover or utilize jumpjets to get to the rooftops or at the lower buildings for an ambush or an advantage point.

Note: The term Brawler - noun is different, this implies a mech going between 60 to 75 (approximate) kph with mainly short range weapons however featuring some(times) long range weapons to not be useless up close, for example take the stock centurion for example- it may feature medium lasers, AC 10 or what have you, but it also features an LRM 10 for long range.
More armour then a skirmisher, scout, or (typically) LRM boat or sniper of same weight class, but still not as much as the juggernaut. Thus brawling with juggernauts can be risky as they have superior close range firepower and armour.

This applies to MW: O quite well as having a long range weapon will allow you to do some form of damage and allow you to not be useless at range or on long range maps as well as to get the juicy kill assists.

#3 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:42 AM

Well as long as you cant rip off a hugeass tree and beat the c... out of your opponent it would say up to 270 Meters.

#4 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:16 AM

Yeah - I usually consider it brawling when I can effectively bring my medium lasers to bear (and do more than heat up the paint on their mech).

So like everyone's said above or if you like round numbers, around the time you get closer than 300m.

#5 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:44 AM

Another way to think of it, if you have clear sight of your target without having to zoom in, you're in brawling range

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:12 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 26 August 2015 - 01:57 AM, said:

I always think of brawling as being stood toe to toe, right in the face of your opponent, but I think in MWO its not the same.

Is "toe to toe" brawling ever a planned encounter or is it one of those unfortunate events in a battle where you end up squaring off against whoever happened to come around the corner and its too late/ risky to try and disengage?

Many thanks

If we base it off the rewards system for each match, it should be around 450m.

#7 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:25 AM

I got a brawling reward using LRM... between 180 and 400 m or so :)

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:32 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 26 August 2015 - 01:57 AM, said:

Many thanks

270 meters or less. Look at it this way:

What are the most common, and iconic brawling weapons? AC 20, and SRMs. Both have a range of 270 meters max.

#9 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 August 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

270 meters or less. Look at it this way:

What are the most common, and iconic brawling weapons? AC 20, and SRMs. Both have a range of 270 meters max.

Either can be easily boosted, and many mechs have quirks for range. I like the nice round 300m number for personal memory, especially since the weapons that have a 270m range naturally don't lose much effectiveness in that 30m. I think the Orion I use actually has a 304m range for MLs and the AC/20, without modules. The SRMs sadly sit at 270m still.

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostTorezu, on 26 August 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

Either can be easily boosted, and many mechs have quirks for range. I like the nice round 300m number for personal memory, especially since the weapons that have a 270m range naturally don't lose much effectiveness in that 30m. I think the Orion I use actually has a 304m range for MLs and the AC/20, without modules. The SRMs sadly sit at 270m still.

All discussion in regards to ranges is done without factoring in range modules, as they are optional content, and usually not something new players are concerned with. Same goes for quirks. They are a mech modifier to a weapon. However, the weapon on it's own is a 270 meter ranged weapon.

Sure it might be 300 on another one, but the question was "what's brawling range", and brawling range is sub 270 meters. In fact, if I wanted to round it properly, I'd say it's below 250 meters. Beyond 270, even your MLs will be dealing reduced damage.

TL;DR: Quirks, and range modules are irrelevant to the discussion of what the combat range is. They only tweak the effective range of a weapon in situational cases. Combat ranges are static.

#11 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

to me there are 3 ranged to the "Brawl"

Short.. 0-120m

Small lasers/pulse, machine guns, and flamers (if they ever get um working right :P)

You are up close and personal it is the in your face brawl, Other weapons that work great in this range are AC-20's and the larger medium laser/pulse weapons. Mechs like the HBK4g and lights, or other fast movers are great for this range.

Medium, 90-270

This is the main brawl range, it is the meat of brawlers, mainly medium lasers/pulse, ac-20's and SRM's. Other weapons can be used, but are not optimal.. This is the classic brawler range. Tons of mechs can fit into this category, Mediums, heavies, assaults and even some lights.. it really is all about build

Long.. 180-400

Long brawlers, To me these are the second line brawlers.. you fight with your medium range brawlers, giving them cover and back up, and help pound the target into submission. You use your angles as cover, verse hiding behind rocks, Or are just in back of your medium brawlers laying the smack down. Weapons like LRM's, PPC's and AC-10's and even large pulse lasers are perfect for this. Fire the LRM's over the head of that atlas ahead of you, wait for opportunities to fire your pin point AC-10 rounds, or other direct fire weapons.

