Timberwolf: So Many Lasers

25 replies to this topic

#1 timff8

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:17 PM

I've been playing with this build for a few days in my head and I want to know if it's as stupid as I think or as cool as I think. It has a ridiculous amount of hardpoints and Clan weapons are just too efficient.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8ad24b83ef6bb48

Assuming the omnipod quirks stack the way I think they do this guy will have a huge increase in beam duration and cooldown, but I'm hoping the extra heatsinks will keep me fighting for a long time. I've seen many builds similar to this but they tend to keep it at 6 CERMLs to keep the quirks to 8 or 12%, so I'm trying to get a bead on whether 33% more laser is worth 8 to 4% more duration.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

Drop the Active probe and put a targeting computer in there instead. You don't need the C-AP. Your LRMs are only used as support weapons here, so they should be used in the 180-600 meter range, where C-AP doesn't handle ECM anyways, and a targeting computer will actually benefit your lasers significantly more. At the ranges where ECM will affect you, you have all the lasers you need to kill the mech, or take out it's ECM (Hint: It's in the left torso on all mechs except the Kitfox) It even adds some reduction in Target Info Gathering anyways. Think of it as a C-AP lite, but with extra range, damage, and crit chance for your lasers.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 26 August 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#3 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:23 PM

Those other builds keep it to 6 ERMLs due to ghost heat, not just because of duration.

#4 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

Drop the LRM or get at least twice the ammunition.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 26 August 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#5 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

I too would say drop the lrms they arn't helping with the amount of ammo your carrying and the lrm "bunny ears" make your timber wolf's side torsos more exposed to take fire

For laser vomit a fun fave of mine is 7 medium pulse lasers shot usually in a group of 4 then 3 to avoid ghost heat. It's a nasty build

Edited by Chocowolf, 26 August 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#6 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

6mpl, 7mpl, or 2lpl3erml are the good timby laser vomit builds

#7 timff8

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

@BlackhawkSC:
I'm aware of the ghostheat I'm more concerned with the duration versus firepower; I can always stagger groups to avoid heat, but I can't play with my duration.

@Marduk and Chocowolf:
At what point then would you say an LRM has enough ammo? I figure 3 tons gives me 27 salvos which is plenty for a support weapon; I know the buy-in weight is a bit high but given how weigh-efficient lasers are it seems justifiable.

Edited by timff8, 26 August 2015 - 10:16 PM.

#8 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

View Posttimff8, on 26 August 2015 - 10:15 PM, said:

@BlackhawkSC:
I'm aware of the ghostheat I'm more concerned with the duration versus firepower; I can always stagger groups to avoid heat, but I can't play with my duration.

@Marduk and Chocowolf:
At what point then would you say an LRM has enough ammo? I figure 3 tons gives me 27 salvos which is plenty for a support weapon; I know the buy-in weight is a bit high but given how weigh-efficient lasers are it seems justifiable.

it depends on the role your looking to play but looking at this loadout as most of your weapons are a medium-close range it would be far more beneficial to stay with the laser vomit and add in more heatsinks. As I mentioned when you add lrms it makes the side torsos a much larger target for the enemy to shoot at which is something you do not want in brawling range. your devoting quite a bit of tonnage for a weapon system that wouldn't be helpful when it comes time to use your med lasers.

For me I usually carry somewhere close to about 1000 missles in my lrm mechs which isn't too much these days. I've only really got a madd dog that still got some lrm 5s but it's rare seeing me in them.

Personally I'd swap the Lrms for Srms since your build is focused on that range that would be a more effective build however this loadout is still quite hot and you would have to watch your fire groups to manage it and not pick up ghost heat

Also a longer beam duration is actually a bad thing meaning your beams will last longer needing to stay on target longer to deal the full damage of the laser.

I'm gonna link you to this site which should help when it comes to finding some loadouts for your timberwolf

http://metamechs.com/

Edited by Chocowolf, 26 August 2015 - 10:42 PM.

#9 timff8

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:59 PM

@Chocowolf:

I was actually at Metamechs and that's why I was working on this build; in the Timber master guide there's a build for Hybrid LRMs hence my build; I was essentially putting more laser emphasis on the build as opposed to 6 lasers and Artemis. I'm not trying to lean-in with a close-range build I'm trying to play a medium-range build with the most efficient weapons.

