- - - - -

Returning Player. Should I Start A New Account?

Question Help Me

31 replies to this topic

#1 Race Bannon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:18 AM

Hi guys,

So I set up my current account, actually during Beta I think. I got in the game pretty early, played about two games. At the time I was living in the middle of nowhere with terrible internet/PC set up, and I just got completely demolished by lag and fps problems every game so gave up.

My question is thus; coming back now (with decent set up this time), have I burnt some kind of cadet grace period on my account that I really should re-roll to take advantage of?

I've got 970, 274 C bills at the moment. Downloading the game whilst I'm in work now, so can't login, only on here. Is there some way I can see if I have these new player bonuses still active?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

#2 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:31 AM

Welcome back!

Until a year ago or something, the cadet bonus was huge, then PGI made it smaller.
That cadet bonus still helps at the start, but you just need to make sure you don't spend the cbills unwisely (1).

The cadet bonus is bound to the first 25 matches, but there was a cadet counter reset, so you still have 25 to earn those sweet extra cbills no matter how many matches you did previously.

(1) - By this I mean, don't buy and sell mechs, selling them will give you back almost half (sometimes less) of the amount spent on said mech.
Make sure you find the best mech for you using the trial mechs that are changed every 2 weeks or something.
Then if you believe you have found a few candidates, come back to the forums to ask for advise. You'll find this New Player section very helpful.

Edited by FlipOver, 26 August 2015 - 02:36 AM.

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:34 AM

There was an account reset a short while ago. Your new Cadet Bonus is still waiting for you.

When you log into the game, check under achievements, and you'll see that you do not have the "Knight Errant" title, which is given to pilots after they've finished all 25 of their cadet matches.

Also, If you hover over your username in this thread, you will see that you are listed under the "Recruit" group. Meaning you can only post in this section of the forums, until you finish your 25 cadet matches. It also tells us that your cadet bonus is still waiting for you.

View PostFlipOver, on 26 August 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

The cadet bonus is bound to the first 25 matches, so if you did 2, you still have 23 to earn those sweet extra cbills.

The account reset should have also reset that back to 25 matches, not 23.

#4 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:36 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 August 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

The account reset should have also reset that back to 25 matches, not 23.

Forgot about that IraqiWalker, I'll correct my previous post.

Thank you!

Edited by FlipOver, 26 August 2015 - 02:38 AM.

#5 Race Bannon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. Is there any way I can check I still have a cadet bonus?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't even see the second post before I replied! Got it, thanks for the information guys. As long as I'm not hamstrung by having an ancient account I barely used :)

Thanks, see you in game!

Edited by Race Bannon, 26 August 2015 - 02:37 AM.

#6 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

View PostRace Bannon, on 26 August 2015 - 02:37 AM, said:

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. Is there any way I can check I still have a cadet bonus?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't even see the second post before I replied! Got it, thanks for the information guys. As long as I'm not hamstrung by having an ancient account I barely used :)

Thanks, see you in game!

Looking forward to see you there as well.

You also got in at a perfect time. A new matchmaker algorithm has been implemented, and it should help place you in fairer matches. The players are now divided into 5 skill tiers. (new players are placed in the upper tier 4 section), going from 5 to 1, with 1 being the best. As a tier 4 player, you are incapable of being matched against tier 1 players, so the start shouldn't be as rocky for you as it was back then.

Also, there are no stock trial mechs. All of them are upgraded. We also have clan omni mechs, and the trial versions need some work, because they are in stock form, but they come with clan tech, so you won't be hurting with them.

#7 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

As far as your Cadet bonus goes, a while back PGI implemented an achievement system. The cadet bonus was broken up and incorporated into that. To check on it, once you're in game on the left hand side are tabs. Click the one that says ACHIEVMENTS. It will pull up a scrollable list. The cadet bonuses are at the very bottom of the list.

Welcome back to MWO. Hope to see you on the battlefield.

#8 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

You seem familiar. Did you play MW4 at MWL?

#9 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

Amateur tip (I would say pro, but...I'm not): don't buy a mech until you've played with enough trial mechs to know which one you want to Master, or at least get 3 variants for to Elite. Elited mechs play significantly different than those with no skills, or even full Basics.

#10 Race Bannon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Mailin, working day almost over so I'll check that shortly :)

Fenris, afraid no. I played MW1-4, only ever played multiplayer in Lan Parties. Which was always a blast.

I've been doing research into what starting Mech to go for. I'm leaning towards a Hunchback chassis, and would like to be IS come CW. But will definitely (try) be patient in finding my first.

Thanks again all, good to see the community is receptive to new players.

#11 Bradleyusm

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

Also, feel free to jump on some of the public teamspeak servers and ask advice. Most people are willing to help. Comstar NA na1.mech-connect.net is a good one. Typically some guys up top in the new player area will help.

#12 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

View PostRace Bannon, on 26 August 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

I've been doing research into what starting Mech to go for. I'm leaning towards a Hunchback chassis, and would like to be IS come CW. But will definitely (try) be patient in finding my first.

It sounds strange if you've been researching which mechs are most effective, but I was not unhappy with my first choice of an Orion (even though I didn't follow my own advice on the trial mechs for very long). I know they're not meta-mechs, but they're definitely tanky (or as tanky as you can be in this game), with decent firepower and a variety of options for ballistics, energy, or missiles. One of them even comes with a 300 XL. They're kind of like big, slightly slower Hunchbacks, I guess, so if you like the HBK, try an ON1 out as well. Just for fun.

Also of note: Any trial mech XP you earn applies to the same variant, champion and non. You just can't use the XP or customize the mech until you buy one, but you can build up XP to spend as soon as you do.

