- - - - -

Disappointed Returning Player

24 replies to this topic

#1 Voccio

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

So it has been awhile since I have played and there have been many changes to the game. Some of which, others make it look so much more complicated than it was, its a little ridiculous just going into the Mechlab now. Before it was much easier to use, see where things were, and even a little intuitive to users. Now there is a million things on there will little help from the HUD/ UI to control the amount of information being displayed at one time.

But, then I go into play the game. Did this game turn into a Gundam style anime game or something? Was a hyper version released? The speed of the mechs is insane and the way the controls feel now, it doesn't feel smooth at all. Before I learned to move with the mech and go with the flow and knew how to control it. I took my same mech as before and it moved so fast I couldn't get a single missile lock in several games. Like I am playing a twitch style game now, trying to speed it up.

Now it seems the game has progressed, but it is progressing away from traditional Mech Warrior gameplay, and going towards the speed and control of like a Robotech game. Making them faster doesn't always make them better.

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:00 AM

View PostVoccio, on 27 August 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

So it has been awhile since I have played and there have been many changes to the game. Some of which, others make it look so much more complicated than it was, its a little ridiculous just going into the Mechlab now. Before it was much easier to use, see where things were, and even a little intuitive to users. Now there is a million things on there will little help from the HUD/ UI to control the amount of information being displayed at one time.

But, then I go into play the game. Did this game turn into a Gundam style anime game or something? Was a hyper version released? The speed of the mechs is insane and the way the controls feel now, it doesn't feel smooth at all. Before I learned to move with the mech and go with the flow and knew how to control it. I took my same mech as before and it moved so fast I couldn't get a single missile lock in several games. Like I am playing a twitch style game now, trying to speed it up.

Now it seems the game has progressed, but it is progressing away from traditional Mech Warrior gameplay, and going towards the speed and control of like a Robotech game. Making them faster doesn't always make them better.

Your settings reset, causing your mouse speed to be over the top bonkers crazy. Go into the setting menu in-game, and adjust the speed. I have mine set REALLY low, with 0 acceleration.

Other than that, light mechs have had their speeds capped at 170 Kph, far from the 180+ shenanigans they had in closed beta, and early open beta.

Also, when in the mechlab, check the filter in the top right, and switch the viewing mode to Detailed. It should switch you into a very intuitive layout. the drop down one is used for small resolution set ups.

Also: Welcome back to the game! It'll take you a while to figure out what has changed, but here are the big things:

1- Depending on when you left, we have a thing called Ghost Heat. When you fire more than a specific number of a weapon at the same time, they generate extra heat (for example, 6 Medium lasers generate 24 heat. If you fire the 7th within 0.5 seconds, you generate 30+ heat, instead of 28. For ERPPCs it's no more than 2 fired together ... etc. I recommend going to smurfy to figure out the limits quickly. You will get warnings in the mechlab as you are building a mech, if it is breaking the ghost heat limit for a weapon type, letting you know what's up).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale <---- This link

2- Gauss Rifles now require a charge up before firing. You can hold the charge for about 2 seconds before firing. If you hold it for longer, the charge dissipates, without firing the weapon. Helping you save ammo, and also making Gauss not the twitch shooter weapon it used to be.

3- There are clan mechs in the game now. Omni mechs to be specific. Before the end of the year, we should see the first batch of clan IIC mechs.

Here's how Omnis work in a very simplified manner:

You can't switch structure, and armor types, they are hardlocked. You can't swap engines, either. However, you can swap pods between the configs of a chassis, thus allowing you to mix and match hardpoints however you like.

4- There are mech quirks now. They are used to help terribad mechs be not awful. For example, the hunchback gets a lot of health and armor quirks for it's hunch, making it harder to destroy than before.

Quirks so far have covered: movement rates, movement speed, armor, health, weapon ranges, cooldowns, heat, jam chance, and spread. So they are getting very comprehensive, and they can really help a mech out.

When you are selecting a mech from the mech select screen, there's a big blue button in the lower right that says "Mech Details" click it. It will help you immensely.

5- Trial mechs are not the stock scrap mechs anymore. Instead, we have community designed builds for them (this does not apply to clan mechs yet, except for the Timberwolf, we have the community designed one in-game, and it is very solid). Take them out for a spin, and see what things are like in those.

Again: Welcome back, and I hope to see you on the field.

#3 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:02 AM

> I couldn't get a single missile lock in several games

sounds as a fps problem
press f9, what's the number in the upper left corner

or it may be a mouse sensitivity problem as iraqiwalker said

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 27 August 2015 - 06:02 AM.

#4 Sheriff Cinco

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

The lock problem could also be ECM. There are alot more ECM mechs wrecking locks than before. Paul said that the will be reduced in the near future, making lock only missles a little more usable.

Another big change Iraqiwalker missed is VOIP (praise the mech gods!). This is in game chat that doesn't require you to have TS or Vent. This makes coordinating PUGs alot easier. it sometimes still feels like herding cats....
Welcome back!

#5 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:28 AM

Hello Viccio,
Sorry to read you are disappointed, as for the Mechlab there is the expanded view that might help instead of the column view, the expanded view offers a complete view just like in Smurfys Mechlab so that should help out.

For the missile lock, as the others wrote check your mouse and FPS.

Speeds, well that is more a question of perspective, the speeds are within lore and speed tweak elite level skill act as the super charger if you are familiar with the table top version which is classic battletech. The speeds you where noticing also adds value to those light Mechs that were a joke before and now they are a real treat, Im mainly an Assault Mech pilot and dueling speed vs fire power and equalizer at some point.

