• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

An annoying issue.

Because I have a key unbound, I have to rebind the key to progress in the tutorial. (Center torso to legs, I don't use it, and have something else bound there.) Doing the tutorial, I realize I've unbound several options that I don't use. Not going to start using them because of the tutorial, either, but I have to rebind to odd keymaps because the normal bindings have been replaced and I don't want to confuse myself more. Also, most of my numbers are bound to my gaming mouse, which means I have to remap all weapon groups from 4-6, including the alpha strike, because I can alpha strike by holding all three of my weapon groups normally.

Rebinding all kinds of stuff. Since I don't use several functions. Granted, if I was a noob, and hadn't mapped my keyboard it would be okay.

Also, the arm lock and throttle decay are annoying as hell. I can't find a way to get rid of them, either. Got sick of doing target practice with arm lock and throttle decay. Maybe I'll try again later.

The tutorial so far is awesome except for all the above stuff. I could see having my guys practice on it when the above options and stuff have been fixed/activated. Allowing veterans to skip past move and shoot stuff would be good so we didn't have to unbind, rebind, then unbind/rebind again.

Edited by Peiper, 28 August 2015 - 04:06 PM.

#103 Blackster Leroux

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

This is awesome PGI! This certainly a step forward, especially for the newcomers to the game. It's also a great review for all Mechwarriors so I have asked the pilots in my clan: Widowmakers, to all run through it.

Keep it up boys! Loving it more all the time!

eB
Khan Blackster

This is awesome PGI! This certainly a step forward, especially for the newcomers to the game. It's also a great review for all Mechwarriors so I have asked the pilots in my clan: Widowmakers, to all run through it.

Keep it up boys! Loving it more all the time!

eB
Khan Blackster

#104 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

View PostOdanan, on 28 August 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

This is very good stuff!

PvE must become PGI's priority from now on.
PvE is very important for both new (so they can learn the game before being stomped by more experienced players), old (who want a break from the repetitive PvP system) and casual players (who want to play a quick or easier match without deep commitment in time or attention). Not to mention PvE can be the salvation of CW.

Now let's hope PGI will continue to develop this feature. The "survive wave after wave of enemy mechs" mode is very promising. I believe that, if well implemented, PvE will be the main "game mode" for a lot of people (specially if there is a co-op support for it).

PS: Sometime ago I posted this wishlist. I see PGI is much closer to make the dreams come true than I expected. :)

I know a lot of people feel this way and that's their right, but PVE that is anything more than a training tool will be the death of PVP.

Just as there will always be orders of magnitude more single player games because so many people like to be the hero, and are afraid to lose to other human beings, if there is PVE for entertainment's sake instead of just learning how to play, the number of players that will participate in real matches will be hurt.

MWO has long needed a better training tool for new players, since the learning curve is so steep, but PVE focus has killed too many good online games through the years in my experience.

#105 Captain Artemis

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

In current state, I can say only one thing about the Mechwarrior Academy: Outstanding.
It will definitely prepare new players for the upcoming tasks.

On the other hand, in case of long game scenario. I'm very disappointed by the glaring lack of the lore element in it. We are destroying advanced and expensive equipment for what cause? There is no introduction to the very important part of the game, which is the House and the Clan warfare, and what the Battlemech is.

I would rather see that River City as the frontline warfare, where interesting character Captain Adams is trying to prepare the new rookie for the upcoming tasks (by attacking already destroyed piece of equipment to learn him his job), which would give the immersion, which I can see none in the Mechwarrior Online.

Non or less, keep the good job PGI. Amazing work!

Edited by Captain Artemis, 29 August 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#106 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

I think the new tutorial will help bring in and keep new players. This new thing has so much going on, it is almost a mini game rather than a tutorial.

#107 Desintegrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:24 AM

Yeah - this is great and really essential before the Steam launch starts...

But I think that many new players will stop playing after a few battles against experienced players. Because it makes no fun, running around a corner in the shining new bought Blackjack and running into a 60 point Daishi Alpha Strike - which kills you instantly.

Leaving you behind with 25000 Cbills and 50 XP points per match...

#108 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

I didn't try all the exercises in the tutorial, but both rapid fire and running the gauntlet could do with some tweaking.
Rapid fire needs bigger jumps in resilience of the turrets between each try. It got rather boring rather fast.

Running the gauntlet, are you not supposed to shoot the enemy mechs? I didn't during my first lap, then I started shooting them when I realised you stunned them for 10 seconds (or, to be precise, 10.000000 seconds, it's important to have 6(!!!) decimals just in case someone thought it was just kinda 10 sec I suppose? :P )
Anyway, during my third lap the mechs started to get destroyed, so I destroyed all of them. After that it was just running lap after lap with no opposition at all.

It needs some work, either that new mechs spawn every new lap or that the enemy mechs can't be destroyed or something. It should also somehow encourage you to torso twist to do well, like having the instructor telling you to try and spread damage by twisting your torso.

#109 Hazar Kath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

Looks pretty good actually. Will def help train our Steamy new recruits. Tho I still think they really need a cadet queue for the newbies to practice for a while without too many big dogs around.

#110 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:10 AM

#111 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:06 PM

Great work on the tutorial!
Brought some MC to appreciate the hard work, thanks for the 20% bonus too.

My local currency is crap right now, and only can spare this much.
Posted Image

#112 Captain Artemis

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

Btw... Is that Jim Raynor in the Academy intro?

#113 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:08 AM

Not bad. to what has been published on YouTube. A tip because there can be no proper training for each class? only a hint.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users