Victor 9K (Non Gauss)

15 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

Anyone have some good builds for this mech? I have been playing around with a gauss+erLL with some SRM's, and i swear, for the life of me i can't make the new gauss work. I have not used one since they added the recharge way way back. But man, is it a super hard weapon for me.. I spend half my time just trying to get the stupid thing to fire, and getting my arse handed to me.

Maybe i should just practice, and have my PSR drop, but i am not sure i will ever get it to work right.. So that in mind, anyone have some builds they use in this thing that don't include a gauss? I wanted to just put an ac-20 in it, but it won't fit. I was thinking UAC5, but just one? might be lack luster.. I was also thinking just stuffing missiles and energy in one side, going STD and using right side as a sheild. Anyways, after 6+ matches and 1500 XP, i figured i would ask you guys.. cause so far it aint working at all.

#2 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

VTR-9K

VTR-9K

I think i would try something like these lines without gauss,use those jump jets in brawls and spreading damage.

But i do highly recommend trying out the gauss in testing grounds with 3 large lasers,assign the gauss to groups 1,4-6 so your reticle reacts better when you charge it and the release is easier to time when you get an visual confirmation via the reticle.When alphastriking,charge the gauss first and instantly when you let go of the gauss trigger,press the lasers and aim for the same spot,works for ppcs too.Needs bit of practice,but couple of hours of testing grounds it should be somewhat of an reflex.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

Actually, with the new Academy test available, try the Gauss-Jager in the rapid fire test. a bit boring an repetitive, but hey, repetition is what you need to get the feel for the gauss charge timing. I'm betting it'll be faster that way than trying gauss in game. At least, I know it took me awhile to get it in game.

As for the victor... Yeah, kinda hard to figure out what ta do. You could try an Ac 10 an ppc build, but I don't have one myself, so don't know what would work.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 28 August 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:47 AM

The gauss rifle is probably the single best weapon in the game, well worth getting comfortable with. I'd recommend running it on your 9K until you're comfortable with it. And any non-gauss build on this mech will be sub-par.

#5 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:22 PM

I would not use UAC-5s on a Victor. The Victors generally require XL engines to be effective - that makes the UACs a death trap. A big, broad mech with large torsos and an XL engine that needs to stare at enemies to do damage is not that good an idea in my book.

The Gauss Rifle is seriously the best idea. The AC-10 is somewhat underwhelming, UAC-5 is not a good idea and you can't fit an AC-20. Even if it's a hellish grind stick to the Gauss and get used to it, it will only do you good in the long run.

#6 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

For using the Gauss you must stare 0,8 secs on your target for charging up.

The best result I had with 3xLPL + UAC5. You just need to fire it more then once if you are not the focus.

But honestly, Victors are bad. The 3K is the worst of them all. I sold it. Kept my S and my DS. Sometimes I use my Dragon Slayer poptart ... just for good old times ;)

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

View Postxe N on, on 29 August 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

For using the Gauss you must stare 0,8 secs on your target for charging up.

This is just not true. You have a full one second window in which to discharge the gauss rifle, so you should be charging it as you come out from behind cover (or out of a twist) and then firing it when you have a good target.

#8 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 28 August 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

But i do highly recommend trying out the gauss in testing grounds with 3 large lasers,assign the gauss to groups 1,4-6 so your reticle reacts better when you charge it and the release is easier to time when you get an visual confirmation via the reticle.

This helped me improve my gauss firing by a lot.

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

The gauss does work well when i can get it to fire.. the slug hits almost instantly which is pretty cool too. I was thinking the UAC5 was bad anyway, it was just sota a passing thought, I honestly don't use it on any mech. (i have 49) I always go with the AC5 instead. I am also running a dual ac'5 on my other victor with a PPC and streaks which is working pretty well i must say. Just trying to get used to it is all.. to me it plays a lot like my Cataphracts.. Sorta a slower heavily armored heavy, instead of an assault.

I think for the time being I think i might give this a try for leveling as i really wanna get them to master. The idea with the 3 puise and ac-10 i might try as well, as i run a fang with an ac-10 and dual pulse with fairly decent success. SO i think they would play a bit similar in that sense, albeit a bit slowe, ok maybe more than a bit (15KPH, those dragons are fast!)