I'm essentially comparing such a build to the 2xLPL, 4xCERML build. This build has limited range and has to stagger fire, but I still throw similar laser damage with 23 DHS. The benefit is supporting fire I can throw with the LRMs/

I know the LRM 20s certainly make your torso bigger but LRM 10s don't seem to make them any bigger than say an SRM 6 does.
(Also yes duration on lasers is bad hence why I'm not sure if want to take the TBR-A left torso).

Edited by timff8, 26 August 2015 - 11:07 PM.

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:07 PM

Folks, dropping the LRMs accomplishes nothing. Did you guys even look at the slot count? He would end up with several free tons, and no slots to use them. Might as well slap the LRMs in there, to give him something to use at long range before closing into his proper engagement ranges. Or to pressure targets into ducking back into cover as he closes on them.

#11 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:17 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 26 August 2015 - 11:07 PM, said:

Folks, dropping the LRMs accomplishes nothing. Did you guys even look at the slot count? He would end up with several free tons, and no slots to use them. Might as well slap the LRMs in there, to give him something to use at long range before closing into his proper engagement ranges. Or to pressure targets into ducking back into cover as he closes on them.

yes he would run into slotage problems and free tonnage if he just removed the lrms. however he can upgrade the lasers to pulses or some up to larges as an option. It's not a bad mech I've certainly seen worse but with the way it's setup it's quite a hot loadout heat management wise which could prove to be a problem

Best thing I would say is drop with it and see how it drives see how it handles on different maps and you can then see if the build works for you or not

Edited by Chocowolf, 26 August 2015 - 11:24 PM.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:36 PM

actually I haven't played TBR sine the new variant arived for c-bills. That 3 E on that mount point, they feel dirty. The metawolf was always evil enough but granting these 3 E's in such a high location. Thats overkill.

#13 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:45 PM

View Posttimff8, on 26 August 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

I've been playing with this build for a few days in my head and I want to know if it's as stupid as I think or as cool as I think. It has a ridiculous amount of hardpoints and Clan weapons are just too efficient.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8ad24b83ef6bb48

Assuming the omnipod quirks stack the way I think they do this guy will have a huge increase in beam duration and cooldown, but I'm hoping the extra heatsinks will keep me fighting for a long time. I've seen many builds similar to this but they tend to keep it at 6 CERMLs to keep the quirks to 8 or 12%, so I'm trying to get a bead on whether 33% more laser is worth 8 to 4% more duration.

you can put an lpl and a heatsink in the tbr-s torso instead of a medium laser and lrms

the tbr-a torso has pretty nasty negative laser duration/heat gen quirks especially if you stack it with other laser omnipods, i don't recommend using it unless you intend to be a poke monster and slap 2lpls and an erml up there and hide behind a rock most of the time. this is effective, but you need to build for it specifically to really get the most out of it. if you want to rock lpls i'd recommend using the tbr-prime left torso and the tbr-s right torso, they're still great hardpoints without the nasty negative quirks

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...34f15aa3041660b

your goal should be something similar to this, minimal negative energy quirks and a good mix of lpl, erml and heatsinks. since i guess you're stuck with the tbr-s ct (the tbr-c and tbr-d have energy hardpoints in the ct) you won't have a blank side which is useful for rolling armor but this should still be serviceable

by the way lrms aren't really worth the tonnage or the waste of a good energy hardpoint, it's better to just put more lasers on target

View PostLily from animove, on 26 August 2015 - 11:36 PM, said:

actually I haven't played TBR sine the new variant arived for c-bills. That 3 E on that mount point, they feel dirty. The metawolf was always evil enough but granting these 3 E's in such a high location. Thats overkill.

its ugly and pay-to-win crap but if you stack it too hard with the arm laser hard points its not a great setup cuz the lasers burn forever and it's way too hot, you kinda gotta build specifically to try to be The New Stalker 4N and play that way for it to really work

alternatively you can pay pgi ninety american dollars to get ebon jaguars which have similarly insane energy hardpoints to the tbr-a Death Shoulder but that's neither here nor there

Edited by Richter Kerensky, 26 August 2015 - 11:47 PM.

