29 replies to this topic

#1 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

I'm starting this thread so we can get the community's feedback on the new MWO Academy. I have included video of my entire playthrough for those of you who do not have the PTS client installed so you can see what PGI has put forward for the new player experience and still contribute your input. I am outlining my points in bullet form to keep the information concise so PGI can act on our input. Please respond in kind so that I may present Russ with a finalized list of recommendations at the end of the weekend.

1) The first cut-scene was ok, but perhaps an overlay of the Inner Sphere as the pilot is dropping into the atmosphere would help the new player understand the geo-political landscape of the game better.
2) The instructor starts off really cheesy, but later dialogue is better scripted.
3) The first dialogue box is unclear and new players could be confused by the scroll bar that doesn't work. IDK if bug or not.
4) I think the field manual would flow better if it addressed movement exclusively first (introducing the idea of torso-twist early), followed by weapons, then HUD information and finally game modes (including CW).
5) The field manual could do a much better job of putting the information into context. Currently all the necessary information is presented, but how everything relates isn't always clear (i.e. MASC bar is presented in tutorial but never explained).
6) Cutscenes showing how some aspects of the game, like locking missles, MASC or jumpjets work would not be a bad idea. Once again putting the information presented into a context that is easily grasped by the new player
7) Vision modes description says nothing of NARC being indicated there. That omission needs to be fixed.
8) If the new player remaps controls before entering the tutorial, the instructor doesn't always pick up on the alternate input devices.
9) The instructor could do a better job of providing details on what he wants you to do each step of the training. Not explaining things after you have pushed the button to do the action.
10) The differences between ballistic weapons, energy weapons and missile weapons needs to be fully explained. Saying "That's an autocannon, a ballistic weapon." isn't enough.
11) The explanation of the color coded damage on the paperdoll is wrong. Undamaged is the neutral gray color THEN it goes yellow, orange, red.
12) When explaining the various ways mechs can be destroyed, you should explain the difference between clan and IS XL engines and how that translates to the battlefield.
13) The mech swap. Nailed it. It makes the game FEEL like a Battletech game with the gravitas of the mechs apparent. Immersion FTW.
14) The metrics of the different exercises could be explained better by the instructor.
15) Instructor should explain that some mechs have weapon bays that have to be opened first or there is a delay in firing (King Crab).
16) The strengths and weaknesses of each weight class should be explained in detail.
17) The "trial" mechs at the Academy should get rid of the redundancies in mechs with similiar loadouts so new pilots can experience firsthand the differences between say a ballistics boat and a laser boat.

Edited by Kristian Radoulov, 28 August 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:29 AM

Honestly, if you haven't posted this in the appropriate forum, you may as well be doing a disservice.

#3 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:06 AM

there is a special feedback forum btw

#4 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:07 AM

Snap, totally spaced it. Can one of the mods move this thread please?

#5 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 28 August 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

Honestly, if you haven't posted this in the appropriate forum, you may as well be doing a disservice.

I like to flame Kristian on a regular basis, but I think opening this thread in General was a good thing. Noone looks into the other forums and the topic is important enough. I like it.

#6 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 28 August 2015 - 02:07 AM, said:

Snap, totally spaced it. Can one of the mods move this thread please?

you can just make a new thread there and copy&paste the feedback

View PostPaigan, on 28 August 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

I like to flame Kristian on a regular basis, but I think opening this thread in General was a good thing. Noone looks into the other forums and the topic is important enough. I like it.

i'm pretty sure if you want that the pgi's staff would read your feedback it's much better to post it there :3

#7 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:02 AM

I'd like to see some additional content around the phonetic and greek alphabets and what is utilized in MWO. More explanation on weapon groupings.

#8 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:04 AM

phonetic, greek.... they didn't even bother to support cyrillic properly

#9 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

• Captain Adams needs to be NOT ON TOP OF BUILDINGS
  • Mechs and objects need special death animations instead of poofing into smoke, so that people know its a simulation (for example, turning into a bunch of 10010101010111011001s)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 28 August 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#10 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Capt Adams can headshot you while dead. He doesn't need you physics or logic.

#11 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostTennex, on 28 August 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

1. Captain Adams needs to be NOT ON TOP OF BUILDINGS

If he's not on top of buildings, how can you watch him dance?

View Postorcrist86, on 28 August 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Capt Adams can headshot you while dead. He doesn't need you physics or logic.

That's because he's the new Chuck Norris.

#12 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 28 August 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

If he's not on top of buildings, how can you watch him dance?

That's because he's the new Chuck Norris.

Captain Adams is the epitomy of stompy stompy robots

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

The Op MAY have a have point or two but the brief nature of the tutorial is onthe plus side. It never got boring so adding every detail may not be the way to go.

The polish comments may have more merit.

This is an unfinished version everyone is seeig and its likely already better at this moment than what is being shown.

#14 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:29 AM

Here's my take on it:

Looking at it very quickly, one can see that PGI put a lot of effort into the tutorial, and by far, is better than the old and current one as of now.