Edited by Torezu, 26 August 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:13 PM

The Hunchback is once more a very viable chassis and very inexpensive to kit out properly. Whichever variant you buy, check out its quirks before you buy. Some favor a specific weapon, others a specific type like energy weapons.

#14 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

Welcome back!!!

metamechs.com - peruse for reference on current meta

#15 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

Grid Iron is a popular Hunchy hero if you're willing to spend some real money. Not on sale at the moment though, and most of us recommend not spending MC at full price if you can help it.

Also just missed the mastery pack sale, although mastery packs remain a good deal since they include mech bays, premium time, and other bonuses. They're usually some of the better deals around, assuming the bundle comes with variants you would have bought anyway.

I'd keep the account, play your cadet bonus matches, and spend your first C-bills wisely. Inner Sphere XL engines are usually a waste (except in Lights, which NEED the speed), since they almost double the cost of some mechs and give you terrible survivability for your trouble. Standard engine Hunchies though are pretty solid little mechs, and different variants can give you different play styles (sniper, laser boat, AC20 brawler, missiles, etc.).

Have fun, play lots of games, ask questions, ignore the trolls, and finally...

... CW is still considered beta, and is really a long-term, endgame project at this point in time. Many of the CW groups are organized, highly skilled, and possess all the best gear to bring to their matches. The game has a hefty learning curve as it is, and CW is a whole different kettle of fish compared to the standard game queue. It may take a few months to get you as a pilot ready for CW and to get your mechs purchased, equipped, mastered, etc.

With a bit of luck, the CW scene might be a bit more popular and fully supported by the time you're ready. But who knows when the next CW update is coming :)

Edited by Luscious Dan, 26 August 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostRace Bannon, on 26 August 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

Thanks Mailin, working day almost over so I'll check that shortly :)

Fenris, afraid no. I played MW1-4, only ever played multiplayer in Lan Parties. Which was always a blast.

The Hunchback is currently the number 1 recommended mech for new players. Every variant does something, and does it really well, and it will help you experiment with all weapon systems. I usually recommend the 4SP to new players, since it lacks the giant hunches, but if you have a play style you prefer, pick the hunchback that fits it, and you're golden.

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

It's hard to go wrong with the HBK's as your first mechs. the cost is really the huge bonus, along with being able to really use every weapon in the game. For me, the 4H, 4SP, and 4P give the player the most options to play with every weapon in the game.. If you really enjoy them the 4G and grid iron are high on the must get list, and of course the 4J is one of the best LRM skirmishers aka second line long brawlers around.

But like the other guy said, check your achievements, you will see if you earned any.. if not now is a great time to start, the bonus c-bills per match with this event is nothing to sneeze at!

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

Key question: Do you have any gear, skill investments, etc., in the old account that you want to hold on to?

If so, then keep it and drive on.

If not, then start fresh.

And welcome back!

#19 Race Bannon

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:37 AM

Wow thanks for all the replies guys, interesting reading. I managed to get about 10 games in last night. Verdict: I'm terrible in Heavy and Assault at the moment, and anything slow that required tactical positioning and movement. I somehow always got absolutely swarmed by smaller mechs pecking away at me.

My most successful game in the trial mechs so far was definitely the Spider (Can't remember what version is free currently). I stayed alive, team won, I got seven assists and was a general menace all game. Also had some results in the Stormcrow (I think?). So I'm definitely still favouring starting with a light/medium. When do the trial mechs change? And is there a list of what is due in the next rotation?

Thanks again guys,
Tom

View PostTheRAbbi, on 26 August 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

Key question: Do you have any gear, skill investments, etc., in the old account that you want to hold on to?

If so, then keep it and drive on.

If not, then start fresh.

And welcome back!

From what I could tell, I had absolutely nothing, except almost 1 mil C bills. Not sure if that was a substantial amount worth keeping the account for or not, but I'm currently on about 5 mil. So I guess I'm somewhat committed now :)

Edited by Race Bannon, 27 August 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#20 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:15 AM

View PostRace Bannon, on 27 August 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

Wow thanks for all the replies guys, interesting reading. I managed to get about 10 games in last night. Verdict: I'm terrible in Heavy and Assault at the moment, and anything slow that required tactical positioning and movement. I somehow always got absolutely swarmed by smaller mechs pecking away at me.

My most successful game in the trial mechs so far was definitely the Spider (Can't remember what version is free currently). I stayed alive, team won, I got seven assists and was a general menace all game. Also had some results in the Stormcrow (I think?). So I'm definitely still favouring starting with a light/medium. When do the trial mechs change? And is there a list of what is due in the next rotation?

Thanks again guys,
Tom

Trials are no longer the same as what you were used to. Now there is only trial version of a chassis. Before it used to be that they rotated stock mechs, however, with the trials being custom builds now, they are their own unique thing.

The SDR-5K is the one you were in. 4 MGs, ERLL, and loads of JJs. It's a fun mech, and a real thorn in the enemy team's side.

I don't recall when the next switch in the rotation will be, but if you head on to smurfy, you can see all the trial mechs and what they have (every trial mech has (C) after it's designation)
Or you can go into the Store page in-game, and check the champion battlemechs, [(C) stands for Champion, all trial mechs are champions, and they generate 30% more XP]

View PostRace Bannon, on 27 August 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

From what I could tell, I had absolutely nothing, except almost 1 mil C bills. Not sure if that was a substantial amount worth keeping the account for or not, but I'm currently on about 5 mil. So I guess I'm somewhat committed now :)

1 million is better than zero. So you're good there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users