#14 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:15 AM

one last thing: i hope those back armor values were the default or something because you shouldn't really ever need more than ten back armor

#15 timff8

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:23 AM

@Richter:

Yeah I just hit Max Armor; I wasn't going to play with it when I could just keep track of the total.

Been playing with the LPLs they just seem so damn heavy to me. I keep thinking 6 tons is too many; and I'm loathe to drop away from a hybrid LRM role.

This is crap so far but working on it:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69dfc18bba937f4

#16 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:35 AM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 26 August 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

you can put an lpl and a heatsink in the tbr-s torso instead of a medium laser and lrms

the tbr-a torso has pretty nasty negative laser duration/heat gen quirks especially if you stack it with other laser omnipods, i don't recommend using it unless you intend to be a poke monster and slap 2lpls and an erml up there and hide behind a rock most of the time. this is effective, but you need to build for it specifically to really get the most out of it. if you want to rock lpls i'd recommend using the tbr-prime left torso and the tbr-s right torso, they're still great hardpoints without the nasty negative quirks

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...34f15aa3041660b

your goal should be something similar to this, minimal negative energy quirks and a good mix of lpl, erml and heatsinks. since i guess you're stuck with the tbr-s ct (the tbr-c and tbr-d have energy hardpoints in the ct) you won't have a blank side which is useful for rolling armor but this should still be serviceable

by the way lrms aren't really worth the tonnage or the waste of a good energy hardpoint, it's better to just put more lasers on target

its ugly and pay-to-win crap but if you stack it too hard with the arm laser hard points its not a great setup cuz the lasers burn forever and it's way too hot, you kinda gotta build specifically to try to be The New Stalker 4N and play that way for it to really work

alternatively you can pay pgi ninety american dollars to get ebon jaguars which have similarly insane energy hardpoints to the tbr-a Death Shoulder but that's neither here nor there

EBJ is more squishy and has no JJ's. High mounted hardpoints + JJ in CW is just an epic thing to have. very epic. probably too epic.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 August 2015 - 12:37 AM.

#17 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:44 AM

View Posttimff8, on 27 August 2015 - 12:23 AM, said:

@Richter:

Yeah I just hit Max Armor; I wasn't going to play with it when I could just keep track of the total.

Been playing with the LPLs they just seem so damn heavy to me. I keep thinking 6 tons is too many; and I'm loathe to drop away from a hybrid LRM role.

This is crap so far but working on it:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69dfc18bba937f4

a single lpl deals 13 damage they're crazy good. drop the lrms, add an extra erml or two, put on more heatsinks and learn to manage your heat and you'll do way better

Edited by Richter Kerensky, 27 August 2015 - 12:45 AM.

#18 timff8

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

@Richter:
The tonnage on them just bothers me; CERML or CERLLs do more damage/ton and take up less critical slots. I get that their duration pairs well with CERMLs I just hate how heavy they are for it; if they were 4 tons I'd be all over them, but as is I'd rather take a CERML and a CERLL both, and still save a ton.

I get the idea that, generally speaking, LRMs aren't as good as other all-in builds; I am trying to maximize a build with them anyhow. That's not to say I don't think the 100% laser vomit sucks, I just don't want to play it.

How do you typically balance heat? Do you have a general rule you follow or is it just a pile-on philosophy?

Edited by timff8, 27 August 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#19 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

View Posttimff8, on 27 August 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

How do you typically balance heat? Do you have a general rule you follow or is it just a pile-on philosophy?

Fire weapons in groups from one side, then the other. Always have one group be a bit colder than the other, make that the one you will spam more often. So you can fire it while your heat is rising without popping the heat cap. Always have chain fire groups set up. Bring coolshot just in case you need it. Use weapons in their optimal ranges. So those LPLs should be fired far less frequently if you are in short range combat, since they generate too much heat.

Oh, and NEVER alpha strike in a brawl with that build. Unless it's 1v1, you know you will get the kill, and there are no other enemies around to kill you when you are overheated.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 27 August 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#20 timff8

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

@IraqiWalker:

I know how to stagger groups, I was more referring to # of heat sinks versus weapons. I generally like to have a pattern to follow

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users