Usefull Rifles Without Breaking Lore Too Much.

17 replies to this topic

Poll: How should Rifles be balanced? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Extra component crit chance or extra internal structure damage?

1. Crit chance. (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

2. Extra damage to internal structure. (12 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Both. But the values on both are lower than just choosing one of them. (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

Should there be splash damage?

1. Yes. Splash damage like the Clan ER PPC along with crit chances to components on splashed sections. (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Nope. Just critical chance for the unprotected target section that is hit. (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. I choose extra structural damage in the last question. (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Which critical chance method should we get?

1. 1st choice. Whatever you crit is a goner. Trust me. Easy to get a crit but more limited amount of crits possible. (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. 2nd choice. Hardcore Shrapnel. You will crit something. Lady luck rules. You could get the insanely jawdroppingly huge jackpot or get a lacklustre hit. (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. 3rd choice. More potential damage than 1st choice and more stable than 2nd choice. The middleground i think. (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. I'd rather have extra internal structure damage. (14 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

As you know the Rifles in Battletech have lot of disadvantages when compared to Autocannons.
- Low velocity shells.
- Does -3 damage against mech armor. Light rifles becomes harmless against mech armor.
- Each shell weighs a lot so the ammo count per tonn is low.
- No special ammunition types.
- AC's have better range and firerate. They are Autocannons after all.

Here is a link to sarna- http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Light_Rifle

I've found a way for Rifles to become an alternative to other ballistic weapons without breaking lore much.
As a matter of fact i wont even need to touch heat, range, weight, critical slots.
Damage has only gotten 0.5 damage adjustment on each rifle. Explanation for that a few lines down.

Let's cover the most important changes first. I'll fatten up letters and put in spoiler buttons to make it easier for you guys to find what interrests you.
For those that worry rifles will outperform LBX AC's look in the spoiler button below titled -
But won't the rifles become superior to LBX AC's and MG's?

Slight -3 Damage adjustment.
Taking away the -3 damage to mech armor may sound like a good idea, but that would break the lore too much for PGI tastes.
So let's just adjust the -3 damage into -2.5 damage since even an MG can scratch paint on an armored target.
An explosive shell could do at least 0.5 damage to armor. Better than a light rifle that does no damage whatsoever to armor at least.

Reasonable ammunition adjustment
Spoiler

Rifles most important quality. (3 ways to do it)
Spoiler

Should Rifle shells do splash damage to a target?
Spoiler

If you don't like the idea of splash damage or + crit chance how about this?
Spoiler

Shell Velocity
Spoiler

But won't the rifles become superior to LBX AC's and MG's?
Spoiler

How do we explain this lorewise?
AC shells would be more of the todays real life modern armor piercing variety while Rifle shells are more of brute force explosive nature.
High Explosive shells causes a lot of havoc amongst unprotected components because of all the fragments flying all over the place.
I'd say that ain't much change lorewise. AC's still have all the advantages mentioned in the lore.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 31 August 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#2 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:46 AM

Good ideas, this way rifles could be useful but quite different from ACs.

#3 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:50 AM

Hm, how to phrase this... what lights need is a real ballistic weapon with more damage per shot than the AC2 but about the same amount of tons and ammo.

Lights don't really need a dps weapon as it is too dangerous to stare at the enemy to do damage, they can use PPCs but they are too hot for constant usage even with many DHS , so that is what they need a 4~5 pin point damage bali weapon that can be boated ( 2 on a light ) but as we have AC5 at 8t+ammo ( 10t to make it worthwhile to take ) we would need something about 4~5 tons per weapon and 2~3 tons of ammo for 2 guns , the down side might be slower rate of fire and less range than AC5.

As OPs suggestion, a longer range pinpoint crit seeking weapon is kinda desirable, but at that point unless it's 1 heat like the gauss you would rather blow up the compartment with lasers and extra DHS, for higher dps with the left over weight, rather than crit seek with a low dps ( against armor ) weapon.

I know it sucks but with out a RAC ( single one for lights ) or such a 4~5 ton low heat bali. weapon doing 4~5 damage per shot at shorter ranges there is no point going bali on a light, as is seen if taking an ac2 for fun..
We kinda need a heavy small cannon class, like an ac2 that reduced range and rate of fire for damage.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 28 August 2015 - 01:54 AM.

