New Player, Lf Good Mechs

Help Me

33 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan Tsarevich

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

OK, so I am new to Mechwarrior Online, but not to the BT Universe. I've always liked clans, and will likely go that way. What would be a good mech to start? I know in the miniature game I liked the versatility of mediums. Any help is appreciated.

#2 Giving Em The Business

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOn your six, duct tape at the ready

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostIvan Tsarevich, on 01 September 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

OK, so I am new to Mechwarrior Online, but not to the BT Universe. I've always liked clans, and will likely go that way. What would be a good mech to start? I know in the miniature game I liked the versatility of mediums. Any help is appreciated.

I am new and I got the Cauldron Born pack because a friend suggested it.
3 lights 3 mediums 3 heavies, Arctic Cheetah, Shadow Cat, Ebon Jaguar.
My opinion is this was money well spent. (you need 3 of each chassis to master them and the grind is real otherwise)
Very unforgiving mechs when you start imo but they crack heads once you start to learn how this game is played.
I say this because it doesn't play like TT in most respects.
Hope that helped.

Edited by Giving Em The Business, 01 September 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

The Stormcrow is always mentioned as a top medium mech. Other clan mentions include the famous Timberwolf. That's your two best options there. Hellbringer for ECM.

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

Mediums, the Storm Crow is top dog right now. Giving Em The Business made a great call buying the Cauldron-Born pack (so did I) for a top-tier heavy and light mech, and a medium that at least keeps paper from flying off the desk.

If your heart is set on MEDIUM, then Storm Crow is the finest in the Clan inventory, and likely in the game. IS mediums like Griffin, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, and Hunchback, all have some serious potential in talented hands. Not sure yet how the Crab is going to work out, in the next Resistance pack. Looks potentially promising. The Hunchback II-C from the Origins pack is likely going to need to be nerfed, lest it break the game.

If you're looking to spend only C-Bills, go Storm Crow. If you're willing to throw down IRL money, pick up one of those packages for a good value, and let the dust collect on whatever you don't want to drive.

#5 Ivan Tsarevich

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:53 AM

Yeah, I don't know if I'm ready to drop RL money on this game yet. I want to see if it is worth the investment, first.

The Stormcrows sounds like a nice option. They were a personal favorite of mine in the old games, so worth a shot. Of course Timber Wolf is another favorite, but I'm going to focus on one thing at a time. Though, reading all the love (and rage) about the Arctic Cheetah is entertaining, and tempting.

#6 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:28 AM

Be wary of the nerfbat.

History says that when people complain about something loud enough, it's going to get smacked.

That aside, enjoy your crows. Personally found them less than thrilling, but I can't argue with performance.

#7 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:29 AM

Hello Ivan, so new to the game but not the franchise, that for you is a good plus. So wondering which Clan Mech to start with.

Just like you, one of my good friend is a fan of Battletech and recently jumped in MechWarrior Online. He did put a bit of extra grind to get the Timber Wolf which always been been a favorite of his, thing he didn't know was that its on of the best Mech in the game.

all and all just go for the one you like and adapt the Mech to your play style. Don't forget that this is the only game that offers such a feature, so just go wild. :)

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

Stormcrows are good.

Stormcrow x3 and Timberwolf/Hellbringer x3 and you're pretty much set in the game for anything you might want to do and the rest will just be for fun.

All of them work with Gauss + ERML so grabbing a Gauss CD module(x4) is all you'll need (maybe some ERML CD/range but those are optional). Well, the extra gravy would be 4x Radar Depravation and 4x Seismic Sensor modules as well.

Edited by Elizander, 02 September 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#9 Ivan Tsarevich

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

Between the comments here and some research, it seems the Stormcrow is a good mech to aim for. Thanks, everyone!

#10 Giving Em The Business

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOn your six, duct tape at the ready

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

View PostIvan Tsarevich, on 02 September 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

Between the comments here and some research, it seems the Stormcrow is a good mech to aim for. Thanks, everyone!

As an aside that is relevant somewhat. My 1st day I used the trials because I had nothing else to use and I must admit the Scrow just hurts things. I had no clue what I was doing and I still did a few hundo damage compared to sub 50 with the other trials. That thing is a beast if you can elite it I imagine from all of the Scrow lovers I have seen here. Adder+Scrow is next for me.

#11 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

A little more detail on why the SCR is a good choice for a new player if you like mediums:

The Stormcrow (SCR) remains one of the most versatile and enjoyable mechs in the game. For a new player, you have the chance to elite a SCR chassis by buying 3 different models which you kit out to serve different roles,

The SCR-C or PRIME is the go-to laser vomit build. Put 6 MPL's on it and go to town. Just watch the heat.

The SCR-D is the premier streak mech in the game. Go with 5 SSRM 6's and hunt lights all day long. You'll get trolled by folks calling it the skillcrow, but as a new player, you should learn this chassis and you'll eventually graduate from it. Don't let the trolling bother you.