It presents practice challenges for the new player and C-Bill rewards for finishing them, thus is a plus to the new player experience.

Another plus would be that the new player is able to change their mechs while in-game, a new function that makes testing loadouts funner and easier than ever before, also presenting human workers helping you, the pilot, get into the mech.

And the final plus would be the dynamic fly throughs that occur while in training, and while first arriving at the academy.

A few things the player should be notified about while I watched the new Tutorial and experienced it:
  • The enemy mechs and Captain Adams that turn, look and fire at you, are not what you are hoping for. They are basically turrets that can look around and shoot at you, nothing more
  • The destructible cars are not really "Destroyable"; they do not seemingly leave behind anything as they should, and an example would be the trees in MWO that are actual objects you can knock over. Moreover this is a public test so this is to be expected.
  • There is seemingly no Clan version of the Mechwarrior Academy, thus, players are going to have to learn how to use functions that the Inner Sphere mechs don't. Again, this is a public test, and a new thing PGI has not done in awhile, and may take some time to actually provide a quality tutorial like they have shown as now.

Oh and BTW going to move this there as per said.

Edited by Scout Derek, 28 August 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#15 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

not a huge fan of mechs and objects turning into a poof of tiny smoke when they die

#16 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

1) The mechs avaliable to try out in the Academy, range from bad to god-awful. Is the 90kph, 4 flamer, 4 machinegun Firestarter really what we want new player to try?

2) The messages and task descriptions need bit more exposure. Got confused at least once.

3) Enable player to select task by clicking on it on a field manual instead of waddling to it for 2 min in a King Crab.

4) Overall quality is superb. It's like i'm playing a different game.

Edited by gloowa, 28 August 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#17 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

Video has finally finished uploading. Please keep the feedback coming to we can finalize our suggestions and give the dev team a direction to work in.

#18 Varvar86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 441 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

its better than nothing, really. But it's short and overloaded with information without any proper explanation.
Yes players nowadays are not ready to spent more than 5 min. for tutorials - that’s their right. If tutorial will be too long and boring nobody will complete it. So player must know the basics and jump in battle (that’s what 90% will do immediately after basic training). So we need to do it both short and informative.
Let it be like:
very very very basic training. This is mech, and you are now inside. How to look around, and how to move (throttle decay and arm lock and explanation are EXTREMELY needed), indication of positioning on the minimap, crosshairs and what’s they means. Weapons groups, and where are they mounted. Fire 1.2.3… Heat and what it do with mech. Enemy and friendly marks on map. END.

BUT – instructor must say that player can learn more about any type of weapons, range shooting, positioning, mech’s classes and weight, all special devices and modules, everything. Because after first 4 matches 90% players will probably have tons of questions like “how?” and “why?”. And academy must contain all main answers, so players can return and learn about lasers/cannons/missiles/heat/ECM/BAP etc.

It’s like “shoot 1 group weapons by pressing left button of the mouse or button 1 on keyboard” “this is medium lasers, if you want I will tell you more about this weapons and it’s different types” Player can skip this proposition and proceed (and probably will) “ok, but remember you can always ask me about that after we will finish here” and notification like (after finishing basic course you can any time learn more about all weapons types and their specification in main Academy screen. “countinue”). And such must be sad about all important things.

Moving course is badly missing proper explanation about arms and torso movement. Informations are presented but without special highlighting on this issue. It should be something like legs are blocked and. “turn your torso right… and here is the maximum level of torso twist of this mech. Every mech has it’s own maximum level of torso twist. But hold on, try to move your hands, you see they can move much further sideways. Don’t forget that mech arms more maneuverable, learn the limits of your movement to reach maximum effectiveness on the battlefield. Ok, center your torso. Good. Now try to aim your weapons at me (target stands on the roof of the building). Ha! you see? You can’t because your mech also has limited vertical angle twist. Now try it with your arms…. that’s right. Your arms turn angle is better, remember that. Now lets try to shoot something….” It also an be connected with shooting at stationary targets (use mech arms weapons to hit target that is out of torso turning angle limit) to give practical explanation for the player.

At the end.
Was happy to see human models in tutorials, they presenting of mech sizes very good. It will be even better if player will start near the instructor as a pilot on the ground, waiting his mech to drop from the transport. You see that HUUUUUGE machine hitting the earth with epic “BLAM!!!” sound. Than you walk to it and feel so smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal.

Anyway good start.
P.S. - AI is not working at all =( mechs doesent react and did nothing on tests they suppose to shoot at me.

Edited by Varvar86, 28 August 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#19 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

i agree with varvar that, at least racing tasks, should be made more easier to grasp and faster to run, with those endless 'rounds' without any proper separation and with some unclear system feedback

#20 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

Trying to find the MW3 ones but there do not seem to be any & since I have Windows 7 it will be a pain to reinstall.

Can someone say memories?

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 29 August 2015 - 05:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users