Don't forget that many player go on XL engine which makes them more fragile too (except for the Mechs with broken hit boxes) as for weapons the new workhouse is the ER large laser. take time to adjust and I'm sure you will find it enjoyable again.

Edited by TheLuc, 27 August 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#6 Voccio

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:36 AM

Awesome guys and thanks for the patience to answer. Will definitely be looking into these and trying them out.

But, a comment about Lights not useful before. So I used to play when the Commando could do 210, it was very fast, but I think the mentioning of the default settings and mouse going to some crazy setting will help immensly. But, back then I used to own with my light mech, only problem would be if I had enough ammo to last the match.

Interested in seeing if I can get back my game as it was before and core out some baddies.

#7 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:49 AM

A couple of other things for you to know. Waaaaay back, the speed was capped at like 100 kph or something due to a lack of server overhead. Since then the speeds have been maxed at ~170kph. Also, initially there was no ECM in the game at all. Ah, those were the glory days of Jenner dominance. So, depending on how long it's been those may seem like drastic changes, and they were. But now the game is much more realistic, which is a good thing, but it's also much more challenging as well.

Keep trying it and you will more than likely get used to it. Welcome back!!

#8 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:51 AM

Before considering any weapon the 'go to weapon' in the game look at the Quirks of the mech you are working with.
One of the Dragons makes an insane dual AC5 mech for instance because of it's Quirks. Some mechs quirks are better than others. Pay even more attention to the variants that got little to no play before.

#9 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostDeath Drow, on 27 August 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

Before considering any weapon the 'go to weapon' in the game look at the Quirks of the mech you are working with.
One of the Dragons makes an insane dual AC5 mech for instance because of it's Quirks. Some mechs quirks are better than others. Pay even more attention to the variants that got little to no play before.

Like my prized WVR-6K with the Large Laser Fist of Death. B)

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

Light mechs survive less combat time now due to HSR as well. Before, depending upon how long it's been, lights had something called Lag Shields, where lag would throw off shots. Now, if it visually hits, the weapons "should" hit and deal damage.

So if you die in a light mech faster than you recall from before, that's probably why.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

One thing that I forgot to mention about speed. The actual speed was limited, not the speed on the speedometer.

#12 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

@OP:

Hello again!

...Goodbye! :)

#13 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

View PostVoccio, on 27 August 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Awesome guys and thanks for the patience to answer. Will definitely be looking into these and trying them out.

But, a comment about Lights not useful before. So I used to play when the Commando could do 210, it was very fast, but I think the mentioning of the default settings and mouse going to some crazy setting will help immensly. But, back then I used to own with my light mech, only problem would be if I had enough ammo to last the match.

Interested in seeing if I can get back my game as it was before and core out some baddies.

The commando is not in a happy place right now. However, every single variant makes for a great SRM delivery mech.

It is 12 v 12 now, so be very cautious, it used to be that an atlas could last a while in a charge, not these days, when you have 12 people shooting at you instead of 8.

I would personally recommend you start in a medium mech, unless you are gung ho about lights like myself and a few other psychos.

Over the years, the light, and assault weight classes have become the two most difficult to pilot well.

Use this website to theorycraft builds, and figure out estimated costs

http://www.mwo.smurfy-net.de

Edited by IraqiWalker, 27 August 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#14 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:23 AM

If you are talking about ssrms... buy artemis for it... they never fixed that bug.

#15 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:45 AM

View PostMycrus, on 28 August 2015 - 02:23 AM, said:

If you are talking about ssrms... buy artemis for it... they never fixed that bug.

I believe that was fixed 3 months ago ?

#16 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:58 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 August 2015 - 02:45 AM, said:

I believe that was fixed 3 months ago ?

Well if true then thats good... that bug was there since closed beta..

#17 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:40 AM

I never saw anything about them fixing the streak artemis bug. Would you happen to have a link?

#18 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

Your apparent problems with missiles notwithstanding, this is my impression as well: Insane speeds of IS lights that - in conjunction with the engine - break some game mechanics, Laser alphas that would make Darth Vader in his Death Star go pale (with breathing apparatus donned!) and TTK that's shorter than in traditional shooters. Tactics with the exeption of Deathballing and (in CW) Zerg-Rushing are non-existent, since every flanking maneuvre etc. is useless when you're deathballed.

At least in PUG-queue.

It's an FPS, nowhere the feeling of moving with a (few) dozen ton(s) of steel around on foreign planets, battling evil successor state scum or mysterious, technologically advanced half-aliens.

Edited by PFC Carsten, 28 August 2015 - 03:56 AM.

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:18 AM

View PostMycrus, on 28 August 2015 - 02:23 AM, said:

Actually, that wasn't a bug.

LRMs and SSRMs share the same lock on mechanics, so anything that speeds up lock on times for missiles will boost SSRMs as well as LRMs.

I read somewhere (can't find it) that it wont be fixed because it was intentionally done (and kinda can't be "fixed" without giving SSRMs their own lock on mechanic.).

#20 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

View PostMycrus, on 28 August 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

Well if true then thats good... that bug was there since closed beta..

View Postmailin, on 28 August 2015 - 03:40 AM, said:

I never saw anything about them fixing the streak artemis bug. Would you happen to have a link?

Well, apparently I was wrong.

View PostTesunie, on 28 August 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

Actually, that wasn't a bug.

LRMs and SSRMs share the same lock on mechanics, so anything that speeds up lock on times for missiles will boost SSRMs as well as LRMs.

I read somewhere (can't find it) that it wont be fixed because it was intentionally done (and kinda can't be "fixed" without giving SSRMs their own lock on mechanic.).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users