44 replies to this topic

#1 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

Over 80 matches in this Blood Money thing with the new PSR and my KDR is dropping like a lead ball in a vacuum. 80+ matches should bring some semblance of things evening out and adjusting accordingly. NO FRIGGING WAY!

PGI, I know this is the first pass, but you need to make some serious adjustments. History once again repeats itself. Massive changes, rather than gradual, and massive problems and negative issues. Granted, ELO had its problems, but at least there were some close and fun games on occasion. With PSR there have been a few, but less than with ELO. Either get STOMPPED, which is frustrating, or STOMP them, which is boring. This is equating to less fun, more WASTED time, and a lessor desire to play.

#2 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

This happens to you.
But it's not happening at me...
How's that?

#3 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

I have no idea, but there are things happening in the background that we, as users, have no clue. Example: when they >said< they fixed the OC server it did for most, but it caused my ping to go up 50ms and it hasn't come down since. Didn't affect NA or EU, just OC, and according to tracert it was not a routing change. West coast NA to Singapore should be an easy link, but they somehow managed to screw it up, at least for me.

My point is this: Just because you were not affected does not mean that others were not. The nice thing about the Blood Money thing is you can check your game history game by game over the last few days, and mine continually goes downhill. I really doubt that I have lost 15+ years of skills from playing some form of MechWarrior on line and it all disappeared overnight. PGI did something and the only >announced< change for match making was PSR, therefore it is logically the suspect.

#4 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

Just because you were affected does not mean most people were - or were not.

Also, you're equating KDR or personal rating with the quality of your matches, and concluding that the matchmaker is to blame. This is an error. To start, you're not accounting for confounding variables - namely, the Blood Money event. People play differently when they've got a challenge to work toward; often, they alter their behavior counterproductively, trying to raise their match score and shooting their own feet in the process.

Then there's the fact that your "15 plus years" of playing other similar games are not fungible. It's not like you've got 15 ranks in "Mechwarrior Gamer," and you're rolling skill checks against other people to play the game. You've got habits, skills, and tactics that pertain to MWO in particular, and when something disrupts teammate behavior - whether its a challenge event or a shake-up of the matchmaker - those habitual tactics and practices can clash with the modified behaviors of your teammates.

Edited by Void Angel, 31 August 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#5 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

I've noticed that matches seem to tend to be total stomps one way or the other now. The number of 12-0 and 0-12 matches as opposed to more even ones has increased dramatically.

Most of mine have been 12-0, so I'm not complaining. It's been pretty nice. K/D has gone up and matches are generally fun.

#6 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Angel, maybe, maybe not. Worth considering. For what its worth that 15+ years includes 2+ years here at MWO. While this account is not 2 years old, it is my third account. I'm no newbie here and I understand the untold number of variables involved. Input noted.

Thastus, that is right on target. More stomp games than before the ELO to PSR change. Been on both sides. Winning in such a fashion is BORING, and losing in such a fashion is FRUSTRATING. Just seems that we had more close games before the change. Maybe Angel is right and Blood Money is skewing the numbers. In either case it makes the desire to play MWO less than it was, and that is sad. I enjoy the genre, starting with the original MechWarrior, internet play with MW3 on the MicroSoft Zone in the late 90's, and forwards until now. Maybe I am expecting too much, but after 10's of 1000's of man hours in development I would expect more. (BTW: retired SW Eng. so I know about SW development cycles.)

#7 Cylian

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:52 PM

For me it's far less stomps overall. Still happens, but the vast majority of games are closer to 7+/12.
EU Server still seem to have a rather odd behavior at times though.

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

Under the Elo system, I used to get placed in PUG teams stacked mostly with incompetent noobs, and a couple of decent players. We were expected to be able to carry the less experienced players to victory, but mostly we'd fail.

However, under PSR, I now get placed in PUG teams stacked mostly with incompetent noobs, and a couple of decent players. We're expected to be able to carry the less experienced players to victory, but mostly we fail.

So, thank goodness for PSR - it's such an improvement over Elo.

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostChaosity, on 31 August 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

Angel, maybe, maybe not. Worth considering. For what its worth that 15+ years includes 2+ years here at MWO. While this account is not 2 years old, it is my third account. I'm no newbie here and I understand the untold number of variables involved. Input noted.

I find that's what happens to me - I have extremely bad streaks during challenges and the like, often because my teammates are all trying to hide behind each other at the first hint of enemy fire. Throw in the disruption of people whose statistical history doesn't reflect their overall skill, and...

It's gonna take a while for everything to hash out, even sans Challenges, and we don't know how long, because we don't know the k factor for PSR.

Edited by Void Angel, 31 August 2015 - 01:21 PM.

#10 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostChaosity, on 31 August 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Over 80 matches in this Blood Money thing with the new PSR and my KDR is dropping like a lead ball in a vacuum.

it means your enemies are more skilled than those that you used to fight before

PGI, I know this is the first pass, but you need to make some serious adjustments.

to put you into a lower tier? :3

#11 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

Unfortunately, since my computer had a meltdown last week, i have missed the entire Blood Moon Event, which was something I looking quite forward to, but it does not matter much to me, there will other Events at a t later stage that I will be able to participate in, although I do wish that some Events in the game cater more for people who do not spend money to play and be for free players, as well as well as releasing new 'Mech bundles which do not require you to b=spend real World money just to get and have some new release 'Mechs sold not for MC to start off with, but go directly to being sold for C-Bills.

