- - - - -

How Do You Unlock Weapon Modules

14 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceBeaver

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

Hello, recently came back to MWO and curious how you unlock the weapon modules?

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Go to your Skills tab at the top of your screen - it's below the 'mech skill trees, under Pilot Trees

Edited by Void Angel, 01 September 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#3 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

Need GXP. Lots of it. This is the part that takes forever...I'm 3000 GXP from getting radar deprivation. I will have my Jester fully mastered by the time I get it, I think. I'm only Quick Ignition away from full elites :)

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

^^^ THIS.

Now, there are LOTS and LOTS of modules.

Mech modules require you to expend GXP one-time to unlock them. THEN, you have to pay C-Bills to buy them. Think of it this way: You need the skills to use the modules, or you're just buying a 2-6 million C-Bill paperweight. Choose carefully, then spend the GXP and C-Bills.

Weapon modules are just a hair different. They're also expensive AF, but you have skill levels with each. There are five (5) skill levels to each module, and a different module for every single weapon (even NARC and AMS). Actually, TWO. Per weapon. And separate ones for Clan and IS versions of the same weapons. Generally, there's a range and a cooldown module for each weapon. As you can probably guess, one extends the weapon's range incrementally with your skill level, and the other shortens the weapon's cooldown time incrementally with your skill level. Different modules (each much be purchased and equipped separately), different GXP skill investments (each level for each module must be unlocked separately). The skill levels for weapon modules generally cost 500, 600, 700, 800, and 900 to unlock (increasing 100 GXP per level), for a grand total of 3500 GXP per module per weapon, times two different modules per weapon, and only so many weapon module slots per mech.

These weapon modules especially work well with certain mechs that are quirked well for those weapons. I spectated once in the cockpit of a friendly SDR with a single ERLL. That mech is already quirked well for it (SDR-5K(C) gets RIDICULOUS cooldown and beam duration improvements already), and the fire rate on that thing was BEAST. Add the ERLL module, and it's like a big blue laser machinegun almost. Pretty sick. Alternately, if you're in a mech that's quirked negatively for a certain weapon, but you WANT to carry that weapon badly, the modules can help offset the negative quirks. For instance, some omnipod configurations for the Storm Crow and Timber Wolf have negative quirks for laser duration and cooldown, which can be partly offset by using a cooldown module for the appropriate weapon system. REALLY wanna run that 3x cLPL TBR? Do it. But get a cLPL cooldown module, or it'll be one slow-firing pig.

And so on.

Visit metamechs.com for great advice on setting up your mechs, including the most valuable modules for a particular type of build for most any variant that isn't complete junk (and a couple that are). Even if you're not going to use the builds shared there, the advice on how to play them is solid, and on what modules to use is really helpful too.

Finally, CONSUMABLES! There are modules to improve your consumables, in the event that you use them often enough for this to be of value. I don't. UAVs are sweet if you can pop 'em where the enemy doesn't see 'em. Air strikes are better than artillery strikes, IMO. Cool Shot might be worth it if you run a particularly hot mech build. But spending too much GXP or module space on those is kinda superfluous. They're also relatively expensive in the modern MWO economy. And don't you DARE go paying MC for the upgraded versions, either! There are GXP skills to improve CONSUMABLE module performance, and that's fine if you use that particular one. Otherwise, hoard your GXP for mech and weapon modules that best fit your style of play.

Advanced Zoom and Advanced Sensor Range are probably not a good idea for a short-range brawler. Likewise, while Seismic Sensor or 360 Target Retention may be alright in a sniper, you're better off with stuff that helps you hit distant targets. LRM boat? Target Decay. Improved Gyros and Hill Climb are kinda useless right now, IMO. Cockpit shake is weak at the moment, and only barely reduced by that gyro module. Hill climbing is useful in a way, but the module doesn't buff you much, and JJs are far more useful if your mech supports them.

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

In general, buy the UAV and Artillery Strike consumables, and use them sparingly. You will never get your money back from a UAV or Strike, but they are good tactically - and for grinding out EXP.

#6 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

Obviously you know that to use the artillery and air strikes and UAV you need to master three of the same 'Mech variant, and unlocking them with GXP is the only (and slowest way) but once unlocked, if you have the C-Bills to then buy the abilities (depending on what you unlock, the prices vary from 2,000,000 C-Bills to 6,,000,000 C-bills - and those are just the basic systems), you just add them to the correct module slot in your 'Mech when you replenish you air strikes/artillery and UAV.

A good thing the correct module slot glows when you hover a module around the screen, or I would not have 5 of the slots filled on Harumi, Relena, Kanae and Lucrezia and I do now. :-p

#7 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

Unlock it with a very long grind then be forced to spend millions of cbillw for improvements not worth the cost or way underpriced for how unbalanced they are. Raderp... I am glaring at you.