#4 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

Thank you guys. I thought this thread would be buried too. This will keep it around for a day longer at least.....i hope.
If you got any feedback on crit chance, firerate, velocity i'd appriciate it. I'm totally in the dark when it comes to firerate especially.

View PostNik Reaper, on 28 August 2015 - 01:50 AM, said:

Hm, how to phrase this... what lights need is a real ballistic weapon with more damage per shot than the AC2 but about the same amount of tons and ammo.

Lights don't really need a dps weapon as it is too dangerous to stare at the enemy to do damage, they can use PPCs but they are too hot for constant usage even with many DHS , so that is what they need a 4~5 pin point damage bali weapon that can be boated ( 2 on a light ) but as we have AC5 at 8t+ammo ( 10t to make it worthwhile to take ) we would need something about 4~5 tons per weapon and 2~3 tons of ammo for 2 guns , the down side might be slower rate of fire and less range than AC5.

I think the Light Autocannon 2/5 fits that description fairly well. Link- http://www.sarna.net...ight_Autocannon
One of the goals i had when i made this version of the rifle was that it would not be necessary to boat it to make it effective no matter the caliber.
Even a single Light Rifle should be decent threat to a damaged mech with exposed internals.

View PostNik Reaper, on 28 August 2015 - 01:50 AM, said:

As OPs suggestion, a longer range pinpoint crit seeking weapon is kinda desirable, but at that point unless it's 1 heat like the gauss you would rather blow up the compartment with lasers and extra DHS, for higher dps with the left over weight, rather than crit seek with a low dps ( against armor ) weapon.

Light rifle has 1 heat, medium 2 and heavy 4 according to Sarna. So they are efficient heatwise. Especially since they have a lower firerate than the AC's.

Most would go for a bundle of lasers to take out the whole section of the mech rather than take out the internal components such as weapons, ammo and heatsinks like you say.
But when you face an angry heavily injured assault mech with exposed internals 1 of these rifles might do the job better than a bundle of lasers.
It because an Atlas has 42 hitpoints of internal structure. Using lasers to get through all that could take a decently long time if he torso twists a lot.
But with a single rifle shell you have a good chance to remove big guns that the Atlas might have in that torso. All it takes is a single shell.

Oh yeah.....i got really good news. I just figured out 2 possibly 3 new ways to calculate critical hit chance for the Rifles.
I'll add them to the OP when i'm done doing the math.

#5 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

Good stuff Spleen.

#6 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

I've added another question in the poll and 2 new ways to roll for critical damage is now explained in the original post.

View PostTheArisen, on 28 August 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

Good stuff Spleen.

Thanks. Do you happen to know of anyone with a good head for mathematics?
I want to figure out how many crits an average hit from a Hardcore Shrapnel shell would work out.

#7 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

I'd definitely go with structure damage, but to be honest I'd prefer a flat bonus to structure damage for the LBX and MGs too. I don't like the way crits work in this game. Instead of a penalty to armour, just let it do x amount of damage and then add the structure damage bonus to that.

How about letting the heavy rifle do splash damage to represent some sort of large internal explosion, while letting the light rifle do full damage to a single component?

As for how to calculate how big the bonus to structure damage should be, I think you have to do a few tests with the RVN-4X vs RVN-2X or the Blackjack 1X vs Blackjack 1, for example. Figure out how long it takes for them to destroy a medium mech's CT with only lasers, and then replace lasers with a combination of lasers and light rifles. Ideally, it should only take slightly longer to destroy a mech with a combination of lasers and light rifles compared to only light rifles. I don't really want to do the math, because this is just a hypothetical discussion anyway. But laser boats should be somewhat better at attacking fresh targets, while mechs with a combination of lasers and light rifles should be somewhat better at attacking damaged targets. The difference should not be too big, otherwise mechs with light rifles are too vulnerable in 1 v1 engagements.

That's my little take on it. Very vague, but I never spend much time looking at exact numbers in MWO anyway, unless I'm uncertain whether something would actually work. :)

#8 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 28 August 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

I'd definitely go with structure damage, but to be honest I'd prefer a flat bonus to structure damage for the LBX and MGs too. I don't like the way crits work in this game. Instead of a penalty to armour, just let it do x amount of damage and then add the structure damage bonus to that.

How about letting the heavy rifle do splash damage to represent some sort of large internal explosion, while letting the light rifle do full damage to a single component?