Mechs like catapults, HBK-4J, Trebuchet, Cataphract 4X, ect excel in this range. Typically, these are faster mechs, as they need to cover more ground more often than not to keep out of the firing lanes, but can be a ton of fun when played right, and you have medium and short brawlers to work with.

Now getting other brawlers to work with you.. that is when the fun begins.. But these days so many people are poke and peak, brawlers are in a tough spot. I really hope the re-balance brings out more brawling..

#12 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

I'd agree with the range indicated above. I have a tutorial you may find helpful:

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 August 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

All discussion in regards to ranges is done without factoring in range modules, as they are optional content, and usually not something new players are concerned with. Same goes for quirks. They are a mech modifier to a weapon. However, the weapon on it's own is a 270 meter ranged weapon.

Sure it might be 300 on another one, but the question was "what's brawling range", and brawling range is sub 270 meters. In fact, if I wanted to round it properly, I'd say it's below 250 meters. Beyond 270, even your MLs will be dealing reduced damage.

TL;DR: Quirks, and range modules are irrelevant to the discussion of what the combat range is. They only tweak the effective range of a weapon in situational cases. Combat ranges are static.

I agree with this.

On top of this: 270m range for brawling doesn't happen often hence why most people say within, maybe times it's 100 to 200 meter range where I know my SRM's will not fail to do any damage if he takes 1 step back or what have you.

#14 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

My personal definition of brawl range is usually 300m, though some mechs must get a lot closer (i.e., small pulse laser boats).

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

I figure brawling is anything under about 270m (SRM, AC20, IS ML range).

#16 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

To me, Brawling is not just some class or range increment. Brawling is a choice of combat styles, one that says 'this aint gonna stop till it's over'.

To that end, 'brawling range' is any range in which I can engage my opponent for a length of time. Often this means close range as they try to hide behind cover, but I have brawled at 600 meters and further before.

Brawling range is any range you can trap your target in and still bring the hurt.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 26 August 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#17 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 26 August 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

"Brawling" - verb

well it also can be an adjective, a gerund and a verbal noun (:

i'm brawling - a verb in the -ing form
a brawling build - an adjective
brawling is hard - a gerund
my brawling didn't end well - a verbal noun

B)

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 26 August 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostLeone, on 26 August 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

To me, Brawling is not just some class or range increment. Brawling is a choice of combat styles, one that says 'this aint gonna stop till it's over'.

To that end, 'brawling range' is any range in which I can engage my opponent for a length of time. Often this means close range as they try to hide behind cover, but I have brawled at 600 meters and further before.

Brawling range is any range you can trap your target in and still bring the hurt.

~Leone.

600 meters is a poke fest. Usually brawling indicates short range combat, no chance to duck into cover, and a slug fest that doesn't stop until someone is dead.

At 600 meters I can run away, I can hide behind cover, and it's more of a poke fest than a brawl.

#19 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

Right, unless you catch someone in the open. Not too many maps where you can brawl like that, mostly Alpine peaks and New forest colony, and even then only certain areas, but sometimes I'll meet agreeable mechs who won't mind a ranged brawl fest.

~Leone.

#20 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 August 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

At 600 meters I can run away, I can hide behind cover, and it's more of a poke fest than a brawl.

Well yes and no.. It really depends on the map, and position.. I can think of a few places on caustic, alpine, and Tourmline, that you can do the really long brawls.. I'm sure you know the open areas on either side of the circle (theta) in the desert, or coming up the hill or the lower flat alpine, heck even up before the tower pass is another great spot. On the other side the the chute, or the rarely used area farther to the right of it as you march up the hill, often people use that area to climb up onto the hill above the upper base, but that lower area is a huge wide open area. I know i have had some great battles in that spot when a couple mechs meet, of a only a few left.

A few spots around the crater on caustic too are pretty nice as well.. Most of the other maps don't really have spots like that. Though even the new river city and forest colony do have some open spots like that, but i have yet to have people fight in um.

But like leone said, Brawling is a lot more about a style of combat, verse a range IMO.

interesting topic though :) It does make me wonder what PGI can do to make brawling more appealing. I enjoy the idea of longer fights, lower alpha's and the constant slug fest of a good hot brawl!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users