But this might work out ok.. with proper twisting i should be able to really tank well in this set up. Only way to see is to try..
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...88afa4cd03ae17f

But i suppose i should spend a weekend in testing grounds one of these days.. :P

#10 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:50 AM

All my Victors are on hold until the balance pass on mechs is done.

But I still remember how fun it is to have a JJ assault with a lot of speed.

Here is a Quick Assault for you to try.

One dead side for shielding (granted, the XL engine makes it a bit less tough to kill - Side torso and all that - but you can try a Slower Version with a STD engine for increased durability).

Try them and have fun.

#11 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 28 August 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

Anyone have some good builds for this mech? I have been playing around with a gauss+erLL with some SRM's, and i swear, for the life of me i can't make the new gauss work. I have not used one since they added the recharge way way back. But man, is it a super hard weapon for me.. I spend half my time just trying to get the stupid thing to fire, and getting my arse handed to me.

Maybe i should just practice, and have my PSR drop, but i am not sure i will ever get it to work right.. So that in mind, anyone have some builds they use in this thing that don't include a gauss? I wanted to just put an ac-20 in it, but it won't fit. I was thinking UAC5, but just one? might be lack luster.. I was also thinking just stuffing missiles and energy in one side, going STD and using right side as a sheild. Anyways, after 6+ matches and 1500 XP, i figured i would ask you guys.. cause so far it aint working at all.

I know you were looking for non gauss builds but the gauss is ideal for this mech ( IMO )

Put the gauss in ANY of the weapon groups you are not using. This will put more "green dots" around the targeting reticule when the rifle is charged. Makes the sound of charging less important, because lets be honest you can't hear that **** in the heat of battle.

Gauss is also extremely fast, negating any ballistic experience you've had previously. It will take a bit of time, but it is worth it. 15 dmg where you want.

Victor 9K (Mini Heavy Metal)

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

Belatedly, RE:gauss rifles, you want to get really comfortable using the weapon group ready pips surrounding your reticule. Neutral for ready, yellow for charging, green for charged, red for cooldown. The same colours are available in the weapon group on the bottom-right, but the pips let you see it while keeping your eye on your reticule.

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostAmsro, on 03 September 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

I know you run that (and similar mechs) a lot, but I have to ask...4 tons of gauss ammo? It seems like a second JJ or an XL340 would a be better use of tonnage than that last ton.

#14 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 03 September 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

I know you run that (and similar mechs) a lot, but I have to ask...4 tons of gauss ammo? It seems like a second JJ or an XL340 would a be better use of tonnage than that last ton.

Heh I suppose you could get away with that, but I've been down to the last couple shots many times, any dual gauss mech I have usually has 8 tons of ammo.

Never want to run out of Gauss ammo.

Edit; you know me well.

- Zeus 6S
- Heavy Metal
- Fang
- Enforcer 4R
- Thunderbolt 5S
- Ilya Muromets
- King Crab
- Dragon Slayer

I just can't get enough Gauss. But I do have lots of other types of mechs without Gauss. ^_^

Edited by Amsro, 03 September 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostAmsro, on 03 September 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

Heh I suppose you could get away with that, but I've been down to the last couple shots many times, any dual gauss mech I have usually has 8 tons of ammo.

Never want to run out of Gauss ammo.

Thank. FWIW, I run 20-30 depending for a single gauss and 40-50 on DWFs for two, 50-60 on JM6/EBJ dual gauss. If I run out, we probably won.

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 03 September 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Belatedly, RE:gauss rifles, you want to get really comfortable using the weapon group ready pips surrounding your reticule. Neutral for ready, yellow for charging, green for charged, red for cooldown. The same colours are available in the weapon group on the bottom-right, but the pips let you see it while keeping your eye on your reticule.

Oh, i did not know that. that might help. As for gauss, I did use it when i first stated playing. My first 100 matches were in a trial Dragon that had a gauss and 2LL's. It's what hooked me on the game. but that was before the charge up mechanism. I haven't run a single mech with it since. I more of a AC-20 kinda guy. I like to brawl and my long range aim is suspect :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users