As for how to calculate how big the bonus to structure damage should be, I think you have to do a few tests with the RVN-4X vs RVN-2X or the Blackjack 1X vs Blackjack 1, for example. Figure out how long it takes for them to destroy a medium mech's CT with only lasers, and then replace lasers with a combination of lasers and light rifles. Ideally, it should only take slightly longer to destroy a mech with a combination of lasers and light rifles compared to only light rifles. I don't really want to do the math, because this is just a hypothetical discussion anyway. But laser boats should be somewhat better at attacking fresh targets, while mechs with a combination of lasers and light rifles should be somewhat better at attacking damaged targets. The difference should not be too big, otherwise mechs with light rifles are too vulnerable in 1 v1 engagements.

That's my little take on it. Very vague, but I never spend much time looking at exact numbers in MWO anyway, unless I'm uncertain whether something would actually work. :)

Extra internal structure damage. It should be much easier for PGI to balance. I'll work on it since i want good alternatives for all ideas.
I still prefer crit seeker rifles since they sound so wild. You never know the mood of the shell in the firing chamber.
As for heavy rifles doing splash damage to internals. I figured all rifles would do splash damage actually.

When it comes to mechs equipped with rifles being too vurnerable i don't worry at all.
Reason is that i wanted them to be weapons worked best alongside other weapons that stripped armor first.
Like MG's are beasts when they get under the armor.

I want the Rifles to be like that but without the need to boat them. They are supplementary weapons only.

#9 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:56 AM

First try at extra structural damage for Rifles. With size increase you get 5 damage to internal structure in addition to the base damage.
But remember that the rifles have a -2.5 damage against armor.

DAT = damage against armored target. DUT= damage against unarmored target
Light Rifle- 0.5 DAT / 3+5=8 DUT
Medium- 3.5 DAT / 6+10=16 DUT
Heavy- 6.5 DAT / 9+15=24 DUT

I don't know if this is too powerfull or not. Chance to cause crits follow the normal standard.
In other words same chance to crit as a laser. I'll add this to the OP.

#10 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

Yeah, I would agree that light rifles and ACs are exactly what we need, and if we got to 3068 , we would have light engines and IS ermid and there would be balance X) .
Oh and by that point we would have MG arrays , good times :) .

Edited by Nik Reaper, 29 August 2015 - 04:11 AM.

#11 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:08 AM

Yeah I want the timeline moved up too.... /sigh.

#12 Hashocky

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:16 AM

I really just want to fit more canons on my mechs.

#13 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 29 August 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

Yeah, I would agree that light rifles and ACs are exactly what we need, and if we got to 3068 , we would have light engines and IS ermid and there would be balance X) .
Oh and by that point we would have MG arrays , good times :) .

MG arrays. That's a promising weapon indeed. Speaking of MG's any feedback on the Hardcore Shrapnel crit method?
The max amount of crits this method can cause sounds good but i think i might have aimed a bit low. Maybe double the amount of shrapnel per 3 points of damage would be better?

Regardless if the Rifles are put into MWO i hope their sound makes a bigger BOOM sound than anything else.

#14 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

Rifles are canonically available, and honestly, you could just halve the damage reduction vs. armor to have yourself an easily fit MWO ballistic weapon series. Adjust ammo the same way you have ACs and they'll still have lower ammo/ton than AC's, tweak velocity and give them 2x maximum range.

It'll also mean the Magshot in later tech still has a go, since it'd have Gauss-style damage falloff, and of course much later the LAC/Protomech AC.

#15 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

View Postwanderer, on 03 September 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

Rifles are canonically available, and honestly, you could just halve the damage reduction vs. armor to have yourself an easily fit MWO ballistic weapon series. Adjust ammo the same way you have ACs and they'll still have lower ammo/ton than AC's, tweak velocity and give them 2x maximum range.

It'll also mean the Magshot in later tech still has a go, since it'd have Gauss-style damage falloff, and of course much later the LAC/Protomech AC.

You necroed my rifle suggestion thread Wanderer? Why.....thank you. XD
There are several problems with this suggestion. No offence meant. But i totally agree with the ammunition adjustments.

1st problem. The developers want to stick close to the lore.
That's why i made the Rifles this way while sticking to the TT game stats almost perfectly except for that 0.5 damage adjustment to the armor penalty....
...that was mostly since even MG bullets can scrath paint off armor plating.
The rifles became outdated was because of less range than AC's, ammo capacity, low velocity, no special ammo and just had problems penetrating the armor plating.

