No Clan Mechs To Select

11 replies to this topic

#1 Zfailboat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

I know this is not the final patch, but you need to have clan mechs as a selectable option for the full roll out also.

Otherwise all you do is encourage every new player into the IS part of the game, which unbalances the game.

New players need an equal opportunity to try both clan and IS mechs to make an informed decision about their first purchases.

#2 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

The cheapest Clan 'mech is 5.8 million; there are IS heavies that are cheaper than that.

I say keep the Clans out of the tutorial, the siren song of their overpoweredness are luring enough players to their doom as it is.

#3 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

I think for the training tutorial keeping it all IS is fine, as it adds a bit of imersion that the game has SORELY lacked up to this point.

But yeah, they should be allowed to pilot clan designs for the gauntlet training segments.

#4 YaKillinMeSmalls

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

For the time being, if you want to bring a specific Clan mech into the tutorial, you can select it from the home screen and then launch the tutorial (after completing and exiting basic training).

#5 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:08 AM

I would see clan tutorial as a separate mode.

That would provide some immersion and lore and why the techs don't mix

#6 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:07 AM

That is a good idea Greyhart, i think introducing them in a "Hard Mode" or in advanced lessons would be great.

#7 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:12 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 28 August 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

I would see clan tutorial as a separate mode.

That would provide some immersion and lore and why the techs don't mix

It would be cool if each house were slightly different, too. Maybe just the instructor's name, rank and voice.
Possibly house favored variants in the 'mech selection.

A clan Academy could focus more on 1 vs. 1 combat...

...just ideas for immersion.

Edited by Hotthedd, 28 August 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:09 PM

Heh, Clan academy,

"Trial by Combat, Go."

~Leone.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostZfailboat, on 27 August 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

I know this is not the final patch, but you need to have clan mechs as a selectable option for the full roll out also.

Otherwise all you do is encourage every new player into the IS part of the game, which unbalances the game.

New players need an equal opportunity to try both clan and IS mechs to make an informed decision about their first purchases.

the tutorial tries to be a bit lore like, so a mix of both mechs would not be fitting here. Clanners in general fit not into the way the commander acts. There is anyways just a few IS mechs to test, and their laodout isn't even a good one at all. I doubt this will lure poeple to the IS.

Clantutorial would have to be an own thing since clanners would probably teach their warriors different

Also, this is just an initial part, I wonder how PGI is going to tutorial the mechlab.

Edited by Lily from animove, 28 August 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#10 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

I can see a Clan tutorial be its own thing, where it walks you through a 1v1 process (once PGI irons out proper AI mech movement) and teaches you the finer points of piloting. It could then go on and cover positioning and such, introducing more simultaneous enemies and how to handle those situations.

It would all be part of the same tutorial system, just one section of it handled by a Clan instructor with Clan personality and features Clan mechs, giving new players the chance to try them out.

#11 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

would be cool for a Option at the Beginning (IS or Clan),
than Change all the IS mechs out for Clan ones, just different Instructor,

but YaKillinMeSmalls has already said if you really want to test your Clan Mech now?
Select your Clan Mech and then Enter the Academy and you will Start as your Clan Mech,

#12 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

Problem is that Clan 'mechs and equipment have always been an 'extension' of the base rules which include IS gear. As a result, I'd be more in favour of leaving it to advanced tutorials or even player discovery.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users