- - - - -

Stealth Vs "low Signal" Warning

12 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

I'm confused on how ECM gives away my position when its in either Disrupt or Counter mode.

If I don't want to risk giving them that tell (setting up an ambush) what mode should I be in?

Or is there a way to turn off ECM altogether? Again, I've heard so many different things, I'm no longer sure.

#2 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:23 AM

There is no off mode for ECM. If you are within 180 meters and in disrupt mode, you will always cause the low signal warning and hud flicker. If you are in counter mode, you will be visible as per normal and you will counter an ECM within 180 which would also be a tell. I you won't to use ECM for stealth, keep in disrupt mode AND stay more than 180 meters away from the enemy.

#3 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

ECM is getting a buff when it's going to have it's range reduced to 90m.
Not exactly sure when it's coming out tho.

#4 Rawnblaed

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 44 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostKira_Onime, on 29 August 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

NIce!

#5 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

If you are behind the enemy turn ecm to counter. That does not reveal your position. You only appear on the enemy radar if you are in that triangle in front of him/where he looks at. If you approch him without being seen turn the ecm to counter to avoid being revealed by low signal.

Edit: That does not apply when some other enemy "sees" you, of course.

Edited by Kotzi, 29 August 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#6 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

Uh, it's not a buff, it's a nerf.

If you want to be in ambush mode and hiding, you could always look in the direction you want to look and then power off. That will turn your ECM off. There are some HUGE disadvantages to this strategy though. So many, that I actually wouldn't really recommend it.

Instead, leave ECM on disrupt to hide your dorito from enemy radar. If you want to sneak up behind someone, lock them and watch your range. When you get to about 200m (BUT NO LESS) switch your ECM to counter and then continue sneaking up behind them.

Note that if you do this, if they are standing still and have Seismic Sensor they will detect you.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostKotzi, on 29 August 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

If you are behind the enemy turn ecm to counter. That does not reveal your position. You only appear on the enemy radar if you are in that triangle in front of him/where he looks at. If you approch him without being seen turn the ecm to counter to avoid being revealed by low signal.

Edit: That does not apply when some other enemy "sees" you, of course.

AMEN.

IF you're close enough that your ECM would give you away, you should be in COUNTER instead of DISRUPT.

THIS implies that you do NOT close to ECM range of an otherwise-unaware enemy mech that is carrying ECM, as either mode is a giveaway. This still leaves the enemy not knowing EXACTLY where you are, just that you're within ECM range. In PUG drops, this may sow some chaos, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. Slowing down their advance, or disrupting the perfectly-positioned ambush or defense, can be every bit as valuable to your teammates. It's worth considering.

BASIC PUG rule for ECM, though?

When outside of ECM range to any enemy, ALWAYS disrupt.
When inside ECM range to a NON-ECM enemy, COUNTER unless/until spotted, then DISRUPT.
When inside ECM range to ECM enemy, DISRUPT unless/until friendlies need to get target data on enemies, then COUNTER.

Start there. Tweak to your desires, and especially if you start playing with a team (even casually) you may want to consider working out best practices with your teammates.

Also, ALWAYS stay aware of your ECM mode and environment. That is, in addition to knowing what ECM mode you're in, you'll need to know:

Are nearby friendlies being targeted, that I can protect with ECM?
Are there nearby enemy ECM mechs? If so, how many, and can I effectively counter or protect solo?
Are there other nearby friendly ECM mechs? If so, how can I coordinate ECM with them?

This last point is important. If BOTH of you go counter on one enemy squirrel, there's NO ECM cover for nearby friendlies. If that squirrel is carrying 360 Target Retention, you're letting his allies get free locks on your teammates even as you run him off. His job, to sow chaos within your team's ranks, to seize some part of the initiative, is done and done well. So, when teaming up with another ECM mech on your team, it's nice to have a plan. "If we encounter a single enemy ECM, I'll COUNTER and you keep on DISRUPT. If we hit a pair, we BOTH COUNTER and return to friendlies ASAP. If I go down, you inherit COUNTER duties. If either of us goes down, the other returns to friendlies to provide ECM umbrella and/or counter-ECM, as appropriate." THAT sort of thing. Basic rules, easy to practice in PUG drops.

ECM on heavy/assault mechs? If there IS one, then ECM lights on that team are just as well to get out away from them. Let any non-ECM lights or mediums ride the bubble and fend off squirrels for them. THAT frees up the ECM lights to go do what they do best. (Cue broken record sound.) SOW CHAOS!

If you're the D-DC pilot driving ECM, you'll want to remind your faster brawling comrades that you HAVE the umbrella, you'll be a popular target ("Bullet magnet"), and try to keep up. That sort of thing. You'll want to try to stay central in the pack, keeping the ECM bubble up on your pals to fend off the LRM-swarm.

My $.02, anyhow.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:08 AM

View PostKira_Onime, on 29 August 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

View Postmailin, on 29 August 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

Uh, it's not a buff, it's a nerf.

it is both or ether depending on the purpose you are using it for, if you use the ECM as an umbrella to protect your team then it is a huge nerf (about 1/4 the area covered), if you play as a stealth assassin then it is a big buff allowing you to get closer without giving away that you are there.

if you want to use ECM for stealth stay at least 240m from the enemy, within 240m a BAP could turn off your ECM.

if you get within 180m of the enemy while your ECM is in disrupt mode the enemy will know you are near, within 150m in counter mode another ECM will be countered so an ECM equipped enemy will know you are near

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:22 AM

I don't think of it as a buff at all. If I'm worried about giving the enemy a low signal, I'll turn ECM to counter. I thik of it as a missile shield for my team, so it's a nerf. Also, I'll need to get within 90m of an enemy ecm to counter him, so that's a nerf too.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:46 AM

In my book, the buff is minor, but the nerf is very major.

#11 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

Someone may have seismic sensor and may see you at minimap in any case.

#12 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 30 August 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

Someone may have seismic sensor and may see you at minimap in any case.

Yep. There's no black and white rule, having the right touch about when to use counter/disrupt is a skillful part of running an ECM light.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 August 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

Yep. There's no black and white rule, having the right touch about when to use counter/disrupt is a skillful part of running an ECM light.

That is why I NEVER recommend ECM mechs for beginning players. In the proper hands it really is a thing of beauty, but in improper hands, it can be a source of endless frustration.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users