2nd problem. Let's say we got the armor penalty halved. That means a light rifle would do 1.5 damage against armor and 3 against internal structure.
Even if the range was doubled so a light rifle had the exact same range as the AC2 that light rifle still would not be worth it's weight.
Reason is quite simple.
- It's firerate would still be lower than the AC2.
- If shell velocity is tweaked it will still have a lower firerate and velocity than the AC2 which means there will be targeting problems.
If you miss with an AC2 it's no biggie because of it's firerate, but rifles don't have high firerates. If we make the rifles firerate faster the rifles might as well be AC's.
- Even if it hits an unarmored section of a target it's only 50% more damage than an AC2 shell.
But with less firerate it becomes lacklustre even when you compare it with the AC2 which is currently the one of the 2 worst weapons in MWO alongside the flamer.

Another reason why i made the rifles like this is because i want them to have a niche for themselves.
Look at the MG's for example. They are typical niche weapons. They're nearly useless against armor.
But once that armor is gone 2-3-4 MG's can really tear apart those internals thanks to their high firerate, higher critical chance and that 1350% critical damage multiplier.

I wanted rifles to be able to do what MG's can at longer ranges in just a single shell. Nearly useless against armor for their weight but once the armor comes off....

Edited by Spleenslitta, 26 October 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#16 Xilacnog

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSofia

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Well, they could change the AC2 tonnage to 4 or 3.

Either by reducing the tonnage on the weapon itself or by giving quirks to the mechs. Light Mechs get a 50% reduction in AC2 weight. Medium Mechs get a 70 or 75 reduction...

I don't care much about the lore, since JJs for instance don't have the same range as the TT rules, same as the speed rating for each engine, if I'm not mistaken..

#17 7R1P0D

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:08 AM

Imma necro this just because the huge gap between ac2s and Mgs in both weight and role has been really annoying me

I really think that just completely removing the -3 damage penalty light rifles have (seriously, how is this a thing when nobody bats an eye at MGs working just fine against super advanced mech armor) would be perfectly acceptable. A lot of the changes in the game already have a huge impact on how it plays compared to the tabletop, like ac20s only having under 2x the damage per second of ac2s instead of 10x the damage per second of ac2s they should have (and the game being much better because of it)

Right now as a light mech or light medium, or just a mech that can fit a couple of ballistics somewhere without them being your primary (like the battlemasters), you can basically choose between putting on some MGs that are useless 90% of the time unless your force yourself to be a brawler at super close range or an AC2 or two that weigh way too much and have too much of a niche role to be used as anything other than a primary support weapon at super long range.

Making light rifles fill the role of being a medium range (360 meter effective) weapon that has slightly more dps than an ac2 and can be paired well with mechs that run medium/large pulse lasers but also have a ballistic slot that they want to fill to increase their heat efficiency without entirely turning their medium/large pulse lasers into secondary weapons for their AC2s or force themselves to rush into 100 meter ranges at all times in order for all the MGs and MG ammo they bothered mounting to not just be a waste of tonnage

To give light rifles their own drawbacks instead of just making them a gun that does 1.5 the dps of an ac2 at half the range for half the weight, you can take the fact that in the tabletop they have pretty pathetic potential damage per ton of ammo and make them have 30 rounds of ammo per ton for a total of 90 potential damage per ton (compared to the ac2's 150 damage per ton and the ac10s 200 damage per ton), meaning that mechs mounting them have to sacrifice the tonnage they saved by taking a light rifle over an ac2 by filling their mech with almost twice as much ammo, which has it's own drawbacks

TLDR: completely removing the -3 damage penalty on light rifles to make them a viable and needed addition to the game would be less of a drastic step away from the tabletop than the massive buffs the lower caliber autocannon weapons already have (and makes sense realistically since MGs have no problem dealing with mech armor), and making the light rifle be a shorter ranged higher damage version of the ac2 that requires you to risk filling your mech with tons of ammo because of it's low damage per ton of ammo ratio could add an interesting risk vs reward factor to using such an "outdated" weapon

Edited by 7R1P0D, 21 February 2016 - 07:12 AM.

#18 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

question;
lol, Since when does MWO creators and 90%+ players actually give a damn about lore?
This weapon actually looks like it would fit real well in MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users