The SCR-A can be kitted to carry 13 (!) SPL's, making it a deadly short range brawler. Again, watch the heat.

There are other viable SCR builds as well, but most have a similar theme to one of the above. Bottom line, by staying with a versatile chassis you can learn different play styles (and avoid getting bored) while gathering the three versions you'll need to complete the skill tree and get to the elite level where any mech really shines.

If you prefer heavies, there's a similar case to be made for the Timberwolf. Other clan chassis tend to be a bit more specialized (e.g. HBR, DWF, SMR, ACH, etc.)

Edited by Khereg, 02 September 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#12 Ivan Tsarevich

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

Ok, yeah, that Stormcrow is a blast.

#13 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostIvan Tsarevich, on 02 September 2015 - 07:59 PM, said:

Ok, yeah, that Stormcrow is a blast.

I forgot to mention the Gauss + 3 or 4 ERML build. Knock yourself out.

#14 segeri9

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

Just a little additional input if you haven't already, but I recommend playing around with all the trials first and getting your cadet bonus to see which class you really are more suited for. Yes, mediums are very versatile, but some players shine with the most unexpected of playstyles. Just play around first with all the classes before jumping in and commiting to your purchased mech. But as said by a lot of people already, the stormcrow is promising. Just don't count out the other classes first without giving them a shot. you might be surprised. ^_^

tldr: some mechs may be meta, but at the end of the day, it all goes down to what feels right for you. :)

#15 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

When it comes to clan mechs really all of them are going to be rough while your on the basic tree and you will need 3 mechs from the same chasis family to upgrade into the Elite and master tiers which really helps the mechs out and makes them run so much better

When it comes to mediums Stormcrows are an excellent choice for Heavies either Timberwolves or ebon jaguars are both really good choices

#16 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:23 AM

View PostIvan Tsarevich, on 01 September 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

The almost painful logical adivise would be the Stormcrow.
At the same time I'm always a bit reluctant to give that advise because its basicaly a double cheese mech.
It gives you wrong ideas of how a mech behaves and what it can do.
So your "learningprocess" will be stuck at some level because every other mech you use from this point on will be more difficult to pilot effectively.
At this point of the games development there are 4 basic Clan medium chassis:
Stormcrow, Nova, Shadowcat, Iceferret.
All three are a far cry from the Stormcrow, don't get me wrong they are no bad mechs but more circumstantial and while each of them has its own merrits they all have massive downsides.

To learn the ropes of this game start with one of the IS mediums.
The classic avise would be Hunchback, Wolverine, Griffin or ShadowHawk.

Edited by The Basilisk, 03 September 2015 - 01:27 AM.

#17 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:27 AM

If you are into Clan tech, I would wholly recommend the Ebon Jaguar/Shadow Cat/Arctic Cheetah pack. Regarding the price, I have no idea what $90 is to you, for me in the UK it is about the same as a good meal for 2 at a mid-range restaurant, I can balance that against the hours I will spend playing just those 9 mechs. With that deal you also get 9 mech bays, 30 days premium time (these would all cost real money anyway) and 3 "Prime" chassis that earn additional C-bills (that comes in useful, believe me!).

The ACH is currently one of the best mechs in the game and will probably be nerfed hard soon but it will still remain very, very good whatever they do to it. EBJ is a great heavy, very flexible and fun to play. The SCH is the only slight disappointment as it takes a lot of getting used to and only has a couple of viable builds (imho) but if you play it like a big light rather than a medium I think it makes more sense (also, this chassis could benefit when the up-coming "re-balance" happens so don't get rid of it!). Add a Stormcrow to the mix and I think you have pretty much the best the Clans can offer.

Alternatively, be like everyone else and get a Stormcrow, TimberWolf and Hellbringer, level these and get an Arctic Cheetah when they are available for C-bills (December maybe?).

Good hunting and welcome to the game!

#18 Ivan Tsarevich

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

Jimmy, I'll think about it. The additional money would be nice, but I was considering earning as much as I could through normal game play. Besides, I have other hobbies with a higher priority right now, and we are saving for a couple family trips next year. Let me get the cadet bonus and a mech first, and if the income level is unbearable, I might go with a pack.

Basilisk, I will likely stick with Clans for lore reasons. Thank you, though. I guess I can use the other trial medium, which seems a bit more unusual than the Stormcrow.

Segeri, I will certainly do so. I did about 7 drops in the Crow last night. I might try the Hellbringer or Kit Fox tonight.

#19 Ivan Tsarevich

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

Ok, so I tried the Kit Fox and the Mad Dog. The Kit Fox was very much a support mech, with few decent weapons. Not really my thing. The Mad Dog was a disaster. It was very hot, the LRMS seemed like I could hardly use them, and it felt like it was made of paper.

#20 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

trial clan builds (i.e. stock builds) say very little about the mechs... trial is mechs have decent builds though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users