#8 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:01 AM

Radar Deprivation and Adv. Seismic Sensors, how I love thee.

Weapon modules came into my life way after, and don't make a massive difference honestly. Once you start getting many mechs that use the same weapons, it might become worth it to buy the weapon module. But most of the time I'm spending the C-bills on a new chassis or piles of equipment, not 1-2 high price modules. They just give you a little extra range or dps.

As mentioned on Metamechs and other places sometimes the weapon modules that are worth the most are ones that bring weapons into harmony together. If one of your main weapon systems cycles slightly faster than your support weapons, you can put a cooldown module on the big gun so that they synchronize and allow for more focused damage. Similarly, if you had a build with Gauss and some large lasers, you could give the range bonus to the large lasers so they can do more damage at 500+ metres, where the gauss is still going strong.

#9 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

Here a video if you find it helpful.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:53 AM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 01 September 2015 - 08:33 PM, said:

Obviously you know that to use the artillery and air strikes and UAV you need to master three of the same 'Mech variant, and unlocking them with GXP is the only (and slowest way) but once unlocked, if you have the C-Bills to then buy the abilities (depending on what you unlock, the prices vary from 2,000,000 C-Bills to 6,,000,000 C-bills - and those are just the basic systems), you just add them to the correct module slot in your 'Mech when you replenish you air strikes/artillery and UAV.

A good thing the correct module slot glows when you hover a module around the screen, or I would not have 5 of the slots filled on Harumi, Relena, Kanae and Lucrezia and I do now. :-p

sorry, but unless I am completely misunderstanding what you are trying to say that is wrong.

the UAV, Air Strike, Artillary Strike and Cool Shot consumables can be equipped on any Mech you own and do not need unlocking.
there are upgrades for the consumables which do need unlocking.

you can theoretically unlock any module you want with no Mech with completed basics, let alone unlocking the extra module slot for mastering the Mech

the non consumable modules do need unlocking with GXP before you can purchase them for cbills.

some modules including weapon modules, consumables and a few others have different levels, if you purchase a module then later unlock an upgrade for it that upgrade is applied to any relevant owned modules

#11 Agent Seraphin

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:44 PM

My Trial mechs have Gauss rifles that don't fire. Do I need exp points to open them or is my download buggy?

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:43 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 01 September 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

In general, buy the UAV and Artillery Strike consumables, and use them sparingly. You will never get your money back from a UAV or Strike, but they are good tactically - and for grinding out EXP.
q

If using them is the difference between a loss and a win then you easily get your cash back and then some.

#13 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

View PostAgent Seraphin, on 21 August 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

My Trial mechs have Gauss rifles that don't fire. Do I need exp points to open them or is my download buggy?

Neither.

You shoot with them keeping the fire button down for little time, you will see them turn color(can't remember which) plus you will hear an audio clue about it, then they are ready to be released for little time.

So you need to charge them first and then release it. If you don't release them during that time they are primed, they reset and need to be charged again. Ammunition is used only when you actually fire.

This system of firing gauss is likely to change with the incoming energy draw system, but that will take some time yet.

Edited by Teer5, 21 August 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#14 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

View PostTimicon, on 01 September 2015 - 08:33 PM, said:

As Rogue Jedi has said earlier... This is wrong. (Its late so I am guessing you made a typo somewhere, dont worry, Everyone makes forum mistakes here and there).

First off, i "think" all mechs come with at least 2 consumable slots. Even non-basic mechs should have 2 slots for consumables.

Every new mech I start playing gets at least a 40k cool shot. (And the 2nd slot definatelly gets filled with something).

Also every mech should have at least 1 mech module slot, and at least 2 weapon module slots.

When you master a mech, it adds a Master module slot which can equip either a weapon module or a mech module.

Both weapon and mech modules require learning the skill first before you can equip the module. (Unlike consumables).
Weapon modules cost 3mil c-bills to purchase once you have unlocked the skill. Once purchased, you can remove them from a mech and move them around to other mechs.
Mech modules cost 6mil c-bills to purchase once you have unlocked the skill. Once purchased, you can remove them from a mech and move them around to other mechs.

Consumables like cool shot, UAV, artillery and air strikes can cost anywhere from 10k - 40k c-bills (and there are also mc versions too), and once used are gone forever, and you must re-purchase them. (I always click the box to auto-refil them)

#15 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:35 AM

Save your money and wait for the energy draw to be implented. At the moment in PTS, the weapon modules got completely nerfed into oblivion and are as such a complete waste of cbills whilst in the current live server they are still good for the moment, there is no guarantee it will remain this way. Mech skills got nerfed too, and besides the top speed mastery matter very little now; it doesn't look good for weapon modules in the future.

Edited by NeoCodex, 24 August 2016 - 02:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users