But then I can understand the reason because selling the bundles for MC and having to pay Real World money, considering the amount of time and effort that the production team and designers, in all their tireless work have done to make this game a reality.
I guess that I am just just one of the unfortunate pilots in the game, not being able to pal Real Word like most people, since I do not have the case for it at the moment :-(

#12 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 31 August 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

it means your enemies are more skilled than those that you used to fight before

How observant you are. ;)

That was the whole point of the initial post. The change is supposed to match you up with players closer to your skill level. Like I said, I've been on both sides, 12-0 and 0-12. I just want more closely matched games (inference... more fun games) than unbalanced games.

#13 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostChaosity, on 31 August 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Over 80 matches in this Blood Money thing with the new PSR and my KDR is dropping like a lead ball in a vacuum. 80+ matches should bring some semblance of things evening out and adjusting accordingly. NO FRIGGING WAY!

PGI, I know this is the first pass, but you need to make some serious adjustments. History once again repeats itself. Massive changes, rather than gradual, and massive problems and negative issues. Granted, ELO had its problems, but at least there were some close and fun games on occasion. With PSR there have been a few, but less than with ELO. Either get STOMPPED, which is frustrating, or STOMP them, which is boring. This is equating to less fun, more WASTED time, and a lessor desire to play.

Gotta say, this sounds more like a personal problem. My matches during this event were excellent, even with me using the [R] variants the entire time. Not only that, but my KDR has increased and the overall quality of my matches has improved dramatically. Most folks I talk to are experiencing better matches as a result of PSR as well.

It sounds like you are either extraordinarily unlucky or refusing to adapt to your tier level. It's a person problem; not a system problem.

#14 Wayreth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

The problem is twofold. First and foremost (and the point everyone is missing) is that wipes under the "new" system should not happen, period on either side. Second is that under the current system there only exists one way to move down a tier, lose a match and perform horribly. That is it. Anything else you stay put or advance. Lose and perform mediocre please keep your psr, Peform well still lose here have some PSR. The point of any ranking system is to reward people who win, I feel that this is some little league baseball tourney and everyone gets a trophy here.

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

View PostChaosity, on 31 August 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

How observant you are. ;)

That was the whole point of the initial post. The change is supposed to match you up with players closer to your skill level. Like I said, I've been on both sides, 12-0 and 0-12. I just want more closely matched games (inference... more fun games) than unbalanced games.

Actually... with more even skilled pilots on each time stomps are going to be more likely to happen. This is because, all being equal, once one person dies on a side, the other side has one "extra" person of the same threat level. This continues to snowball until one side is stomped.

With PSR, you have no "occasional" higher level player(s) to possibly save your team from the stomp, if not reverse it.

The more balanced matches become, the easier stomps will be to happen. It's just harder for 11 players to beat 12 players if they are all "of the same skill" level. I think that is what is happening here more than anything else.

My opinion here, don't look at the win or lose for "fun". Actually play the match, and see if it feels more fun to you. I've had stomps, both ways, and it was more fun for me with PSR than with Elo. I felt the matches were more even to start with, and that my fellow players seemed to be on average a more even skill level to my own.

(I could go into more depth of the nature of a stomp, if desired.)

#16 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

View PostChaosity, on 31 August 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Like I said, I've been on both sides, 12-0 and 0-12. I just want more closely matched games (inference... more fun games) than unbalanced games.

i watched sjr vs cjx on twitch yesterday, they competed who would get smoke kitties in that new nbt league (an a side note con cap and green turkey units managed to share the rights, but jags are too individualistic), sjr won 2:1, there were 3 fights... and all 3 fights were hard stomps like 12:2 or so

imo it's a very good example that stomps in mwo are built-in into the game mechanics

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 31 August 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

imo it's a very good example that stomps in mwo are built-in into the game mechanics

It's simple PvP and mathematics. It will be unavoidable, and which every team gains the first couple kills, tends to hold that much more of an advantage. Especially when all skill levels are considered even.

#18 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:12 PM

PSR Sucks........... P, S, R, S, U, C, K, S

Yay I win spelling bee!

#19 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

OP, did you play a lot of your games with a group? Since PSR is based on in-game performance and typically with a team you're going to do better it could have artificially inflated your PSR and it may not exactly be indicative of only your skill level.

I think that group PSR and solo PSR should be separate entities, that or group PSR should have some sort of scaling to account for the natural advantage of working in a team.

I also think there should be separate scores per weight class but it looks like that's not going to happen

#20 Embalmed

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIn ashes

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:17 PM

The few times I have played solo under the new system, my team was flat out murdered. Sometimes we were lucky enough to get one kill, and I think a few of them we managed to score 4 kills (hooray us?)

My unit pretty much quit after a few days of horribly lopsided matches.

I understand that I can't win every time, but some time would be nice... or even a close fight would be handy. I can't say that the new system doesn't benefit anybody, but I can say that I am not part of the group that it does.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users